A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

Quote from: njee20 on May 13, 2021, 07:23:33 PM
Quote from: stuartgoble on May 13, 2021, 07:10:22 PM
What's more concerning is going to be the cost of adding DCC and lighting to the model.  Having spent £178 for the set, facing another £160 for the lights and decoders is going to be hard to swallow.  I'm hoping someone with a non-Kato solution for this going forward.

I'll eat my hat if there is. This isn't a new set of decoders, it's a standard Kato item, because they insist on doing things differently, and have the market presence to get away with it.

So how much would a Farish Pullman cost with lights and DCC, or even a full length Dapol HST? £178 is a comparative bargain. The higher cost of DCC and lighting could be because of volumes. They will sell thousands of these sets in Japan and from what I have been told the vast majority will be plain analogue.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

njee20

A 2+5 HST would be ~£300, with lights and DCC. So a chunk cheaper. Admittedly you don't have DCC control of those lights.

The constant comparisons of price, whilst understandable, seem misguided; "how can Farish get away with charging x when this is y?!", the answer, as you say, is volume, pure and simple, as Kato are probably make 20 times as many 800s as Farish have ever made of anything! However, it's interesting that it doesn't stack up anywhere near as well once you start adding those accessories into the mix. I'm not a fan of Kato's insistence on proprietary decoders, it's symptomatic of a manufacturer using their dominance of a market in a way which doesn't benefit the consumer. I know DCC isn't anywhere near as common in Japan, which is no doubt a factor in 1) their continuing avoidance of mainstream decoders and 2) the price of the parts to convert.

Vonzack

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 13, 2021, 08:38:13 PM
I wonder if they'll honour the pre order price of £169.50 :hmmm:

In the same position with the LNER version, but this is some text straight from Rails 'Terms of Sale' (link at the footer of their web pages on the right).

In the event of a price increase before the item is released the price will be updated on the product and you will be contacted to confirm if you wish to accept the new price or cancel the pre order. By accepting the new price, the order is reconfirmed and the new higher price will be updated on your pre order. If you choose not to accept the new price the order is cancelled.

For the decoder prices, I thought £42 compared pretty well for what are essentially two function decoders and a motor decoder.

Cheers, Mark.

Alan Kyte

Well, I've bitten the bullet and order a 5 car IET set this afternoon.  But I'm still somewhat concerned about the radius statements in this thread and others.  Whilst the majority of my layout is third and fourth radius, there is one curve that's second to fit within the board.  So let's see how it goes.

What's more concerning is going to be the cost of adding DCC and lighting to the model.  Having spent £178 for the set, facing another £160 for the lights and decoders is going to be hard to swallow.  I'm hoping someone with a non-Kato solution for this going forward.

I had to buy the Zimo versions to have compatible Railcom, probably about a 1/3 more, which was partly behind my decision for now to not have decoders for the carriage lighting...  Same issue as you with the radius, so will be "interesting" to see.
Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

njee20

Quote from: Vonzack on May 13, 2021, 09:02:49 PM
For the decoder prices, I thought £42 compared pretty well for what are essentially two function decoders and a motor decoder.

Cheers, Mark.

Yes, agreed, it's the interior lighting which pushes the cost up, as you need another 5 decoders, ie a total of 8 for the whole train, which is pretty impressive!

Be easier if it just used 6-pin (or Next 18) of course :)

Trainfish

Rails of Sheffield have confirmed they have the GWR ones in stock so, all things going well, I should have it in my hands maybe early next week. Luckily my Unitrack test oval is 282mm radius.

That's what they have charged me, £169.50 + £4 postage and it has been posted today  :claphappy:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

jpendle

Quote from: Alan Kyte on May 13, 2021, 09:31:32 PM
Well, I've bitten the bullet and order a 5 car IET set this afternoon.  But I'm still somewhat concerned about the radius statements in this thread and others.  Whilst the majority of my layout is third and fourth radius, there is one curve that's second to fit within the board.  So let's see how it goes.

I had to buy the Zimo versions to have compatible Railcom, probably about a 1/3 more, which was partly behind my decision for now to not have decoders for the carriage lighting...  Same issue as you with the radius, so will be "interesting" to see.

Where did you buy these from, and how much were they?

Thanks,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Alan Kyte

Quote from: jpendle on May 13, 2021, 10:43:03 PM
Quote from: Alan Kyte on May 13, 2021, 09:31:32 PM

Where did you buy these from, and how much were they?

Thanks,

John P

https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/zimo/decoders/n-kato/

Returnee to Model Railways after 38 years, last time I was 10 and OO Gauge, now 48 and N gauge.

railsquid

Not the bestest of piccies, but I can personally verify the GWR version exists and is on sale:

Does look like a very nice model (though I've never seen the prototype so can't compare).

Only 4 cars on display as the case wasn't quite wide enough.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MKP

Ben A

Hi all,

Just in.  Very nice.  The GWR livery doesn't photograph especially well but looks good to me in reality.   I haven't had time to test run it yet.

But even on first glance this is clearly a significant model, of high quality, of a prototype that is pretty much essential for the modern scene and bodes well for British N in general.

cheers

Ben A.

Snowwolflair

davidinyork

Can they be fitted with a standard coupler to 'drag' them with a loco?

woodbury22uk

Quote from: davidinyork on May 14, 2021, 11:59:28 AM
Can they be fitted with a standard coupler to 'drag' them with a loco?

The Kato instructions can be viewed here.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/schedule/pdf/20210419152438607d22265a324/class800.pdf

You will need to modify the coupler on the dragging loco or the Class 800 just like the real ones need adapters. Kato show the shape of the drawbars used to join two units.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations