!!

Have You Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
'Tank' and The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Happy thread  (Read 462214 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Happy thread
« Reply #5460 on: December 09, 2021, 12:55:08 PM »
The power of complaining.

Last week, I received the house insurance renewal quote.  A bit of research on t'internet and one telephone call later, I was offered a lower quote which is slightly less than what I had been paying for the last year.  :).  Then, come Monday, I received the latest electricity bill. It was an estimated bill, over estimated by about 80 units, so the company decided that they would increase my monthly payment by nearly 20! Oh no you don't thinks I. So a bit more research and I am on the telephone again. I was promised a call back, but because of the storm, the line kept breaking up but a very nice young lady rang me a short while ago. The upshot of the call is that they will put my monthly payment back to what it was and, as of now, instead of getting a 15% discount, I will be getting a 25% discount.  :). The new price means I will be only paying 0.02cent per unit more than the cheapest I could find on the net - and then I had to sign up to a two year contract!  :no:. So, all in all, quite a productive few days. Roll on the car renewal quote, which is due in the next week or two.  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #5461 on: December 09, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
If I send you my details, will you do my energy bills? I had an estimated reading in May. They obviously thought I was smelting aluminium in the back garden.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

guest311

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5462 on: December 15, 2021, 05:47:22 PM »
I think this should be in the happy thread, but then I could be wrong.

just been checking my bank account, and see that I have received my state Xmas Bonus

a whole, whopping 10 just the same as when my father-in-law first got it in the late 1970s  :hmmm:

nice to know that nothing has changed since then.....

wages
costs of heating and fuel
MPs expenses

so in 1970s  10 would get him something

in 2021 10 will get you  :censored:  all.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone actually thought about this sort of thing ?

winter fuel allowance, been 200 since first paid, no adjustment depending on the annual prices.

this insulting 'Xmas Bonus'.

and on top of everything, each year the pensions rise for the next year is calculated on the same month ...
which turns out to be the month with the lowest figures for inflation  :hmmm:
until last year when we pensioners would at long last have had a decent rise... :thumbsup:

but the goal posts were moved so we basically got  :censored: all again. :thumbsdown:

I will stop now, before I over step the mark, but will fill my thermos, and pack some Jaffa cakes, just in case I once again get sentanced for political comment.

now, what shall I spend my ill gotten bonus of 10 on ?  :hmmm:

might manage a bunch of flowers for SWMBO, if I don't go mad  :'(

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #5463 on: December 15, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
Last night Mrs Papyrus and I ticked something off our bucket list - we finally got to see Riverdance! We saw the 25th anniversary show at the Brighton Centre and it was well worth waiting all those years. Blanche reckons it was the best show she has ever seen; she's been complaining today about sore hands from all the clapping! The music and the dancing were absolutely stunning and the staging and backdrop were very imaginative. Our only slight disappointment was that our seats weren't all that great. Not having been to a show at the Brighton Centre before I didn't know how the seating was arranged and we found ourselves right off to one side. If there's another tour we will go again, and get better seats next time even if we have to pay through the nose for them.

If you get the chance, go and see it. Even if you don't think it is your sort of thing, give it a try anyway - you may surprise yourself.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline TrevL

• N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
« Reply #5464 on: December 15, 2021, 06:21:46 PM »
Yes very good, it always amazes me how they could find so many potential high jump champions with un-natural ankle joints. ;)
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #5465 on: December 15, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »
I think this should be in the happy thread, but then I could be wrong.

just been checking my bank account, and see that I have received my state Xmas Bonus

a whole, whopping 10 just the same as when my father-in-law first got it in the late 1970s  :hmmm:

nice to know that nothing has changed since then.....

wages
costs of heating and fuel
MPs expenses

so in 1970s  10 would get him something

in 2021 10 will get you  :censored:  all.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone actually thought about this sort of thing ?

winter fuel allowance, been 200 since first paid, no adjustment depending on the annual prices.

this insulting 'Xmas Bonus'.

and on top of everything, each year the pensions rise for the next year is calculated on the same month ...
which turns out to be the month with the lowest figures for inflation  :hmmm:
until last year when we pensioners would at long last have had a decent rise... :thumbsup:

but the goal posts were moved so we basically got  :censored: all again. :thumbsdown:

I will stop now, before I over step the mark, but will fill my thermos, and pack some Jaffa cakes, just in case I once again get sentanced for political comment.

now, what shall I spend my ill gotten bonus of 10 on ?  :hmmm:

might manage a bunch of flowers for SWMBO, if I don't go mad  :'(

The cost of transfering 10 to your account was probably at least 11 ?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:39:16 PM by Newportnobby, Reason: Political personal comments removed from quote »

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #5466 on: December 15, 2021, 08:47:12 PM »
Yes very good, it always amazes me how they could find so many potential high jump champions with un-natural ankle joints. ;)

One of the benefits of drinking Guiness ?

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5467 on: December 15, 2021, 08:53:20 PM »
I have to say that the Irish do tend to look after the pensioners. I received my UK Xmas bonus (10), last week and had 11.71c paid into my bank account. I also had the Irish Xmas bonus paid into the account - 248.30c!  :)
David.

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #5468 on: December 15, 2021, 08:55:55 PM »
Do they still get free Guiness in the old folks' homes ?

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5469 on: December 15, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
Do they still get free Guiness in the old folks' homes ?

Not in this old folks home.  :no:.  (Do not tell Louisa I referred to our house as an 'old folks home'!)  ;D
David.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #5470 on: December 16, 2021, 12:44:40 AM »
In the summer of the year the currently fashionable virus is named after, the local authority sent me coupons to be redeemed at any reputable local hospital for a rubella vaccination as coverage is apparently lacking in my age group, anyway finally got round to redeeming mine and it turns out whatever childhood shot(s) I had many decades ago are still strutting their stuff and no vaccine need  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Up we go, oh yeah!
    • Awards
« Reply #5471 on: December 16, 2021, 01:26:58 AM »
How do they work that out?  :confused2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #5472 on: December 16, 2021, 01:44:24 AM »
Well now I'm double-jabbed I thought it would just be a question of connecting to the hospital's 5G wireless network, but apparently they still need to do it the old-fashioned way by sticking a sharp pointy thing into a limb, extracting some red stuff and sending it off to a coven of witches for analysis.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Up we go, oh yeah!
    • Awards
« Reply #5473 on: December 16, 2021, 01:52:33 AM »
Oh, ok. A blood test.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #5474 on: December 16, 2021, 02:12:39 AM »
Ah yes, that's the phrase I was looking for. Diagnosis was "firm with a fruity bouquet", oh sorry that was a wine tasting. Score was 43 out of a maximum of 99999.0 according to the paper I gave me, anything under 6 would cost the government money.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
33% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal