help wanted re resizing for printing

Started by B1 61126, March 24, 2014, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B1 61126

Hello all I have been trying without much success to resize the wordsworth freebie buildings that come sized for 00 I am trying to change them to ngauge without any luck so far can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or maybe just explain how to do it .
But do please bear in mind that I am a numpty when it comes to computers so don't be afraid to make the explanation so that a 3 year old could understand it I may still struggle then
yours hopefully
Geoff :help: :-[

Caz

If you can scale the print out to 71% size in your printer, that's what I have done and it works fine.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

cjdodd

Load up the PDF file, and then in adobe reader go to file > Print

When the print dialogue box pops up you will see a custom scale setting, set this for 48% and hit print.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: cjdodd on March 24, 2014, 10:03:54 PM
Load up the PDF file, and then in adobe reader go to file > Print

When the print dialogue box pops up you will see a custom scale setting, set this for 48% and hit print.

N is 1:148 OO is 1:76 so you want a bit over 50% (51.351351..... to be exact)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Caz

AFAIK know scaling the image directly in an image program is about 50% but when you are dealing with reducing the size of a pdf the to reduce either A3 down to A4 or A4 down to A5 then the ratio is 71%
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

woodbury22uk

Quote from: whiteswan on March 25, 2014, 05:45:09 AM
AFAIK know scaling the image directly in an image program is about 50% but when you are dealing with reducing the size of a pdf the to reduce either A3 down to A4 or A4 down to A5 then the ratio is 71%

Ah Caz, but to get it from 00 to N you would have to go from A3 to A5 so it is 71% x 71% which is just under 50%.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Caz

My brain hurts.   :doh:

I've used the 71% to print a Wordworth 00 pdf and the sizes are spot on, doors 6ft or just over, if you use 50% then the buildings become too small.  Just saying but could be wrong (often am!)
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

trainsdownunder

I'm with Ecthed on this one.

HO to N I drop by 54% and find that is about right but it can vary slightly

EtchedPixels

For any two scales

Scale1 / Scale2 * 100

OO is 1:76
N is 1:148

So 76 / 148 * 100 = 51.35%

So you want 51.35% of the original
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

georgehgv

Just printed Wordsworth OO kit reduced to 52% on A4 card and scale seems OK.

Have a look at some of Mike's new and revised kits they are very good, I have had great success with the semi detached houses and there is a new school with playground that looks impressive. The low relief Retail Park is a better take than just industrial units.

Try them here http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/index.html
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Malc

Whilst I agree with Alan's observations, it will depend on the printer to a large extent. Headers, footers and margins make the printable area smaller. If it is smaller than the one Wordsworth use, you will have to adjust accordingly.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Malc on August 04, 2014, 09:07:57 AM
Whilst I agree with Alan's observations, it will depend on the printer to a large extent. Headers, footers and margins make the printable area smaller. If it is smaller than the one Wordsworth use, you will have to adjust accordingly.

They don't however change the scale. If your software mishandles the margins throw it away, it's not worth having.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations