How far can you stretch Rule 1?

Started by Dorsetmike, October 10, 2013, 10:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

I would have thought that Rule 1, being what it is, does not require any stretching as it encompasses all  ;)

cheers John.

H

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 10, 2013, 10:48:39 PM
At the end of the day - it's your model railway & you can do whatever you like.

If rivet-counters get upset with that - stuff 'em 

Not so sure why it has to be 'rivet-counters' (whoever they are) that get upset, or even why the need to be rude about them. From what I've seen it's just as likely to be others including non-modellers, collectors, spotters, illusionists, impressionists, oldies, youngsters, kettle lovers, diesel fans, or whatever who loose their oily rags.

It's probably best to be happy in what you do, enjoy what others do, but be safe in the knowledge that it doesn't have to apply to you.

H.

4x2

Rule 1 = It's your railway, run what you like - simples !  :D

I personally will build a layout to a specific time period and i'll purchase stock to fit that period, however i'll buy anything N gauge and will happily use it on my layout regardless... I'm hoping to exhibit my layout next year and it will be run to period - except for the last hour of the show, where anything goes !  :P

I prefer 60's/70's US outline and early BR blue, but 70's German,  modern Swiss, modern Japanese and anything Industrial are on my wishlist - all will run on my layout as long as it's  :ngauge:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

woodbury22uk

I am deep into Rule 1 mainly because I like to run French and British stock. Then there are different French and British time periods all with fictitious locations. On the layout at the moment are an SNCF BB26000 in "en voyage" livery hauling a 10 coach Corail + set, a six car Blue Pullman, a 6 coach Wrexham & Shropshire Mk 3 set pushed by a class 67, a Virgin Pretendolino 10 coach set pushed by a Freightliner Class 86, and a  4 car Cross Country Voyager. Tomorrow it could be all French, or all British, mainly freight, or mainly multiple units. Does it bother me? Not one little bit.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

portland-docks

This is why i model heritage railways, cos rule one then no longer is applicable to anything i do as i can run what ever i like with whatever i like...

E.g. Im soon to be getting ana ustralian c38 class 3801 steam locomotive, and it will run on moorside and portland with a mix of freight, passenger stock (any livery!)And pullman stock!

I may even be tempted to get myself an hst in either swallow livery or something for my "diesel gala"

Then you have black 5s running with teaks etc

Rule one doesnt exist in my modelling world :)
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

port perran

I started off sticking strictly to my 1959-63 layout.
That is until I purchased a Hymek, then a Class 14 and........ I've just ordered a green Western.
Now....those three are not far off my era but I grew up with them so I'm happy.
Probably wouldn't run to buying modern stuff (as that doesn't particularly interest me) but I might stretch to non WR locos or stock that might (just might) have run in my area/time period.
If it looks OK, I can make up a convincing (to myself) argument for running it !
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Tank

Quote from: Dorsetmike on October 10, 2013, 10:36:49 PM
Taken to extremes that would mean one could run an HST...

Rule 1 is what I live by!  Although I tend to stick to 1980's to 2000 here are some examples:-

Numbers are too high...I wasn't thinking. :doh:

Old picture, but I've since done a rake of Mk3's for it.

I have some others, but I can't find photo's.

trainsdownunder

Rule 1 believer here.

I sold all my UK stock to buy US some time ago (except my old favorite "Swallow" HST) but kept the layout as it was English Country side 1960's. Cant' stretch it any further..

Gnep

I'm Rule 1 plus a bit :)

Notionally my train set (yes, I'm that far off the scale!) is set in the future at some indeterminate point in no particular (worldwide) location meaning I can justify anything from anywhere running in preservation, even if none exist now - someone could build a replica in the future! And modern stock could be in preservation by then as well...

I just enjoy running trains to be honest and fiddling around with bits of modelling - it's my chance to let my imagination run wild...

George

Sprintex

Quote from: Tank on October 11, 2013, 09:44:37 AM

Old picture, but I've since done a rake of Mk3's for it.

That's it, post that picture and make me all unnecessary again! ::)  :worried: :D

Paul

REGP

Started to model late 1930's era based on joint GWR & LMS lines that allowed some LNER traffic.

Then wanted to expanded stable to include interesting BR steamers so decided to also model the mid 1950's so I could include both Early Emblem & Late Crest. In the (erroneous) belief that minimum scenic changes would be required.

Quite how I justify Intercity HST's and Class 47's I don't know.

So I suspect it will be running a rule 1 layout.

Ray

AndyGif

Quote from: REGP on October 11, 2013, 10:32:20 AM

Quite how I justify Intercity HST's and Class 47's I don't know.

So I suspect it will be running a rule 1 layout.

Ray

That's an easy one to explain..... there was a massive leak of chronoton particles and they fell through a rupture in space/time....
All you need is a little blue police box on the layout........

REGP

Ah! good idea Andy.

I can just play the title music as a station announcement as the train approaches.

Ray

:A1Tornado: :Class91: :Class31: :Carriage: :Class414:

FeelixTC

If it wasn't for rule one in the Art world; Picasso would have been laughed out of the gallery.

Michael Hendle

:hellosign:
My layout is set some where in the West Country,so I can run SR and WR steam loco's along side each other,I can think of a few places where they ran side by side,Yeovil,Chard,Bodmin,Padstow.

Only thing is they might be the wrong classes,I have a Dapol Q1,Dapol,Pannier,and Dapol 0-4-2T,and a Union Mills Adams 0395,coaching stock,2 Collett Coaches.a Dapol Autocoach and various freight wagons,next on my list Grafar  N1 and 3 Bullied Coaches,I was thinking of getting a Alpha Graphics 3 Hampshire set.

:A1Tornado: Mike

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £40.67
Below Goal: £59.33
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
May Donations