Summat's missin'!!

Started by Dorsetmike, November 27, 2013, 08:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Looking at kits of houses/terraces/cottages, they have gutters and downpipes for rainwater, but I don't recall seeing any waste water pipes which are larger therefore surely more prominent. A hefty pipe from the bog with an extension going above the gutter line, and usually at least two smaller pipes running from it to bath and washbasin outlets and a similar pipe or two from kitchen sink etc ; no sign of any frosted glass windows either

I'bve added some suitable "pipework" on my most recent kit bash and wondering if it's worth adding to earlier builds..
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

stevieboy

They could all have internal waste pipes like my house.

Regards

Steve

Sprintex

We have internal pipework too, but it's a damn good observation nonetheless :thumbsup:

Trying to add in as much detail as possible on my houses - net curtains, TV aerials, even the odd satellite dish being the early 90s. Also inkeeping with the era there has to be at least one house with tasteless stone cladding :D

Paul

B757-236GT

It tends to be more of the suburban housing estates of the early 80s and beyond where it was discovered it was alot cheap to have external pipes. Im not saying that houses before this date wouldnt have it but certainly it seems around then that it occured. It would also normally be on the side or the rear of the house. I cant say ive ever seen it on the front but its always possible.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

stevieboy

Generally speaking:

Front - Rainwater Downpipes & the odd sink/washing machine waste pipe

Rear/sides - Rainwater Downpipes & Waste pipes

Bit more specific:

Terraced - Waste rear (External) & linked downpipe every 3-4 properties (front & rear)

For 50's - 80's suburban houses typically waste at the rear (external)

80's onwards - Internal waste all round (bar sink/washing machine/dishwasher at rear/front)

90's onwards - whatever's cheapest

Dorsetmike

Mine's 1912 detached waste pipes are on the side between houses, some  washbasins have been put in the bedrooms and a downstairs loo so there's quiite a few branches!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Oldman

Mid 90s little box here,  every thing outside.
Kitchen at front(boiler in kitchen), loo and bathroom waste at side just back from the meter cupboards.
No chimney or TV aerial, just sat dish on rear wall.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Bealman

Any chance of a photo of your kitbash, Dorsetmike?

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dorsetmike

Which one?

I'll try and do some pics tomorrow, got to go out probably afternooon, so it may be Friday before I can point the camera around

In recent months I've straightened the Metcalfe corner pub, put etched windows and doors in the low relief stone terrace, cloned the same terrace and added the back half, hacked one of the semis, got another to do, currently doing a brick version of the 4 house terrace.  I've got enough parts cut for anther one or two stone terraces and more brick ones - with different coloured bricks. I've got different porches, and rear extensions so I can make quite a few different versions.

The "basic" Metcalfe terrace going from eft to right (front view) has door, window, door, window, door, window, door, window, I can reverse that, or have window, door, door, window, etc I have single or double porches I can replace the doors with, or use Scalelink cast bays, (single or double storey) I also have Scalelink dormers if I want, windows and doors I use Peedie etched, at the rear  I can have no extension, or a small extension or a large one, single or double storey again.

I can just get two 6 house terrace fronts, rears and ends on an A4 sheet. I start to run into problems though with the number of windows and chimneys, my last two orders for etches and castings came to over £100 that should keep me going for a week or two. I have tried printing window frames to vinyl labels and sticking them to transparency, I may try that again now I've climbed the plotter cutter learning curve a bit further, previously the corners were not square enough.

I can use any of the Scalescenes or Railway Scenics brick, stone, or tile papers
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Jack

It's an interesting point this one. Is it something that can be put down to the scale?

When I've gone along to exhibitions such things are noticed on the much larger scales such as 0 scale and 00, where as with N gauge is it seems to me a case of going for an overall general appearance.

While its encouraging to see fine detail in N, I was always lead to believe N gauge is a "in the distance" sort of view. It's got me thinking now.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Bealman

It is all a matter of opinion (said the man with a wooden leg  :D).

I have been involved with N since 1980, and to me, all HO/OO stuff seem like toys. Like handling huge chunks of plastic with wheels on the bottom.

:thumbsup: :NGaugersRule:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dorsetmike

Re photo request from Bealman, I'm opening a new thread "Buildings hack,  bash 'n scratch"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Dorsetmike

And another thing --- "gullies" and flashing on roofs, always used to be lead, Metcalfe provide ridge tiles in the kits,usually a choice of grey or red, neither look like a piece of lead but they are somewhere near the right width, experimented with various shades pf grey, none looked quite right not "metallic" enough, silver looks too shiny,

wot abart "oily steel", bit better but too dark so add  touches of white until I get a shade that suits me. Paint a couple of Metcalfe  ridge tile strips and stick in the gullies. Now to try cutting zig zag lines on one edge for flashing.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

EtchedPixels

Foil (dull side out) is also an option IMHO
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Dorsetmike

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 29, 2013, 11:28:02 PM
Foil (dull side out) is also an option IMHO

True,but it's out in the kitchen, 'tother end of the house :o
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%