Old locos still going strong

Started by silly moo, January 09, 2014, 11:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussellH

Hi Al,

Nothing wrong with brass on brass/worm etc IF its properly lubricated and you dont mind a little noise.  At least it doesn't split.

A steel worm would be better according to...
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1080/worm-gears

(Brass gears are pre 1984).

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Dr Al

Quote from: RussellH on January 09, 2014, 06:39:57 PM
Hi Al,

Nothing wrong with brass on brass/worm etc IF its properly lubricated and you dont mind a little noise.  At least it doesn't split.

A steel worm would be better according to...
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1080/worm-gears

(Brass gears are pre 1984).

Regards
Russ

I'm sure lubrication helps - but I've seen so many that have been killed by this that the plastics seem better, though only if correctly fitted so there's no splits!  :beers:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

RussellH

Hi Al

Brass geared ones do die from worm wear (avoid this with oil and you'll have something to leave your kids). Anyway were going way from the OP post - old locos still going after all these years - damm good job too or what sort of a hobby would we have. I do wonder how many of the recent locos will still work at a similar age and usage give the design, complexity and lack of spares already. Dont dismiss old loco because they are old - I still use trix warships, 27's and 47's - and after all these years Iv acquired a peco jubilee - something I could never afford as a kid. Quick service and shes lovely runner.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Newportnobby

The very first Farish locos I bought were:-

1105 Pannier
1445 Castle
1905 8F
8133 Class 101

Apart from the 101 grinding to a halt (needs a visit to BR Lines) the others are still going strong and I purchased them around 1985 :)

scotsoft

I bought this lot recently on eBay and the seller had written he bought them in Germany in 1982.

They have since been run and although the loco needed a few helping pushes to get going, once it had completed a few circuits, it was running very well forwards and in reverse.  They are Minitrix and the little loco pulls the three coaches without any problem  :heart2:

cheers John.

Newportnobby

Cute :heart2:
I especially like the Scotsoft Quilted Toilet Tissue background ;)

scotsoft

Quote from: newportnobby on January 09, 2014, 09:41:15 PM
Cute :heart2:
I especially like the Scotsoft Quilted Toilet Tissue background ;)

No expense spared in the Scotsoft Photogenic Laboratories  :D

davieb

Quote from: scotsoft on January 09, 2014, 09:31:41 PM
I bought this lot recently on eBay and the seller had written he bought them in Germany in 1982.

They have since been run and although the loco needed a few helping pushes to get going, once it had completed a few circuits, it was running very well forwards and in reverse.  They are Minitrix and the little loco pulls the three coaches without any problem   :heart2:

cheers John.

Hi John  :wave:

Yes those small Minitrix locos are good runners with fair haulage power for a small loco
But the haulage can be increased quite a bit by removing the body and replacing it  :hmmm:

With a nice chunky 009 white metal body  >:D  :D

dave  :thumbsup:

cjdodd

I've still got the dublo 3 track that my granddad gave me, that still runs really well, I'll have to dig it out and share some photos. all the cast metal platforms and bridges etc... were great.

macwales

Hi

Old locos rule!! They certainly have staying power.

I bought 15 locos late 70's to early 80's and I had to return non of them, even those bought second hand.

The only problems I have had with them has been worn out motor brushes (with Minitrix) that I cannot replace and poor running due to general wear and tear on my two Peco Jubilees.

I have only one non runner and that is a Minitrix Britannia which has a worn out motor and a damaged con rod (due to a fall to the floor).

Still running well are 2x Minitrix 9f ; Minitrix Mallard, 4 x Minitrix tanks and a 2MT
Farish Jinty, Compound 4 4 0, Black 5 and a Duchess Pacific

These locos are mostly not nearly as detailed as present day ones, especially the Farish  and some are of dubious accuracy in scale and detail to the prototype but they all run and pull well and some are great at low speed.

I do not think I will ever sell any of them. That Britannia, now replaced on the layout by a Dapol (which is superb - so far!) must have been twice round the world in scale terms as I had it running on a loop for hours on end for years.

I do not expect any of my recent purchases to last as well but then they won't have to as because there are more of them and each individual runs far less.

One thing to note is that all the tweaking my recent purchases have needed (some from out of the box) has taught me even more ways to keep the old soldiers going!!

Cheers

Mac

:beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations