Naming your layout

Started by RichardBattersby, October 03, 2011, 09:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardBattersby

I'm really struggling to come up with a name for my layout. I want to call it Battersby, because that's my surname and because there's actually a village where my name came from near the NYMR (hoepfully I'll retire there one day so I can be Mr Battersby of Battersby  ;)) with a station called Battersby and Battersby Junction but my layout in no way resembles it. So needs to be something original really. How did you all come up with the names of your layouts?
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

BRCW26010

Hi Richard  :wave::) If I were you I'd call the layout ooh I don't know... Battersby? Yeah that would work :thumbsup: Happy modelling. It doesn't matter whether art reflects life this really is your world :thumbsup: Enjoy ;)
'The man who never made a mistake never made anything.' My life! I must be the most productive person on the planet!!

Lawrence

It's your layout, call it what you want Richard (although Dicks End did spring to mind  ::))

My last layout was called Evolution, it was also my first proper layout and did keep evolving as did my knowledge of modelling

EtchedPixels

How about (depending upon) the location and goods facilities

St Briar (although what you really need is the "St Briar Bath Cyder" brewery facility if I got the anagram right anyway

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

binksforbikes

my address is Priory house so i named my layout Priory Park as simple as that .

elmo

My surname is Johns so I elevated myself with my ironing board layout as I called it St Johns Road. My larger layout that has never really been completed is called 'Longlast'!!!

Elmo

Sithlord75

I called my modified track plan of St Alban's Abbey "St Alban's Priory" and my change to Collier Street (which was the name given to a test build of one of the plans in the newest version of the Set Track Plan book from Peco) resulted in it being called "Swallow Street" - cause that is the name of the bird our street was named after (all but the main road in Longreach are named after birds - the main road has the less than inspiring name of National A2 - Landsborough Highway)
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

poliss

Mine is named after the railroad in the tv series Iron Horse, the Buffalo Pass, Scalplock and Defiance.

How about calling yours Chipping Battersby?

RichardBattersby

It's Interesting to hear how you've all come up with the names of your layouts. At the moment I think it should be called "Not-Looking-Good-by-Sea".

I like Chipping Battersby!! :D
Richard

HellsGuardian316

I think Battersby would be a great name regardless of if its modelled to look like the real place or not. Failing that just write out a list of words that spring to mind and take some time to ponder them.

For example for my own railway I'll be starting soon I am basing it on the SVR but I don't really want to be forced to call my two stations Kidderminster and Bewdley on the grounds that my railway is only "based" on the railway and not trying to directly model it. So i wrote a few names and picked the ones I liked the most. so far I'm musing these two which I'm listing to give idea's for you of places you can look for your names.

Warrender, which is the name my family originally had in 1604 when they came over from France. So family history could turn up some nice names
Highwind, name of a ship off a computer game an i just like how the word rolls off the tongue. So games, places you've visited could all be used and would hold sentimental value

Though personally, Battersby is far more personal a name because its your surname so I'd go with that and forget the fact its a real place.  ;D

Mustermark

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

guest311

Inverknockie - because it is [loosely] based on Inverness, and the knockie from Portknockie, a beautiful fishing village where we had a house for a couple of years.

cheers
alan

RichardBattersby

Thanks HellsGuardian, that's sort of what I wanted to hear. Maybe I'll stick with that then. :)

I like Inverknockie :)
Richard

porkie

I spent weeks trying to think of a name  ???.
In the end i opted for the street I live in 8)
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

longbridge

I change my layout and its name like the weather, fed up of doing that so I now have a layout with no name but I guess I will think of something one day.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £80.00
Site Currency: GBP
20% 
June Donations