My experience with Union Mills locos

Started by Doc Pye, August 04, 2019, 11:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Pye

Well last month I bought two new Union Mills locos, one a GWR Dean Goods and the other a GWR Dukedog. These were my first Union Mills locos, and Colin's customer service was outstanding, as he got them out to me within a few days of paying for them.

So I was away for a while - you know, that family holiday thing we often do - but now I am back at home and have set-up my KATO M1 test track and have been working (okay, playing) with my trains. I must say that the Union Mills locos are heavy, especially compared to Dapol and GF offerings. That said, they can really pull trains. Not only that, the locos work well at low speeds, some much better than more detailed Dapol offerings I have! Don't get me wrong, I really like the detail that Dapol gives you, but the ability to run at low speeds and pull some weight is also important.

Now my thinking before was to upgrade my Union Mills locos with a repaint and some detail work, notably on the side rails. I also need to shorten that long wire between loco and tender (not sure why this was left so long?). However, I will get to that project but right now I am just enjoying seeing these locos pull coaches around!

So in summary, as a first time buyer/user of Union Mills locos, I heartily recommend them to one and all. Colin's locos are really well designed and of a good quality. So a big thank you to Colin for making such good products! :thankyousign:

Bealman

Yes indeed - his reputation is well-earned. The number of happy forum members who own Union Mills locos is testament to that!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

I agree completely with this.  I hope these locomotives continue to give you pleasure and, maybe, you get a few more...

My little layout is now 90% Union Mills motive power.  The models with the post-2015 motor run particularly well.  Home servicing is straightforward, even for someone like me used to much bigger bits of metal.

Another aspect of Mr Heard's service, and one which I hope you never need, is how he deals with repairs.  I have only had one locomotive that's needed to go back to the Isle of Man and his service was amazing.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Doc Pye

Given that Colin is clearly designed a reliable chassis, can it be used to replace any Dapol / GF loco engines? I mean, do any of Colin's chassis make a good fit so you can switch with others (Panniers, Hall, etc)??? Also, does Colin sell his engines without body??? Just wondering.

Dorsetmike

In a word NO, the body and chassis is one complete casting with a detachable keeper plate. The tender has a separate body and chassis, but if you fit an alternative body or brass or plastic you lose a lot of the adhesion weight and hence pill less coaches/wagons

I have used a white metal body on a tender which does provide enough adhesion, but not quite as much as the UM body
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

martyn

I've used a complete LNER J39 tender drive to power a Foxhunter K3; and if I ever finish it, I'll be using one to power a Thompson B2.

He will supply tenders only on request, if one is available.

Martyn

Old Crow

I've got four of them - love them and, for me, the performance and weight is preferable to extensive detail. As has been said, the slow speed and traction are first class as is Colin's service.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations