Running in Locos

Started by grumbeast, May 31, 2011, 03:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbeast

Hi All,

I've seen a few people mention locomotive performance improve after running in, and wondered if anyone had any typical processes they use for this?  By the time my move is made, my trains will have been in storage for almost 6 months, and quite a few of them haven't really been run.  So I'm looking for some advice on recommissioning so to speak.

I am pleased to announce however that my financial controller (the missus) has approved a significant budget for me to prepare the garage for the new layout and my man cave (which is only fair I guess as I have no space in the actual house we've just bought! ).

Thanks Guys

Graham

poliss

They might need lubricating. Check the instructions to see whether they need oil, grease or no lubrication at all. If they use oil, then a teeny tiny drop on the lubrication points will be sufficient. The Golden Rule is, if you can see the oil then you've used too much.
Running in. Half an hour in each direction at medium speed.

GWR-Kris

is it best to run the locos in DC or DCC when running them in.

scotsoft

Quote from: GWR-Kris on March 11, 2012, 05:09:16 PM
is it best to run the locos in DC or DCC when running them in.

I think you have to run them in on DC, but get confirmation on that before you do.

Sprintex

Doesn't matter whether you run them in on DC or DCC, only reason most people use DC to run in is because converting to DCC usually invalidates any manufacturers warranty (even if it's a plug-in type) so it's best to run in new stock on DC first before messing with it :thumbsup:

If your stock is out of warranty anyway then it makes no difference  ;)

Paul

Newportnobby

When running a loco in, I run it one way for 15 mins then in reverse for 15 mins.
Then I take the loco off the track, turn it round and do the same again.
This way it gets the recommended hour but in all possible directions

dodger

Before you start oiling your locos and if they run satifactorally give them a run in each direction for about 30 minutes. They will soon let you know if any work is required.

GWR-Kris

cheers for the replies. so basically to sum up its okay to run it in on DC or DCC at medium speed, for approx 30mins each way. or 15mins and turn it round on the track.

but the reason most say run in on DC is because it will invalidate any warranty which makes sense.

weave

Hi all,

Not been contacting as SWIVS (she who is very sorry) knocked coca cola on the keyboard. accident??! Have to paste the letter 'a' every orning, oh and m!

anyway am completely paranoid now as have been running 2 locos which seem fine to test the track and have 3 more in boxes. No instructions with them and no advice/warning from shop. Know they need maintenance but thought they would be ready to go. am i a numpty?

They are piko, kato and minitrix. Ta for any help. weeeeeeeve!

weave

H

Below is a page from N'spirations5 with running-in info;

Unfortunately all back issues of this magazine are now sold out but issue #7 is currently in production and is hoped to be available at the NGS AGM if not sooner (apologies for the plug  ;) but hopefully the above will help).

H.

bbdave

I run mine fwds & bkwds round my layout for an hour or so stopping for 10 min breaks to keep the motor cool then i run it very gently for a further hour or so.

Dave

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £90.67
Below Goal: £9.33
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
May Donations