!!

Not Yet Registered?

Welcome to the N Gauge Forum!  We've currently hidden most of the threads due to the vast number of guests contributing in slowing the speed of the forum down.  Please register and login to see the many thousands of posts about our great hobby.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pop up from a link off the forum  (Read 529 times)

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Pop up from a link off the forum
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »
My 16" laptop has given up the chase so I have started to use my new 17" Dell laptop and I usually have the Ad blocker on but turn it off when going on a local news page not be doing that again, I was on this forum and pressed a link and a popup came on and could I get shut of it could I hell until I pressed ctrl alt del, it was one of them adverts stating I had a virus and to ring this number well no thank you and get the hell of my computer, adblocker turned back on and anti virus doing a scan just to make sure its fine.

Just thought I would let the mods know maybe this is why the site is having problems because of the crap coming through.

good health folks.
Geoff

Offline Only Me

• Western Destroyer
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Loco Repairs - Direct message me
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Pop up from a link off the forum
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 02:37:19 PM »
Geoff, thanks for bringing it up, but this site's issues have been rectified now.

It was nothing to do with any external advert or links it was a database and media issue. 

If popups are appearing on a laptop owned by yourself the likelihood is that that laptop has some kind of malware installed, which you are unaware of or that you've been to a site recently that has left a cookie on your internet browser. 

I am afraid Ad Blocker wont always keep malicious code from installing on your own machine

Corrective action suggested is :-
Delete all your cookies and browser history
Install a program such as Malware Bytes (free) and run it in deep scan mode

Regards Paul

PS this site should not have any adverts on it that link to external links such as the one you mention, that would appear to be Malware. Unless the external site has been compromised

Please pm me the link you clicked so I can 100% rule out this being a system issue (I'm 99.99% sure its not us!) - Of course any link you click, be it someone's signature (such as mine) or elsewhere, would take you to an external site outside our control.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 02:44:14 PM by Only Me »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £80.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
133% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal