How much time to you get to "play trains"?

Started by tadpole, June 27, 2011, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tadpole

Me? I thought you'd never ask!

I usually get about an hour/day while SWMBO goes to the gym at 1700-1800, and another hour or so at some point over the weekend while she falls asleep watching Come Dine With Me or similar.

Two rails good. Three better.

Newportnobby

I'm a single man so my time is my own. However, I have a great interest in 2 and 4 wheel motor racing so last weekend I was glued to the bike racing from Holland on the Saturday (great) and the Formula 1 yesterday ( :sleep:). Added to which I was keeping an eye on the forum yesterday and the posts were just coming thick and fast so I didn't get much done in amongst the hoovering and ironing etc.
I want to get a new Sundeala baseboard from my local wood merchant so I can really get going in laying/wiring the track

Tank

An hour a fortnight. :thumbsdown:  I only get time when my 1 year old is asleep, but the floor squeaks in the loft, so I can't go up there as I'll wake him.  Catch 22.  I've started screwing the boards down, but I don't have the time....  A vicious circle. >:(

michael

As my list of pre-baby diy jobs gets nearer and nearer to being finished Im starting to get more time on my layout. It can be upto 60 minuets every day now.....

Athough not at the moment as the room is full of lounge furniture while I decorate in there!

Boy or girl, hopefully when baby is here we will have lots of time playing trains together!

Rod

As my wife is working full-time, and I work part-time from home, and the children are all but gone, I get quite a lot of time to myself. But I do a fair deal of cooking, ironing, cleaning etc. and only do maybe half an hour or an hour's modelling/playing a day, if that.
This morning, for example, I made up four sections of Peco platform, got them fitted nicely onto the layout, then stood and pondered what to do next, and that was that. (Apart from looking at this forum, of course).

Rod

OwL

I seem to do more time pondering and arm chair modelling than I do getting things running but the good thing is this forum, The great idea's and layouts i see here from all members on a regular basis help motivate me into doing stuff or just running my favorite engines.

On average i would say 3 hours a week, but as a full time worker, husband, Dad, Gardener, Taxi-service, odd job man, weekly shopper, dustbin man, decorator, washer-upper (you get the jist right? :angel:) Model trains often get put on hold in my busy life :thumbsdown: ;D

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Lawrence

Spend too much time keeping you lot in check  ::)

But the new shed arrives in a couple of weeks, so there will be much to do then, though it will be some time before there are any trains running  :(

Newportnobby

Last time I had a shed I nearly went and slept in it 'cos my dear lady snored like a thrashing Class 55 ;D

tadpole

Newportnobby, back in the 80s I lived in Assen, so used to get tangled up in the pre- and post-TT madness in the otherwise rather sleepy town - great fun. For the weekend itself, I always found myself driving to Den Helder to go offshore, so I saw all the bikes going the other way, but never actually got to go to the races.

Part of the TT circuit forms a public road (and the rest of it isn't fenced off apart from the pits/paddock area), so "back in the day" I drove round it several times in my Golf GTI.
Two rails good. Three better.

barkfast

Quote from: Tank on June 27, 2011, 11:10:36 AM
An hour a fortnight. :thumbsdown:  I only get time when my 1 year old is asleep, but the floor squeaks in the loft, so I can't go up there as I'll wake him.  Catch 22.  I've started screwing the boards down, but I don't have the time....  A vicious circle. >:(

I'm hearing you! Between my 1 year old and 2 year old I"m lucky to get a few hours a week.

Alex

Hi,

It all depends really. Sometimes I can spend up to an hour at night other times I'm not near the shed for weeks at a time. I do most of my modelling in the house so that's not too bad. I've a computer desk in a corner of the sitting room that doubles up as my modelling bench, so I can keep an eye on the forum while I'm working away.

Alex

porkie

I only get a few hours on a saturday as the wife goes to her family since with porkie jnr.

As I work 13hr days I cant be botherd incase I bugger something up :o
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%