!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGS present day commissions  (Read 14416 times)

Offline Jim Martin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18071
    • Awards
Re: NGS present day commissions
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

Hello all,

Apologies to those who've already seen this on RM web but....

I bought Rail Express (which comes with a free 2014 calendar) yesterday and noticed photos of:

86259 Les Ross with WCRC charter rake incorporating maroon Mk1s with proposed Mk1 Pullman (calendar cover)

D1015 Western Champion with charter rake comprising choc/cream TSO with choc/cream mk1 and rake of crimson/cream Mk1s and Mk2s (calendar July)

Engineers train including Carillion auto ballaster. (P49)

So there is no shortage of inspiration!

Cheers

Ben A.

That issue of REx has been a real boon in terms of showing these choices in an attractive light, hasn't it?  ;) Good work on spotting the autoballaster, too: even with the benefit of your reference i had to squint to make it out.

Anyway,  after reading the discussion here and on RMWeb I've decided to put my name down for one of the Network Rail coaches, not least because it fits with some other things that I was thinking of building.

Jim
Believe me. These things always have a logical explanation usually

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2014, 11:32:26 PM »

Hello all,

Apologies to those who've seen this elsewhere, or aren't in the NGS...

Bad news.

We are within six weeks of the deadline ands none of the offered models is even remotely near the 350 threshold.  The nearest is the Carillion autoballaster with less than 20 expressions of interest.

The aim of the project is both to produce interesting new products and to answer criticism that the NGS isn't doing enough for modern image enthusiasts. We have focussed previously on BR Steam/Diesel transition as this is where sales are consistently strongest.

To recap, the possibles we are considering are:

Mk1 Pullman in WCRC maroon
JJA autoballaster in Carillion cream/maroon
Mk2 BSO in Network Rail yellow
Mk2 TSO in Riviera Trains chocolate and cream.

These vehicles can be accurately run with models already available, and none are limited geographically.  In an earlier post I pointed out that in last month's Rail Express there were inspirational photos of three of the four running with other vehicles that are currently available RTR include maroon or choc/cream Mk1s, the Dapol Western and standard Railtrack autoballaster.

It may be that members are holding back on the assumption that others will order; it may be that our previous decisions have been correct and the modern contingent are either small in number or unwilling to support such schemes. The key message here is please don't assume that others are ordering because, clearly, they aren't and if this project fails at the first hurdle I think such schemes are unlikely to be revisited.

The deadline is the end of February, so if you DO want one, or any, of these models or even then please just email the NGS shop before then.

I appreciate that the models selected may not be *exactly* what you want, but they were carefully selected to be non-geographically specific so if you're modelling the present day any of them could, in theory, be justified. And if we wish to see future such commissions then please consider supporting this one.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »
Sory to hear that Ben A. What a disappointment.

I can only speak for myself and say that the choices just weren't what I'm looking for.

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »
 I'm really disappointed by this news. I put my expressions in for 4 autoballasters and te NR coach too. I'd buy these quite happily.

Shame... Cheers, Timmo
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline 54strat

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 01:10:04 AM »
One NR registered and fingers crossed that this happens. It would be a real shame for any future initiatives of present day stock if this fails to get started.

I've mentioned elsewhere, although not my main interest I'm happy to support this hoping that others may do the same with an eye to the long term development of other such models of today's stock.

And having something yellow might cheer up all that blue.

Paul

Offline Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 07:24:20 AM »
I'm really disappointed by this news. I put my expressions in for 4 autoballasters

Me too as I put my name down for 3 because I thought that it would have more of a chance of getting to the 350 total than the coaches.  Oh well right in one respect but so wrong in another.

The NGS must find this whole matter rather odd as some modellers say they don't want kits, which the NGS does in spades, but now they don't want rtr as well.  However it's better to ask up front than be left with a dent in the bank account because a model didn't sell.

Nigel

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 07:37:42 AM »

Hi Nigel,

The auto ballasters are in the lead but it's a fairly moot point given the tiny numbers involved!

I have put this note out just to ensure no one can say after the deadline that they were planning to order a dozen but just didn't get round to it.  The time to act is now.

I appreciate those modelling the sectorization era might not want any of these models, but then I wouldn't classify that as present day and plenty of the EWS and even BR blue models we've already done are suitable for that era.

But I struggle to see why anyone depicting the present day wouldn't want at least one of these.  The Carillion auto ballaster fits in well with Railtrack ones for a little bit of engineers' variety; the network rail coach makes a good "short train" with Farish NR 37, 31, upcoming 57 and generator BG while charter rakes have even run over freight only lines.  And I think the chocolate and cream mk2 has been in that livery for years.

I honestly don't think a different selection would have made a significant difference; I can only think that the "modern" fraternity, while vocal, is smaller than we might like.

But as you say, at least we tried and it's cost us nothing except time.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 08:12:25 AM »
Not sure if this counts as being 'Off Topic' but does anyone have any information as to when the GWR Collet BGs will be available. The last I saw was in October when the revised CAD drawings were received but since then, silence.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »

Hello Trevor,

Sill waiting on final CAD drawings for approval.  The change in personnel at Dapol has not helped the schedule, but also I've been reluctant to sign off on the drawings until I'm happy and we're not quite there yet.

Cheers

Ben A. 

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:50 AM »
Hi Ben,

Not a current NGS Member, so no vote for me I'm afraid.

However, I cannot see past either the NR coach or the Carillion Autoballaster as the current models offered by Bachmann are relatively scarce.

It would be a shame to see the project wither, but I suspect that the Autoballasters may offer the least risk if the NGS were to take a 'leap of faith'.

Either way, I don't envy your decision!!!

Regards,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline Dave Searle

• 2mm Association Number: 1189
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »
Bad news.

We are within six weeks of the deadline ands none of the offered models is even remotely near the 350 threshold.  The nearest is the Carillion autoballaster with less than 20 expressions of interest.

Hi Ben,

That is sad - I put down for 5 autoballasters, 1 NR yellow and 1 maroon coach.  Given the speed at which Dapol's batches of contemporary stock seem to sell out, I would have expected a higher take up.

regards,

Dave

Online Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »

Dave - I am surprised at just how low the take up has been!

Stu - if we don't reach the predetermined threshold of 350 expressions of interest then we won't be proceeding. We know the transition era modellers support projects - the question was, will modern image modellers do the same given the criticism of NGS for focussing too much on the 50s/60s era?  Evidence so far seems they won't!  But they can't say they weren't asked.  Either way, we won't be taking any chances with our members' money!

Cheers

Ben A. 

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »
Ben, I've just been on the NGS website perhaps I'm being dumb but where are the links to these proposed projects, also it would be nice to see some sort of pictures of the proposed models as not every one (including me) knows what they all are and look like.

Offline StufromEGDL

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • So there's a picture of the real thing like that??
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
Hi Ben,

Yes, I can understand the stance of not 'risking' the Member's money.....especially when the target audience has been quiet, and there may be some opposition from the other period modellers.

There are a lot of modellers around (I personally know 3) MI modellers who do not frequent this group and may have missed the journal article...or filed it away for future reference etc.....but as you say, no feedback =no model...shame!!

Good Luck
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »
Ben, I've just been on the NGS website perhaps I'm being dumb but where are the links to these proposed projects, also it would be nice to see some sort of pictures of the proposed models as not every one (including me) knows what they all are and look like.

They are on the first page of this thread :)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal