Uploaded Picture Format Too Large !!

Started by Mr Sprue, February 26, 2021, 08:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

I think I am correct in saying that this issue has been pointed out a few times in the past has it not?

This isn't so much a pop at people still uploading images with high resolution and format, but what you do not realise is that your images seem to take a day a year to load when your thread is opened!

When this happens it just clogs up explorer even the 'back button' doesn't respond! So when this happens I just close the page from explorer then reopen a new page for the forum. Sadly I will never get to read these threads because of this issue. So the question is, if I am doing this there must be others doing the same!

Admittedly my ISP isn't the fastest but the speed I do get has been pretty good for all my browsing needs. I would really love to read your threads and view images of your work, but the large image files you are uploading make things way too slow.

Reducing the size of your image file will make your pictures load much faster, so you need to understand what you are doing before uploading them!

FWIW As quite a few people already know there are free picture hosting sites out there that will handle pretty much anything you upload to them. Fickr being one of them is an absolute gem and easy to use, its also used by many rail enthusiast from all different back grounds for sharing images and you also have the facility to create your own public gallery.

The simplicity of using these sites is that you can distribute the link of your image anywhere on the web.

Anyway I hope my gripe helps resolve this ongoing issue!

Happy Modeling
Dave

NTrain

and then someone comments on the picture and copies the post...........

ntpntpntp

... ah but that'll be a link to the same image, the browser will have cached it.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

@Mr Sprue You have my sympathy as I sit with rolling eyes while some posts are loaded 10mm at a time. If particularly bad, I just abandon trying to see what's being shown. For the most part, I sometimes forget, in my pictures folder I right click on the pic I want which brings up 'Open with.....'
I select 'Paint' and when the pic opens near top left you can see 'resize'. Click on that, then I click 'Pixels' and reduce the top figure by half. Then click 'File' > 'Save'
That usually reduces a 3-3½MB pic to around 1MB. Then upload it to the forum.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 26, 2021, 09:34:17 AM
@Mr Sprue You have my sympathy as I sit with rolling eyes while some posts are loaded 10mm at a time. If particularly bad, I just abandon trying to see what's being shown. For the most part, I sometimes forget, in my pictures folder I right click on the pic I want which brings up 'Open with.....'
I select 'Paint' and when the pic opens near top left you can see 'resize'. Click on that, then I click 'Pixels' and reduce the top figure by half. Then click 'File' > 'Save'
That usually reduces a 3-3½MB pic to around 1MB. Then upload it to the forum.

LOL... Its bit like going back in time using Windows 3.1 and BT dialup waiting for some of these images to load!  :D

njee20

Quote from: NTrain on February 26, 2021, 08:46:59 AM
and then someone comments on the picture and copies the post...........

That should be a banning offence, particularly as it's nearly always just "looks good" or similar!

Flickr is good, but you can't get the BB Code on mobile anymore (on iOS at least), so there's no way to link to photos on mobile.

Mr Sprue

I have to add that RogerdB has got it right with his Wrenton thread, apart from the amazing photography, his images which look like high resolution download in almost an instance.

The amount of views his thread has had say's it all, the perfect example!

Invicta Alec

If, when trying to upload a picture to the gallery, I get the "picture is too large" message then I resize it in a freebie program I found a year or two back called "PIXresizer". It works well.

The thought occurs to me that maybe everyone is a bit too polite on the forum and doesn't mention hopelessly long load up times to the original posters.

If my photos on my Saxon Street thread take too long to load - PLEASE feel free to tell me off!  :worried:

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Invicta Alec on February 26, 2021, 06:50:43 PM
If, when trying to upload a picture to the gallery, I get the "picture is too large" message then I resize it in a freebie program I found a year or two back called "PIXresizer". It works well.

The thought occurs to me that maybe everyone is a bit too polite on the forum and doesn't mention hopelessly long load up times to the original posters.

If my photos on my Saxon Street thread take too long to load - PLEASE feel free to tell me off!  :worried:

Alec.

No offence directed at anyone, but simply making people aware that if their images join the "10mm club", their threads do not get read as they take to long to load!

Invicta Alec

Quote from: Mr Sprue on February 26, 2021, 08:20:30 PM

No offence directed at anyone, but simply making people aware that if their images join the "10mm club", their threads do not get read as they take to long to load!

Nobody is getting offended. 

I am simply saying if mine take too long to load, let me know please.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations