30th April 2015?!

Started by Tdm, March 09, 2015, 11:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

I fly to the U.K. (Chester) on the 27th of April, and am having a Biopsy in Wrexham Maelor Hospital on the 30th of April. Biopsy is 1st thing in the morning and was just wondering if there is anything going on in Wrexham (model railway wise) that day that I could visit before returning to Chester later in the day.

Don't fly back to Tenerife till the 5th of May, but am in Mold, North Wales overnight for a Wedding on the 2nd of May.

As it is Bank Holiday weekend are any events/shows/fairs in the area whilst I am over that I could call in at?

bluedepot

does chester have an airport?  or is this the one airbus use in the area???

sorry random comment!!! just read you were flying to chester...

tim

Tdm

Quote from: bluedepot on March 10, 2015, 07:42:17 PM
does chester have an airport?  or is this the one airbus use in the area???
sorry random comment!!! just read you were flying to chester...
tim

The Romans built lots of things in Chester - and you still see Romans wandering the streets - usually followed by a load of kids brandishing swords & shields. There's an ampitheatre there currently being excavated, but they haven't uncovered the Airport yet.

To get to Chester usually fly to Manchester (or Liverpool), and there is a train from Manchester Airport Station that takes you to Chester but you have to change at Crewe normally. However this time picking up an Arnold Clarke hire car rather than taking the train.

Newportnobby

If I see anything in Railway Modeller (which I'll get this weekend) I'll let you know, Terry.

cjdodd

I'm not sure what shows are on, but if you venture into Chester itself there is always Chester Model Centre .... might as well spend those uk pounds before you head off home.

Tdm

Quote from: cjdodd on March 11, 2015, 01:23:35 PM
I'm not sure what shows are on, but if you venture into Chester itself there is always Chester Model Centre .... might as well spend those uk pounds before you head off home.

Trouble is I would have to pay VAT if I bought anything in Chester Model Shop whilst over, it's cheaper to buy online and have them sent to Tenerife VAT free (postage is only about a fiver but I save £20 on every £100 spent).

Hailstone

You can recover the vat by filling in the right forms

Regards,

Alex

FeelixTC

Pedant alert  :sorrysign:

..........£16.66 VAT on every £100 spent.

Tdm

Quote from: Hailstone on March 11, 2015, 04:08:14 PM
You can recover the vat by filling in the right forms
Regards,
Alex

I am aware of that, and have done it many times, but it is time consuming - both for the shopkeeper and myself, and you need all sorts of information to hand such as passport details & flight numbers etc. The big boys (such as Hattons) are usually cheaper anyway before deducting VAT, and there is usually an "admin" charge added when you fill in Global Refund forms.

That doesn't mean to say I don't support the small shopkeeper, have bought quite a bit of model railway stuff from Dutfields in Chelmsford when visiting my daughter there, and they have always been helpful in filling out VAT reclaim forms.

Tdm

Quote from: FeelixTC on March 11, 2015, 04:10:48 PM
Pedant alert  :sorrysign:
..........£16.66 VAT on every £100 spent.

See where you are coming from - but depends on whether your £100 price tag is inclusive or exclusive of VAT. If it is exclusive you are saving £20.

jivebunny

It's all irrelevant really - I'm not sure how you've managed to convince retailers to deduct the VAT as EU residents can't reclaim VAT on UK purchases! Go and give Chester Model Centre a visit, you won't be disappointed!

JB

Edit: Handy PDF from the Heathrow Airport website that sets out who's eligible for VAT refunds. Unless there's been a major development that I've missed, Tenerife is still in the EU and so retailers will probably want to avoid getting involved in VAT fraud...

Caz

The Canary Islands are not in the EU although they are part of Spain, only mainland Spain and the Balearic islands are part of the EU.  You try bringing more that 200 cigarettes back into the UK from the Canary Islands and you will get them all confiscated, if you watch the "Nothing to Declare" program on TV you will see how often this happens as people are always trying it on and pretending ignorance.   ;)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

bluedepot

have a good flight then and a good shopping trip for new model trains!

tim

jivebunny

Well there you go, I didn't realise the Canaries were in the EU for everything except VAT.

Even so, it seems like a lot of paperwork for very little gain... Removing the 20% UK VAT just to add the 7% Canary Islands import tax back on when you land is possibly interesting for a few grand's worth of kit, but on £100 it's only a couple of quid saved, to be balanced out against how you value the time it takes you to complete the paperwork. I doubt I'd bother with it, personally. It's not like it's an obligation.

In any case, for anyone reading and thinking of being smart by ordering their model railway stuff while on holiday, all this applies only to people who qualify as non-UK residents. The previous owners of my house apparently thought spending a decade going to France for four months a year made them non-UK residents for tax purposes. Needless to say, HMRC didn't quite agree and, although I didn't know it at the time, the huge UK tax bill they were slapped with meant I was in a rather strong negotiating position when it came to agreeing a price for the house...

But veering back on topic, Chester Model Centre is an excellent and very interesting little shop, and I always make a point of going in when I go back to the UK. The owner Paul is a lovely chap, as are the other employees I've spoken to when I've been in.

JB

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations