What's up with RMweb recently?

Started by railsquid, December 23, 2021, 12:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven B

Especially when the adverts pay for free access to the site.

RMWeb has also got a huge amount of contents - NGF is tiny in comparison. Recent slowness has also been down to folk looking at Hornby's latest new product announcements.

Steven B.

Bealman

Quote from: Steven B on January 14, 2022, 08:41:11 AM
Especially when the adverts pay for free access to the site.

RMWeb has also got a huge amount of contents - NGF is tiny in comparison. Recent slowness has also been down to folk looking at Hornby's latest new product announcements.

Steven B.

Is that so bad? We're a closer knit community catering for N gauge.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Steven B

Quote from: Bealman on January 14, 2022, 08:44:42 AM
Is that so bad? We're a closer knit community catering for N gauge.

Neither site is bad; Both have their good and bad points. I wouldn't want to be without either.

There are some very talented N Gauge and 2mmFS modellers that can be found on RMWeb rather than here. There's also a much wider breadth of prototype knowledge to be found on RMWeb.

Steven B.

Chris Morris

NGF wins for having the more helpful and supportive members. NGF also feels more cosy and of course concentrates on our special area of interest.

RMWEB wins at being a fantastic knowledge base on all things railway related.  Both work in their own way.

The adverts are a bit irritating on RMWEB but the way some topics go on and on and on with nothing of interest being added is much more irritating.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

dannyboy

Quote from: Chris Morris on January 14, 2022, 12:52:05 PM
NGF wins for having the more helpful and supportive members. NGF also feels more cosy and of course concentrates on our special area of interest.

I very rarely visit RMWeb and then it is usually as a result of a post on here, but what I have seen gives me the impression that it is just more a source of information than anything else. For 'friendliness', I agree with Chris.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

njee20

I think the risk with "closer knit" is that it can equate to cliquey. I do sometimes think the NGF isn't nearly as 'approachable' as some think. A number of threads are full of in jokes and 'banter' between a small number of members, which can be off putting. He says. I've probably put twice as many people off, mind ;D

Like Steven i wouldn't be without either; RMWeb is inherently OO biased, just because the whole hobby is, but I like how active and diverse it is, and I'd generally seek advice there rather than here. But I like N, so this place is good too! I've got twice as many posts here, so I guess that suggests a natural preference; but I definitely browse RMWeb far more.

lil chris

I agree with a lot of what has been said on here, I prefer this site anyday. I understand the reason for the adverts and pop ups etc which are hard to stop on a I-pad. But it would not be so bad if the adverts were relative to model railways and not some of the junk that is advertised.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

edwin_m

I can tune out the adverts there, but it annoys me that when going into threads you don't land just after the last post you viewed, and when going back to new content you end up in a different place on the page from where you were before you clicked the thread.  That seemed to start at the same time the video adverts started appearing, so I assume it was a consequence. 

njee20

If you click the circle (or star) to the left of the thread title it takes you to the first unread post. no change for me since the advert invasion.

They're taking too long over a 'freemium' model IMO; bring in a £2/month forum membership with no adverts. I'd pay.

jpendle

Quote from: njee20 on January 14, 2022, 05:02:23 PM
If you click the circle (or star) to the left of the thread title it takes you to the first unread post. no change for me since the advert invasion.

It frequently puts me 4 or 5 unread posts further down than it should.

It also doesn't return you to where you were when you entered a post but that may be a function of the number of posts being added/replied to at any given time.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

njee20

Fair enough. Never consciously noticed that. You've also got the "unread posts" page break, which is good.

Paddy

I used to visit RMWeb frequently and agree there are some extremely knowledgeable and talented people on the site. However, it has got to the point where I have almost given up.

The need to generate revenue from advertising is understandable but this needs to be seemless and not interfere with the normal operation of the site. You attract ads by visitor count and if people start to leave then it could turn in to a slow death spiral.

If it was me, then I would remove all the non working ads until the technology has been worked out. At present, they are simply running the risk of damaging their product and brand.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

richmodels

Quote from: Steven B on January 14, 2022, 08:52:03 AM
There's also a much wider breadth of prototype knowledge to be found on RMWeb.

Not an issue for me as I model based on the enjoyment of it

I try not to get hung up on the prototypical details and just let them serve more as 'inspiration'
Frequent railway modeller, and infrequent n gauge modelling blogger

jmupton2000

RMWeb seems to be have yet more server problems this morning.  For the supposed jewel in the crown of Warner's railway publications section, it is being neglected/treated very poorly lately what with this and the ongoing advertising pop ups fiasco.

Moose2013

Hmmm, Moose just visited RMWeb, perused some of the forum posts, and did not experience and issues with ads. Did experience some depression from seeing such skilled modelers' work, but no ad pop-ups, etc. Not sure what others here are experiencing...
:confused1:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations