Cracked!

Started by petercharlesfagg, December 09, 2013, 01:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

It is not I that is cracked!

Earlier this year I purchased a new Graham Farish 40145 diesel locomotive for the bargain price of £37.00.

All well and good and today I have eventually got one track usable so thought about running-in whilst I busied myself with other things!

Said locomotive was quite happy circumnavigating the track for about 15 minutes so I reversed the direction.  It went about 5 feet and stopped, whirred and refused to continue.  I picked it up and studied the bogies, nothing immediately sprang into view!

Replaced on track and it was quite happy again for a couple of circuits and then stopped, again!

Removed from track and was studying the underside when I heard a very audible crack sound?

Gently feeling the play in the gear sets in the bogies I heard the noise again and discovered that part of the underframe moved independently and jammed the drive.

I attempted to use polystyrene glue from the bottle but my hands were shaking so much I feared getting glue on the gear train.  So I suspended an opened paper clip in my "Helping Hands" dipped the glue on to the end and raised the locomotive with both hands until the tiniest blob of glue attached itself to the underframe.

After drying all is well again but I suspect that the previous owner had the problem and decided to hand it on to someone else, ME!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Jerry Howlett

Hence the bargain price!

You did better than me I once bought a minitrix 2-6-2 tank engine for a snip on ebay only to recieve a 1-3-1. No drop of glue was going to repair it.

Glad your class 40 is now a goer.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

AndyGif

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on December 09, 2013, 02:51:37 PM
Hence the bargain price!

You did better than me I once bought a minitrix 2-6-2 tank engine for a snip on ebay only to recieve a 1-3-1. No drop of glue was going to repair it.

Glad your class 40 is now a goer.

Jerry
mono rail to north haverbrook.....

Jerry Howlett

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

port perran

Glad you managed to get it repaired !
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

PLD

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on December 09, 2013, 01:56:44 PM
Earlier this year I purchased a new Graham Farish 40145 diesel locomotive for the bargain price of £37.00

After drying all is well again but I suspect that the previous owner had the problem and decided to hand it on to someone else, ME!

??? If it is 'new' (which I doubt it was at that price) there shouldn't be a 'previous owner' to have had any problems...

IF it was sold described as 'New', firstly that suspiciously low price should ave been ringing the alarm bell marked 'avoid'; but at any price, I wouldn't have been fixing a serious fault like a broken component and would have returneded it to the seller requiring a refund or replacement...

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: PLD on December 10, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
Earlier this year I purchased a new Graham Farish 40145 diesel locomotive for the bargain price of £37.00

??? If it is 'new' (which I doubt it was at that price) there shouldn't be a 'previous owner' to have had any problems...

IF it was sold described as 'New', firstly that suspiciously low price should ave been ringing the alarm bell marked 'avoid'; but at any price, I wouldn't have been fixing a serious fault like a broken component and would have returneded it to the seller requiring a refund or replacement...

I am sure that you are aware of the saying "There's no fool like an old fool!" I am he!

I always fall for the sob story and the "bargain"!

I would return it to the seller If I knew who or where he, she or it was but they have "ceased trading"!

On the other hand I am always willing to admit my mistakes and try and patch up the problem rather than climb on to my soap box!

I appreciate what you have written, I also hope that others do not follow me down this path!
..............................................................................................."...................................................................................

As it is the repair failed again and I will have to consider a professional repairer since I am inadequate to the task!  Warmest regards, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

EtchedPixels

I find that glueing a lot of the plastics used isn't really that likely to work. Acetal in particular is a b*gger to glue to anything.

For the 40 you should be able to get the needed plastic bits as spares easily enough. For repair it depends where the damage is but if it bears any load then usually means dismantling until the plastic part you need to repair is liberated and then either judicious rather naughty abuse of a soldering iron or drilling two small holes and screwing the bits together with a bit of metal or additional plastic as a reinforcement.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: EtchedPixels on December 13, 2013, 12:08:21 AM
I find that glueing a lot of the plastics used isn't really that likely to work. Acetal in particular is a b*gger to glue to anything.

For the 40 you should be able to get the needed plastic bits as spares easily enough. For repair it depends where the damage is but if it bears any load then usually means dismantling until the plastic part you need to repair is liberated and then either judicious rather naughty abuse of a soldering iron or drilling two small holes and screwing the bits together with a bit of metal or additional plastic as a reinforcement.

Alan

Thank you Alan,

Things are a little more serious than I had anticipated and I have contacted Bob and will be sending the locomotive to him in January!

I suspect several problems with the bogie are causing more headaches.  The rearmost drive axle on one of the bogies seizes up and the bogie itself is SO stiff in the mounting that it will not twist for corners, thereby answering the question of why it left the tracks!

thankyou for your interest, I really appreciate it, regards, Peter.

silly moo

Hello Peter,

I'm also an old sucker that falls for 'bargains' sometimes it pays off but sometimes I get real lemons.

I have learned quite a lot about taking locos apart and putting them together though.   :D

:NGaugersRule:

AndyGif

This stuff was mentioned on a thread about gluing Delrin from a couple of years ago on RMWEB

http://www.reltekllc.com/bondit-b45th.html

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%