Inspiration for layout name.

Started by Tom@Crewe, August 26, 2012, 10:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom@Crewe

Hi, Where did you get the inspiration for your layout name?

Family name? Local name? Funny Name?

MJdJ

Hello Tom,

My layout is called Neunburg. Not much to explain if you know that the theme is an imaginary city in Germany with many halftimbered houses, and 9 in German is neun.
An actual Neunburg does exist in Germany, but any resemblance to the layout is pure coincidence.

Greetings
Mark-Jan

edwin_m

Some place names, particularly endings, point very specifically to a particular part in the UK.  There are websites that give details.  So if a layout is set in a particular area (but isn't a model of an actual place) it would be good to look at actual place names nearby and make one up that looks typical but isn't an actual place. 

Caz

For my layout I used my experience researching our family tree.  In the 1500's my family lived in a place called Bampton (Oxfordshire) and made there way up via Southwark to Hackney in London.  I switched the start and end of the two and added the name of the farm they used to run in Oxfordshire which was called Claywell. 

The full name of the layout is Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney, this is made up by the terminus called Claywell, the junction station named High Hackton (it is at a higher level and is a mixture of Hackney & Bampton), the branch line station is called Bampney (again a mixture of Bampton & Hackney) which is actually modelled (loosely) on Bampton & Brize Norton Station on the the old Oxford to Fairford Branch.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Pengi

My layout is called St Clements (as were the OO layouts that preceded it)

When I was young my Mum used to sing the nursery rhyme to me. Certain elements of the layout have names that relate to places in the nursery rhyme.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Sprintex

fisherman

awww  Pengy's   got  a   puffin!!
<o({{{<<

Tom@Crewe

edwin_m

Sounds fine if you want to be in the Crewe-Stafford area!  Which by your name you probably do...

D1042 Western Princess

As I've said elsewhere, it was an August Bank Holiday, it was a well known seaside resort in the West of England when inspiration for the new layout struck and what else could it be called but it was "Peltin Down"! :)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations