The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude Dreyfus

Purchased an new DVD/BlueRay player last weekend. Tried to install it today, but wait...I have the TV, I have the DVD player and I have a power lead for said DVD player, but do I have an means to connect TV to DVD player?

No

I didn't realise that the means to connect one to the other is an optional accessory (and one which has an rrp of £25.00 - nearly 50% of what I paid for the player itself!).

My wife, who is an accountant, did tell me the technical term for producing the item itself for very little, and then charge a fortune for additions and consumables (see printers and the price of an ink cartridge!).

I have a word for this as well...in fact a number of words!

:censored:  :censored: and even  :censored:

daveg

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on March 08, 2015, 02:14:13 PM

I have a word for this as well...in fact a number of words!

:censored:  :censored: and even  :censored:

and there's also  :censored: and quite probably  :censored: as a follow-up!

Dave G

railsquid

Purchased an new DVD/BlueRay player last weekend. Tried to install it today, but wait...I have the TV, I have the DVD player and I have a power lead for said DVD player, but do I have an means to connect TV to DVD player?

No

I didn't realise that the means to connect one to the other is an optional accessory (and one which has an rrp of £25.00 - nearly 50% of what I paid for the player itself!).

Is the missing link an HDMI cable by any chance? If so I trust you didn't actually pay that £25.00?

Lawrence

Quote from: newportnobby on March 07, 2015, 08:21:23 PM
Not a lot you can say about that weekend, Lawrence :(
Probably best not to ask how you got the back spasms on a dirty weekend away, though :) :no:
Gissa call when you're down from the ceiling, mate :laugh3:

Unfortunately the spasms started on the drive up, so the weekend was always going to be missing a little something, didn't think it would turn out so bad though  :(
Anyway we are home now, popped into the Strathspey Steam Railway at Boat of Garten on the way down, they need to rename it to Strathspey Railway though, nothing that uses coal in sight, did take some piccies which I will post, eventually.

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: railsquid on March 08, 2015, 02:34:18 PM
Purchased an new DVD/BlueRay player last weekend. Tried to install it today, but wait...I have the TV, I have the DVD player and I have a power lead for said DVD player, but do I have any means to connect TV to DVD player?

No

Is the missing link an HDMI cable by any chance? If so I trust you didn't actually pay that £25.00?

Yes, the missing link is the HDMI cable, and worry not, I have not actually bought one yet...but when I do Hades will freeze over before I stump up £25.00 for one of those...

railsquid

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on March 08, 2015, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: railsquid on March 08, 2015, 02:34:18 PM
Purchased an new DVD/BlueRay player last weekend. Tried to install it today, but wait...I have the TV, I have the DVD player and I have a power lead for said DVD player, but do I have any means to connect TV to DVD player?

No

Yes, the missing link is the HDMI cable, and worry not, I have not actually bought one yet...but when I do Hades will freeze over before I stump up £25.00 for one of those...
I have no idea what the market for HDMI cables is like in the UK, but I don't imagine you'd need to pay much more than a fiver (unless you want a super-duper gold-plated one with platinum wire and diamond-encrusted plugs).

Look at it on the positive side - once you have the cable, it will probably outlast the DVD player, though there's always the risk that The Industry will decide to come up with some whole new standard. (Anyone need a SCART cable BTW?)

Agrippa

Poundland sell them ( 1 meter) , though I don't know
if they all have a standard fitting.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Malc

They should have a standard fitting, but the very cheap ones are sometimes poor quality. However, at a £1, you have very little to lose (well £1, to be exact)
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Claude Dreyfus

I'll wander down to the local Maplin tomorrow lunchtime...

Agrippa

I think Maplins is same as the Poundland one,
but about 7 x  dearer.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Tdm

Took a friend to purchase a new LG TV & DVD Player/Recorder the other day (he said he was not technically minded and wanted someone to advise him on his purchases and set it up).

Forgot to ask the shopkeeper if it came with an HDMI cable - and when we got it home discovered - No it didn't.

However a guy in the local snooker hall I know who does TV & Internet installations said he had a van full of HDMI cables and gave us one for free.

I'm surprised the latest DVD recorders don't come with an HDMI cable as they no longer come with a Scart outlet connection - only HDMI, svideo, and phono outlets.

Skyline2uk

As it happens I found myself in the opposite situation when I bought my Sony HD recorder.

Seems Sony supply HDMI cables with such things, so I returned the cable I had in the basket to its location in the shop (btw I hate it when I see stuff just shoved around the store in random places).

The only HDMI cable I have bought was a "fancy" one I got in a shop closing down clearance for £7.00 (RRP £30.00).

Most of the reading I have done on the subject suggests that, unless it really is bargain basement, most people struggle to tell the difference between "high end" and "normal" HDMI cables.

Just my experience  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk 

Trainfish

Quote from: Skyline2uk on March 08, 2015, 06:20:36 PM
Most of the reading I have done on the subject suggests that, unless it really is bargain basement, most people struggle to tell the difference between "high end" and "normal" HDMI cables.

Skyline2uk 

Knowing someone who knows his stuff about these and SCART cables etc he 100% agrees with you.

When I bought my last TV I told the salesman I wouldn't buy his £699 item unless he gave me an HDMI cable for nothing. He got the sale. Also threw (not literally) in some screen cleaning stuff.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

JBQFC

Quote from: newportnobby on March 04, 2015, 09:30:28 PM
Quote from: JBQFC on March 04, 2015, 09:11:49 PM
Quote from: JBQFC on February 20, 2015, 08:13:20 PM
oh well feeling good only lasted two weeks
now back to having stomach pains and feeling tired all the time
back to the doctors next week i guess  :censored:

off to see my consultant tomorrow and guess what no symptoms for three days  >:(

now no stomach pain for 10 day good
but i now have a chest infection  :censored:

Not to wish ill health on you, but good luck :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Bummer :(
I've had what I believe to be a chest infection for 3 months now and am due to see a cardiologist next Monday :worried:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations