CCT vans

Started by mickey26, January 12, 2014, 04:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickey26

I am trying to increase my rollingstock. Can someone please tell me what is a CCT van? What do the letters stand for and what are they used for?  :thankyousign:Mickey 26.

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: mickey26 on January 12, 2014, 04:18:03 PM
I am trying to increase my rollingstock. Can someone please tell me what is a CCT van? What do the letters stand for and what are they used for?  :thankyousign:Mickey 26.

Covered Carriage Truck.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_Carriage_Truck

They were used for all sorts of duties...particularly parcels.

Leo1961

Try this link  :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covered_Carriage_Truck

EtchedPixels

Covered Carriage Truck

Way back when posh people used to have their personal horse carriage conveyed with them, and their servants and horses. For this open flat wagons called 'carriage trucks' were designed.

Carriage trucks got used to carry everything from his Lordships carriage to farm machinery and even artillery pieces.

Over time covered ones appeared with end loading doors 'covered carriage truck' (CCT).

CCT normally implies the vehicle has wide end loading doors so you could in theory drive a car onto it while a "van" typically only loads from the side.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

mickey26

Thanks Alan & Claude. I thought maybe parcels, but maybe a designated parcels van - Express Parcels - would be better.  Or, -Rule 1 - a 35T Railfreight sideloading van hooked behind the early morning passenger train. I've learned something anyway. Thanks. Mickey26

EtchedPixels

Most CCT vehicles also had side doors, so their CCT designation in no way precluded them from being used as normal vans.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

port perran

I think you can justifiably use a CCT in a parcels train. All sorts of vehicles were used in parcel train formation and I'm fairly certain that CCTs were no exception.
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

joe cassidy

Presumably at some point in time, when the gentry no longer had carriages, the only use for CCTs was parcels ?

Best regards,

Joe

NeMo

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 12, 2014, 09:06:07 PM
Presumably at some point in time, when the gentry no longer had carriages, the only use for CCTs was parcels ?
That would be assumption, too. Seen lots of photos of full brakes, GUVs and CCTs all jumbled up in the same parcels train. So far as I know, only the Southern Railway version of the CCT is currently available ready to run, but Farish have a BR version in preparation, I'm told.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: joe cassidy on January 12, 2014, 09:06:07 PM

Motor cars. In fact  many CCT vehicles were designed for that use. Motorail type services really took off in the 1930s. In the 1960s the carflats toook over some of the traffic, in particular because they could be loaded more efficiently.

A lot of CCTs would have been mostly used for other freight traffic, not just parcels but for many years another staple - newspaper trains. The fact that a CCT could be end-loaded allowed them to carry all sorts of loads (even elephants), but they would carry "conventional" traffic just like any other van.

Alan

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 12, 2014, 09:22:36 PM
The fact that a CCT could be end-loaded allowed them to carry all sorts of loads (even elephants), but they would carry "conventional" traffic just like any other van.

Alan

Presumably only found on trunk routes :D

bluedepot

i like these vans... but I think most had gone by the mid 80s so i'll probably not bother getting any.

Southernboy

If anyone is interested there's a 16 page article on such vans in the latest edition of The Southern Way (issue no 25). It covers the history, has quite a few pictures, and a couple of diagrammes.

daveg

Were they used in rakes or just in ones and twos with passenger traffic?

Dave G

EtchedPixels

In earlier days both, a few vans even got wired for push pull usage. In more modern times four and six wheelers got banned from passenger services.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations