Local model shop distance.

Started by Wayne 56089, February 22, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne 56089

Hi guys, just heard today that train times in eastbourne is closing on the 22nd of March which I had a feeling it was going to after the death of the owner last year.

Which brings me to my main point of this post, my local model shop is now gaugemaster at ford which is 56 mile away and a bus and train ride as I don't drive and will cost £14!!

How far are the rest of you having to travel without resorting to buying blind on the internet, I do buy of the internet don't get me wrong but I only buy what i know is good and what I want. Scenery etc I'd rather buy in person where I can see the colours etc

Wayne 56089

Meant to add with a decent range of N gauge in stock.

PostModN66

What a good question - I don't know where my nearest model shop is, at least with a decent range of N Gauge.

There are two model shops within about 10 miles, but neither of them stocks much N.  I buy either from Hatton's or from shows.

I'm in Hertfordshire, so not exactly in the Scottish Highlands or depths of Cornwall.  Maybe my nearest shop is Gaugemaster at Ford too - 90 miles.

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

cjdodd

I'm lucky, I have Richards Railways in Yatton and Model Railways Direct in Portishead, both about 10mins drive me from.

silverfox

I'm very lucky, you guys are making me feel guilty, Gaugemaster is only 8 minutes away for me  :-[ ..................4 if I'm riding the Triumph..............18 if I'm riding the BSA (plus 20 getting it to start)

I've bought some long lengths of flexitrack home on the bike which was interesting!!!

Jason

ParkeNd

Nearest model shop is Antics in Gloucester 25 miles away. But they are quite poor for N Gauge. Next nearest is Cheltenham Model Centre 32 miles away. Hattons are so easy to deal with by internet and prices are so cheap I just don't bother with the shops anymore. Same for cycling items and camera items.

d-a-n

Quote from: silverfox on February 22, 2014, 11:53:36 PM
I'm very lucky, you guys are making me feel guilty, Gaugemaster is only 8 minutes away for me  :-[ ..................4 if I'm riding the Triumph..............18 if I'm riding the BSA (plus 20 getting it to start)

You must be local to where I used to live in Ford and Bognor Regis!

I'm lucky to have the Loco Shed up in North Manchester and Waltons of Altrincham within 25 minutes drive of me. I can also jet over to Hattons on Sunday if I need something. I've not made the drive but Sheffield isn't too far (well, 1 hour ish...)

As has been mentioned, shows are your best best for picking things up, if not, you'll have to get on the train to Ford (Gaugemaster is next door to the stop) and bulk buy/make note for future online purchases!

Trev

My local shop is 32 miles away.

They stock a smallish amount of n but are happy to get things in and their prices are comparable to the larger well know stores

I do visit now and again but quite often I just phone them and they will post want I want, quite often without charging me postage.

They are a really nice father & son running it and are very helpful.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

port perran

I have Kernow Model Rail only 8 miles away so guess I'm reasonably lucky.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

silly moo

I'll bet some of our Australian friends have to travel very long distances to their nearest model railway shop. My nearest shop is 11 miles away but none of the shops here have a really good range of N gauge and anything they do have is quite expensive.

Still, they usually have track, ballast,paint etc.

Tdm

Nearest shop is a couple of thousand miles away - have to buy most of my stuff off the Internet. Do fly over to the U.K. at least a couple of times a year to either my son's in Chester (used to be a ModelZone shop there but now closed), or my daughter's in Chelmsford where Dutfields have a shop. Alternatively last December flew over for the big Train Fair in Chester and picked up a few items there although most stalls were selling 00 gauge only. Like Caz would like to make the Bamber Bridge meet, but not possible I am afraid although SWMBO has no objection to me flying over on my own (she didn't accompany me to Chester last December), but I have to pay for it in other ways!

Bealman

Us Australians travel to Whup Whup.

Well, I'd have to - a local shop devoted to model railways died when the owner did.

Although I do believe that some of our capital cities have the odd hobby shop. I have made purchases in Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart and Launceston. However, they ain't been cheap.

Not only that, I'm glad when I fly in and land safely at these places, but Geez, me arms are tired.  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mickeyflinn

Quote from: d-a-n on February 23, 2014, 08:25:44 AM

I'm lucky to have the Loco Shed up in North Manchester and Waltons of Altrincham within 25 minutes drive of me. I can also jet over to Hattons on Sunday if I need something. I've not made the drive but Sheffield isn't too far (well, 1 hour ish...)

Living in near to Manchester too, these are local to me as well.

I also have one in Audenshaw (F&S Models), but they sell mainly kits and OO.

However, I normally drive to Shaw near to Oldham and go to Arcadia Rail. Tim has lots of N-gauge stuff, is very reasonably priced, was Bachmann's retailer of the year 2012 (http://www.bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=150&vis=4), and you can often get a very nice brew too!

And there's also Transport Models in Preston (about an hour away).

Chatty

Funny we were just discussing this at a NMRA Sig meeting today.

Here in Adelaide my nearest shop is some 25 miles away has a good range of European stuff no British Stuff to speak of and is bloody expensive.  There are 2 shops further afield that don't have much stock and a lot of customers holding up the counter.

The group has been waiting some 5 months for some items from one of the local suppliers to complete a display layout for the forthcoming Dog Track Exhibition in June.  We were told that the local wholesaler couldn't get the items as overseas manufacturer was out stock.  Some 10 days later we had sourced it from the US.

And then the local hobby shops then complain that we don't support them.

As George has said prices here are quite high.

Kind regards

Geoff

Have you hugged your locomotive today.

Oldman

Roxley Models in Great Bookham, 7 miles.  Stock Kato and Peco Track, Alsosome Farish but will order stuff if you want
Masters in Tattenham Corner. 12 Miles. Stock Peco and have a really good selection of Evergreen Styrene, stripwood and Brass for scratch building.
Morris in Lancing about an hour by car.
Gaugemaster  about an hour by car.

Also can go to Crawley and buy direct from Langley Models
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations