4-6-0 thread

Started by Le Night ferry, September 09, 2023, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leachsprite4

The best thing to do is get scale drawings of both on line. There are subtle differences in the engine which could be acceptable, the challenge will be if you want the welded Hawksworth tender as the whole tender would need replacing and that is more complicated with the motor being housed in it.

PLD

Quote from: Le Night ferry on September 10, 2023, 09:08:01 AM
Quote from: Bealman on September 10, 2023, 08:43:03 AMI've got a Dapol B1. It runs well, but there are some detail compromises compared to the Farish model.
Farish detail is better, but for riding performance , Dapol is better than Bachfar?
the majority opinion is that the Farish version wins on appearance for finesse of the small details.
Mechanically the farish is tender driven and some have found the loco lrone to locking up and skidding along pushed by the tender. The Dapol version is driven by the loco wheels from a motor mounted in the tender and a drive shaft. The farish version relies on spring contacts to carry power from the loco pickups to the tender, dapol is hard-wired which is in theory more reliable but the wires are prone to breaking with rough handling. Result is a near 50:50 split in opinion of which is the better overall...

Le Night ferry

Recently found company named Foxhunter made white metal kits for GWR Kings.
Do you have information about it?
Foxhunter site is gone...

icairns

Foxhunter kits are long out of production but they did make a kit for a King 4-6-0 as shown below.  The only way to obtain one now would be on the second-hand market. 

Here is a link to an old thread with some information about Foxhunter from circa 2009:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=45761.msg581661#msg581661

Ian

Le Night ferry

Quote from: icairns on September 12, 2023, 05:01:27 AMFoxhunter kits are long out of production but they did make a kit for a King 4-6-0 as shown below.  The only way to obtain one now would be on the second-hand market. 

Here is a link to an old thread with some information about Foxhunter from circa 2009:

Ian

GF Castle will be old Poole version of it, right?

martyn

Quote from: Le Night ferry on September 12, 2023, 05:18:25 AM
Quote from: icairns on September 12, 2023, 05:01:27 AMFoxhunter kits are long out of production but they did make a kit for a King 4-6-0 as shown below.  The only way to obtain one now would be on the second-hand market. 

Ian

Yes, the Poole version, as were all the chassis used for different Foxhunter models. I don't know if the Chinese version of the Poole models will fit, they may do.

In general, Foxhunter kits were amongst the best for the time, but occasionally there were compromises to fit the chassis available. Body/boiler in white metal, fittings in cast brass.  Some tender sides/top were etched brass, can't remember now.

Martyn

Le Night ferry

Quote from: martyn on September 12, 2023, 08:10:32 AM
Quote from: Le Night ferry on September 12, 2023, 05:18:25 AM

Ian

Yes, the Poole version, as were all the chassis used for different Foxhunter models. I don't know if the Chinese version of the Poole models will fit, they may do.

In general, Foxhunter kits were amongst the best for the time, but occasionally there were compromises to fit the chassis available. Body/boiler in white metal, fittings in cast brass.  Some tender sides/top were etched brass, can't remember now.

Martyn
Sad that they closed business

martyn

Yes, in some ways a pity, but it was another 'one man band' making the kits in spare time as his own hobby.

I've built J39, Austerity 2-8-0, and K3 from this range; as well as 12T vans and LNER Fish vans. Whilst some of the kits have now been replaced by models from RTR firms such as Farish, the Foxhunter kit was, I think, the only way, at least at that time (25+years ago) to get a 3500 gallon tender version of the J39.

Martyn

Bealman

Yes, it was a different world in the early days of British N gauge.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Bealman on September 12, 2023, 09:10:38 AMYes, it was a different world in the early days of British N gauge.
Hard to imagine if there were no Farish in n gauge

Roy L S

Quote from: martyn on September 12, 2023, 08:59:51 AMYes, in some ways a pity, but it was another 'one man band' making the kits in spare time as his own hobby.

I've built J39, Austerity 2-8-0, and K3 from this range; as well as 12T vans and LNER Fish vans. Whilst some of the kits have now been replaced by models from RTR firms such as Farish, the Foxhunter kit was, I think, the only way, at least at that time (25+years ago) to get a 3500 gallon tender version of the J39.

Martyn

You were lucky to have a K3, as I understand it the kit was never formally released, every time I asked he was still to complete the instructions.

I do have an A1 built and painted for me by Fred Hempsall years before the Farish one was announced, it is a lovely loco, now kept only for posterity.

I also had the ROD 2-8-0 kit (LNER 04) but that never got started and I ended up giving away what remained in the box many years ago. I have always felt that the loco would make a good RTR project due to the long life, widespread use (including Europe and Australia) and different variants (Swindon built, side-window cabs, Belpaire or round-topped firebox just off the top of my head) lots of liveries, one preserved.

Roy

martyn

OFF TOPIC! OFF TOPIC!

Quote from: Roy L S on September 12, 2023, 10:04:22 AM
Quote from: martyn on September 12, 2023, 08:59:51 AMYes, in some ways a pity, but it was another 'one man band' making the kits in spare time as his own hobby.

Martyn

You were lucky to have a K3, as I understand it the kit was never formally released, every time I asked he was still to complete the instructions.

I do have an A1 built and painted for me by Fred Hempsall years before the Farish one was announced, it is a lovely loco, now kept only for posterity.

I also had the ROD 2-8-0 kit (LNER 04) but that never got started and I ended up giving away what remained in the box many years ago. I have always felt that the loco would make a good RTR project due to the long life, widespread use (including Europe and Australia) and different variants (Swindon built, side-window cabs, Belpaire or round-topped firebox just off the top of my head) lots of liveries, one preserved.

Roy

Yes, I was lucky with the K3. I had met the owner previously at a few shows when exhibiting 'Lynford Junction', and had built the J39/1. I kept pestering about the K3, and the answer was the same as yours; 'I haven't written the instructions'. then at a show where I was a visitor, I met him again, and finally he said 'you have built more than enough kits, if I sell you one it will be without the instructions, but I think you will figure it out'. So he did, and I built it........the kit came with replacement cylinders, as it fitted the Poole 'Crab' chassis; luckily, they went in place first time, to my surprise! However, after traction issues (it was OK, but wouldn't haul as much as I wanted to), I took the Poole motor out of the chassis, and swapped tenders for a Union Mills LNER one. And now it will pull whatever I want. The loco body does sit overheight, though, due to the clearances need to fit the Crab motor. It seems to have been slightly stretched dimension wise vertically.

I built the Austerity later, fitting it with an LNER 8-w Farish tender chassis for improved pick-up; also a number of BR 12T vans (since made by Farish), and a decent set of LNER Fish vans, both sliding and cupboard door versions. The latter can be seen at times on James Street.

I think the cast brass fittings for the K3 were by N-Brass; at least Nick sold/sells a very similar set.

Martyn

The Q

The obvious missing 4-6-0 is the first UK one, the Highland Railways, Jones Goods.

The Jones Goods is one I'll eventually make it no one brings one out..

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations