RIP Ginger Baker

Started by port perran, October 06, 2019, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Ginger Baker, legendary drummer, notably with Cream, passed away today.
Sadly missed.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

cycletrak9

I saw him in the early 60's with Ginger Baker's African Drums - before Cream but still pretty impressive. This was at the Richmond Jazz Festival.

Bealman

Sorry to hear that. I still have every Cream vinyl album.

Still, he had a pretty good innings.

I guess that just leaves Clapton.  :(
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

A great shame :(
Still, he and Keith Moon can have a drum battle once more

Malc

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 06, 2019, 10:37:10 PM
You can chuck John Bonham into the mix as well.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Thorpe Parva

I also have every Cream album on vinyl. I was also fortunate enough to see them live in the late 60s. For me, Crossroads is the greatest album track of all time.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Thorpe Parva on October 07, 2019, 04:26:29 PM
For me, Crossroads is the greatest album track of all time.

It's one of my favourites too. Jack Bruce's bass playing is just superb.

Bealman

Yep, thirded. In fact I think I'll dig it out and have a listen.

Trainfish

Quote from: Malc on October 07, 2019, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on October 06, 2019, 10:37:10 PM
You can chuck John Bonham into the mix as well.

Agree 100%

I know he's not dead yet but after seeing Carl Palmer (of ELP fame for those who don't know) at Giants of Rock this year I have to say he would also be in this club. One day but not too soon hopefully.

RIP Ginge
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Chetcombe

Quote from: Bealman on October 07, 2019, 10:11:22 PM
Yep, thirded. In fact I think I'll dig it out and have a listen.

Fourthed! Sad news about Ginger Baker, Cream were before my time but I learned to appreciate and then love them over the years. I would imagine there now will be a spike in vinyl sales of all the Cream albums.

It is great to see a resurgence in vinyl. Pleased to see you still have something to play your vinyl on George!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Thanks! Without hijacking the thread, my local electronics chain had a 5-in-1 unit available a few years back that had direct recording onto USB.

I bought it, with the idea I could listen to the old vinyls and cassettes once, while recording them onto USB.

It has surprisingly good sound for a $250 unit, but playback from a USB stick leaves a lot to be desired.

There's a lot to be said for those component high quality systems of the eighties.  :thumbsup:

Anyway, I think I might just put on Baker's drum solo from the live vinyl of the Wheels of Fire double album!!  :beers:

Chetcombe

Quote from: Bealman on October 08, 2019, 03:06:32 AM
Thanks! Without hijacking the thread, my local electronics chain had a 5-in-1 unit available a few years back that had direct recording onto USB.

I bought it, with the idea I could listen to the old vinyls and cassettes once, while recording them onto USB.

It has surprisingly good sound for a $250 unit, but playback from a USB stick leaves a lot to be desired.

There's a lot to be said for those component high quality systems of the eighties.  :thumbsup:

Anyway, I think I might just put on Baker's drum solo from the live vinyl of the Wheels of Fire double album!!  :beers:

:beers: Indeed! RIP Ginger

I still have all my old LPs along with my Linn LP12 turntable from circa 1987. I always said to SWMBO that everything comes back into style if you wait long enough!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

So true. I have a really superb Sony system in the eighties.

Wish I'd never got rid of it!!!

Newportnobby

Mine's a Pioneer stack system with deck, 6 CD multichanger, graphic equaliser, radio and twin cassettes. Had it since 1988 and it's still going strong, although I've never experienced just how powerful it is as I dare not! Recently fitted surround sound speakers and plumbed my TV into it.
Ace :)

Bealman

Mate, you are way ahead.  :thumbsup:

Local electronics mag here regularly pulls them apart and is full of praise for these  70s-80s units. Expensive even back then, but sound quality rarely equaled today.

Your system sounds awesome, and makes me more and more sorry I ever parted with my setup.  :(

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations