The Angels’ Share

Started by port perran, September 04, 2023, 04:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Uh oh.
Been feeling a bit under the weather these last few days and this is why.
Just what I don't need :

Faint but it does show
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

dannyboy

Hopefully it is just a little dose Martin and you are soon back to normal. We will wait, (a bit  ;) ), for the next instalment.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Chris in Prague

Very sorry to read that, Martin. That's very probably what I had a few days ago. If so, it should be past in a couple of days. I wish you a full return to health very soon.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
    So sorry Martin, here`s hoping your are back to full health very soon
      stay safe regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

PhilD

Hello Martin,

Hopefully your dose of Covid will be short lived.

I was impressed with your last picture of Port Perran and have been trying to find a layout plan or aerial photo of the whole layout, but I don't seem to be able to find one. Can you give me a clue as to where I can find one, please?
Cheers
Phil

port perran

Quote from: PhilD on September 24, 2023, 09:10:14 PMHello Martin,

Hopefully your dose of Covid will be short lived.

I was impressed with your last picture of Port Perran and have been trying to find a layout plan or aerial photo of the whole layout, but I don't seem to be able to find one. Can you give me a clue as to where I can find one, please?
Cheers
Phil
Good Morning Phil
Thank you for your thoughts re Covid. I do feel a bit better this morning so I'm hoping it's short lived.
As for Port Perran, it was a layout built in about 2011 (my first return to model railways for 50 years). The photos posted on this forum were, in those days, inserted using Photobucket who eventually started to charge for the service. At that point the photographs were largely lost to the forum.
I'll have a look back on my old PC to see if I can recover a few. Can't promise I'll still have the photos though I'm afraid.
Cheers
Martin

PhilD

Thankyou for that Martin, it
 is very kind of you.

Cheers
Phil

crewearpley40

Hope you on the mend martin
And can return to modelling

port perran

To avoid cluttering up this thread I have just created a new one looking back at Port Perran.
It can be found here :
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=62238.new#new

Hopefully it'll be of interest to one or two people who might remember the layout.

And thank you everyone for your get well comments re Covid.
I'm feeling a bit better today, in fact VERY much better than Friday & Saturday.
However, I'm still not back to normal and still feeling very wooly headed.
If I can I'll restart the Angels' Share thread tomorrow if my ability to think clearly improves.
Cheers
Martin

Chris in Prague

I seem to remember there was a beach halt added towards the end of Port Perran?

port perran

Apologies for the slight break. My Covid has given me a touch of brain fog which meant writing episodes was difficult. However, I'm starting to feel better, although I'm still testing positive, so it's on with the show as it were.

Part Twenty Five

"Thank you for that information young man" said Sandy as he shook Jimmy's hand firmly.

Jimmy had relayed  a full and truthful account of his previous life, which he had already earlier  recounted to Sir William.

Sandy, of course, learned nothing new about Jimmy's past. After all he had been trailing him for some six months and during that time had started to form the opinion that the young lad was worth trying to save from a life of crime if he possibly could. In a strange sort of way he had become to rather like and respect the young lad.

Sandy was however pleased with the information that Jimmy could give him regarding Daniel Brodie. It seemed that Jimmy was well aware of Daniel's dealings in Scotland and also his involvement in the delivery  of illicit whisky to Silliness.
Jimmy also confirmed Sandy's hunch that Daniel was now most likely in Cornwall and passed on some additional information regarding Big Bert who, Jimmy felt, would have already made contact with the Irishman.

Jimmy had also made Sir William aware of his own dealings with Big Bert and had informed him of the attempted break in at the Tregonning warehouses a few evenings earlier.
Indeed, between them Sir William had agreed that Jimmy's very first task the next morning would be to visit the warehouses to tighten up security with new bolts and locks and, more importantly, to catalogue the huge stocks of whisky stored there.

Sandy thanked Jimmy for his honesty. He had already formulated plans to visit the Penny Farthing in Wadebridge and to 'get to know' Big Bert and Daniel Brodie a little better if he possibly could.

The three men then settled down to enjoy another glass of whisky together. This time it was a St Agnes Distillery TenYear old which everyone agreed was another very  fine dram.
Sir William then asked Sandy to invite his wife over to join the group in order to arrange some mentoring for Jimmy and before long several session had been arranged for the coming five days or so.

Sir William took the opportunity to get to know Sandy and Doris a bit better and also, especially for Doris' benefit outlined Jimmy's responsibilities at the distillery.
"We have big plans at the distillery", he went on to say, "Recently we have been sending samples of our whiskies to several locations in England, Scotland and various parts of the world and all have been received with tremendous enthusiasm. Certainly my great friend Admiral Tregowan was particularly glowing in his praise as was my friend Graham who owns the Crown Hotel in Port Poppy".

At the mention of Graham at the Crown Sandy smiled inwardly.

Sir William continued, "I've also heard from my pal Lord Pugh that a consignment sent to the Island of Sonmel was particularly well received. This is where Jimmy here will fit in so well. He is so very knowledgeable and enthusiastic that I, and my colleagues at the distillery, are confident that he will be able to lead our expansion into markets well away from Cornwall and if he can help us break into the Scottish market as well then he will have excelled himself. So, before I bore you all too much, let us   raise a glass to Jimmy".

Jimmy, of course, was somewhat overwhelmed but seemed very relaxed now that he had come to a firm decision about taking the new job opportunity and getting his past history out into the open.

All too soon it was time for the eventful evening to come to an end. Sandy had his plans for the morning and Jimmy, of course, would be off to visit the Tregonning warehouses.

Back in Wadebridge, Daniel Brodie had decided on an early night. He too had plans for tomorrow and  those plans also involved a trip to Tregonning.

An overall view of Tregonning my 'layout in a case' which will feature fairly heavily in the next episode

crewearpley40

Lovely photo Martin

Ad others have said we all love your
Layouts

dannyboy

Glad that you are feeling better now Martin and it is nice to read more of this intriguing story.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Train Waiting

Glad you are keeping a bit better, Martin.

As for illicit whisky coming to Silliness, the rascals concerned will have to answer to Poppy.  She is particularly determined that everything on the Poppyshire & Sillyshire Railway is above board.  Including the wiring.  Especially the wiring!

Another SuperSpiffing chapter - thank you very much.

All best wishes

John and Poppy
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Part Twenty Six

Jimmy woke early in his comfortable room at The Cedars Hotel. He had slept really well but before dropping off had devised an outline  plan in his head to, hopefully,  outwit Daniel Brodie.
Sir William, Jimmy still found it virtually impossible to refer to him as Bill, had mentioned two or three crates of bottled whisky plus at least two casks that were not for sale. The spirit was definitely not up to standard but for some reason had been put to one side rather than being emptied down the drain as would normally happen.
Jimmy decided that if he could find this stock he could use it as 'bait' for Mr.  Brodie.

And so it was, in complete contrast  to the previous morning, Jimmy was able to join Sandy and Doris at their usual breakfast table with the panoramic view out to sea.
 All three tucked into their food heartily whilst discussing, happily, the previous evening's get together.
Interestingly neither man made any reference to their plans for the rest of today.

Eventually, it was, as it turned out, Jimmy who departed first in order to catch the eight thirty train that would eventually get him to Tregonning by around ten.
Sandy had a slightly more leisurely morning in mind. He and Doris would take a gentle stroll down to Trevaunance Cove before catching, unusually for him, a bus, the ten fifty  to Wadebridge.

Daniel Brodie had made an early start. He had borrowed an old, very old, Royal Enfield motorcycle from Big Bert's friend Sid in order to make his way to Tregonning. He needed to locate the whisky warehouse that Bert had told him about.
Bert himself,, who was supposed to be borrowing a pick up truck from another friend,  was due to meet Daniel in the Railway Inn at three that afternoon but Daniel didn't trust him to be on time or to arrive at all for that matter.

In the event, Daniel had arrived at the warehouse, which was remarkably easy to find, by eight thirty that morning. A quick scout around revealed that access would be extremely  easy for a man of his expertise and it appeared, by peering through the rather grubby windows, that there would be easy pickings to be had.
By ten thirty he was back in Wadebridge enjoying a cup of tepid coffee in a rather dingy looking café with Marie.

A very busy scene in Tregonning that very morning
Tregonning in a case was my main experiment with Metcalfe kits.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations