Where does your layout live?

Started by gdandridge, January 19, 2014, 10:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarriageShed

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 20, 2014, 10:44:05 AM
When I started with my layout the only space I had available was the area of my woodturning workshop that was my showroom.

If you imagine that the area immediately behind the door and the same width as the the door and the building to the Right allows me approximately 1.5 metres square.

That's some very solid-looking soil in your garden, Peter. I don't envy you the job of digging it over!

My layout 'lives' in the metaphorical womb at the moment, but it's getting close to its due date.

Peter

4x2

My layout 'Black sheep lane' is sited on on old computer table in the corner of the back bedroom. Good thing about using old furniture is that if you spill some glue, paint or slip with the drill - no problem ! The layout stood up on the left is my Z scale layout 'Earlstone Creak', it's a work in progress (very little progress at that !)... ::)

The shelves are for display at the moment, but i'm sure you can guess what the long term plan is.... ;) Just in case you're wondering what's on the shelf - HO scale at the rear, N gauge at the front and Z scale on the right.

If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Pete33 on January 20, 2014, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on January 20, 2014, 10:44:05 AM
When I started with my layout the only space I had available was the area of my woodturning workshop that was my showroom.

If you imagine that the area immediately behind the door and the same width as the the door and the building to the Right allows me approximately 1.5 metres square.

That's some very solid-looking soil in your garden, Peter. I don't envy you the job of digging it over!
Peter

I should have added that the picture was taken in 2007 when my workshop was newly constructed!

I have dug over the ground extensively since then and it looks totally different!  Another reason for a Rotavator!

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

EtchedPixels

Mine runs round the walls of my home office, it's built into the Ikea shelving/cupboards so that the space below it can hold all the other crap.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

gc4946

I have to stack mine (Fisherlea) vertically when not in use in my spare "box room" where I store stuff and as space is limited there I have to carry it into my living room whenever I want to run trains.
Due to its size and wanting to carry it safely solo most of the time, I can't have too much raised scenery or detail as that could be damaged when I move it back and forth.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Alex

My layouts live in a 13ft x 5ft shed, ex-aviary.

Alex  :wave:

Chetcombe

I'm lucky enough to have a decent space in my garage. When we were renovating our house in rural Pennsylvania about 7 years ago, we included an alcove space for 'storage'. My late father commented that it would make a good place for a model railway... Now the layout is in the alcove and the fiddle yard goes along the side of the garage.

Note the snow outside and the skis on the wall - the one downside with using a garage is the temperature variation :cold:
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

port perran

Mine's 6x3 and lives above a single bed in the spare bedroom. Has to move under the bed when guests stay.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

DCCDave

I'm also lucky enough to have a garage to use, it was converted to a railway room in the summer. At the moment it's a woodwork building site for boards.

Cheers
Dave

lil chris

My mancave, a bit of a tip at the moment needs a bit of attention
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Vanders

I have a nice 10x8 manshed to the side of the house. Even that seems cramped, even in N!

lil chris

I seem to have forgot the pic, thats the second time tonight....thats worrying
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

ParkeNd

Some really interesting and varied replies. By comparison my layout location is very conventional - on a permanently installed purpose built baseboard with legs in the fourth bedroom. Very boring - carpeted, properly lit, and with central heating and coffee on demand!

Komata

It depends:

My 'Main' 'conventional-type) layout (The Tekereru Branch) which is a fold-away unit designed by SWMBO, inhabits a cabinet in our lounge, where it masquerades as a scenic divider, while the Kaisers's Reef (Hauraki) Gold Mining (N.L), an  micro-layout inhabits the top of the china cabinet, and Te Kereru Mining and Investment Co. Ltd. (another small portable) lurks in a spare room...

There are also several other 'Tea Tray-sized' micro layouts scattered around in random places, 'awaiting further attention....' (aka 'Some day my Prince will come...')

As I said, it depends; thanks for asking.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

1936ace

i have a 4.5mtr by 3.6mtr fully lined and insulated train room built inside my garage. Its nice and dry and never hot as above it is the mezzanine level i use for storage; even in our hot summers. i put a good size window in one wall so im not "boxed in" plus i get to lokk out over my fire engine, yes i still have one left!
BArt

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations