Contributions from the other half...

Started by lionwing, July 16, 2013, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionwing

I had a odd and mildly surprising conversation yesterday evening.

My wife was having a look at my layout while I was out of the room.

On returning to the room and without prompting made a few excellent suggestion that would enhance the level of detail.

I was surprised primarily because I would not expect this level of interest from her usually in connection with my hobbies never mind sanctioning further spending as was done just a few weeks ago!

I was wondering if other modellers experience this level of interest from their partners?

:beers:
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Greybeema

Absolutely.  I think because they don't have the "railway baggage" we do so its like casting a fresh eye over it.  I quite often show the "Other arf" various photos of model railways and ask her opinion.  The answer is often "Its not dirty enough and looks like a model".

Even the great "Coppenhagen Fields" has recieved this comment (think the washed out colours contibuted to this) but on these hallowed pages Stoney Lane Depot and Frankland, amongst others have recieved very favourable feedback. 

So when I get to the scenic bit on Northfleet - I will be inviting feedback - not just from Railway enthusiasts but not railway people too...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Tank

I used to get the odd comment of help when I was in the flat, but now the layout is in the loft of this house I barely see it and the only comments I get are when parcels arrive in the post. :worried:  Those words aren't for this forum! :-X :D

FeelixTC

Mrs TC can't wait until we get into 'scenics, painting and cats'

I believe she has a few 'ideas'  :hmmm:

Mustermark

Liz keeps asking me when we are going to do the ballasting together.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Oldman

SWMBO will always offer constructive comments especially regarding hiding joins of buildings and  what to put along the edge of the board to break the join where the backscene meets it. :-*
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Skyline2uk

Mrs Skyline is very tolerant of the hobby, even when the "mancave" overflows from under the stairs.

Lots of useful advice and constructive help (my only three trees were painted by her fair hands) too.

But the best thing so far is the attitude to further purchases....Last time we went to Lincoln I came back with a rake of JJA's because "if there a good price you will regret it if you don't".... :bounce:

Skyline2uk

Chetcombe

Being of the American persuasion Mrs Chetcombe is somewhat bemused by my little corner of England in the garage... She does have a good eye for scenic tips and was instrumental in a farm (plus animals) making it's way onto a corner of the layout. She was a little disappointed by the traditional English farmhouse, thinking that something along the lines of Downton Abbey would be more appropriate  :hmmm: Thankfully there is no N gauge kit for that :)
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

mereman

Mrs mereman almost forced me into N Gauge. I keep telling her it will be very expensive and all she says is "Go ahead we can only spend it once, let's enjoy it while we still can". She's one in a million, and no she's not looking over my shoulder :D
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

weave

Mrs weave is great. Very understanding and supportive.

Only problem is she knows nothing about trains and when she  did come with me to a model shop once she wanted me to buy a 'Flying Scotsman' loco or something similar. Know Rule 1 applies but a lot of money for a french/spanish border layout set in the 80's / 90's!

Animals seem to be a good excuse for buying more stuff. She wants me to get horses, sheep and border collies (we have 2 real ones). I say I'll get them as soon as I've got more track and tunnel mouths and mod roc to make the hill. Oh, and I need scatter and fencing  :D

Chinahand

Mrs. C (who actually is Chinese) has never seen anything like it and is very keen to help out with the landscaping side of things once we get to that. She can also solder better than I can which is a bit if a b****r.  :-[
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

CarriageShed

Quote from: Chinahand on July 17, 2013, 10:27:38 AM
Mrs. C (who actually is Chinese) has never seen anything like it and is very keen to help out with the landscaping side of things once we get to that. She can also solder better than I can which is a bit if a b****r.  :-[

Very industrious people, the Chinese  :D

Being SWMBOless myself, I'm enjoying all these tales of 'better halves'. Please keep them coming. We probably need a new smiley to use here: 'SWMBO knows best' or something similar...

Lawrence

Della has, in the past, got involved in scrunching up plaster soaked paper towels for building landscapes and has been known to pass the occasional insightful comment which is usually met with the usual Harumph! then acted on once she has scarpered  ;D

painbrook

A right bunch of grovelers, just jealous :laugh3:.Cheers john.

silly moo

Mr Silly Moo has a garage full of tools and is very good at soldering, he knows a lot about electronics and would be a great help with DCC if only he was interested in railways. He helps with carpentry, wiring and baseboard building.

He puts up with a strange railway obsessed wife and house with model railway bits spread around it. He doesn't offer advice about scenery and once told me that the n gauge sheep on my layout looked like maggots!

His interest is cars so when fellow members of the model railway club come round they all invariably end up in the garage talking about cars.

He never asks me how much I spend on models and I never ask him how much he spends on his cars  :D

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations