Mad Mac

Started by Kipper, July 22, 2013, 08:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

Used my MacBookPro on Thursday, and switched off correctly, as not using for a few days. On Sunday I switched on, but no sounds and black screen. Kept trying on switch but no good. Closed lid and Sleep light came on. Opened lid, and light went out, but screen stayed black. Closed lid and light came on again. Left it overnight, and battery went flat, as expected, and sleep light went out. Plugged in, switched on and everything worked OK, except kept flashing up shut down? message. Kept hitting cancel and eventually they stopped - guess it was the same number of times I tried the on switch before. Email and web worked OK, and nothing lost off hard drive. Tried to turn off, and opening page menu bar had gone!!!! Eventually switched off from Safari,, as Finder would not open. Today - all is as it should be, thank goodness.  ???

Woolleysh33p

Quote from: Kipper on July 22, 2013, 08:10:31 PM
Used my MacBookPro on Thursday, and switched off correctly, as not using for a few days. On Sunday I switched on, but no sounds and black screen. Kept trying on switch but no good. Closed lid and Sleep light came on. Opened lid, and light went out, but screen stayed black. Closed lid and light came on again. Left it overnight, and battery went flat, as expected, and sleep light went out. Plugged in, switched on and everything worked OK, except kept flashing up shut down? message. Kept hitting cancel and eventually they stopped - guess it was the same number of times I tried the on switch before. Email and web worked OK, and nothing lost off hard drive. Tried to turn off, and opening page menu bar had gone!!!! Eventually switched off from Safari,, as Finder would not open. Today - all is as it should be, thank goodness.  ???

Take it back to apple before the warranty runs out because they will charge you about half the price of a new one!

:thankyousign:

NeMo

Before you do anything else make sure you have tried resetting the power manager (called the SMC nowadays).

This controls things like sleep and charging, and it sounds like your Mac went into hibernate mode rather than regular sleep, and when that happens, waking the Mac up takes longer than otherwise. My MacBook Pro does this every once in a while, maybe once every couple of months, and I have no idea why. But basically I close the lid, wait a minute, open it up, press the power-on key, and then it wakes up properly. It's annoying, I know, but hardly the end of the world.

Of course if you are still in warranty, a visit to the local Apple Store would be a great move, and if nothing else, they'll check if there's a software issue and maybe put it right on the spot.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Kipper

Thanks for responses - hoped there would be some Mac users on the forum.  :thumbsup:

Still working OK, but see what you mean about Power Manager (found it in the instruction book!), but will also nip it back to the MacStore in Derby for a check over, as it is only 18 months old, and still under MacCare warranty. The idea of a newer Mac, at lower cost but latest spec, sounds inviting.  ;)

Pengi

I've had a few issues where it takes longer to awake my Macbook Air from sleep. Just when I begin to panic  :worried:, it comes back to life! i can count the number of times this has happened on the fingers of one hand - not bad for a three year old computer bought from the Apple refurbished store :thumbsup:

(hope I haven't tempted fate  :oopssign:)

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%