A point of English??

Started by Newportnobby, April 13, 2015, 02:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon898

Maybe this is in the realm of "urban legend", but wasn't there an issue when ungated level crossings were being introduced that the signs read "Wait at Line While Lights Flash"?  Apparently, that was interpreted in some region(s) as meaning "wait at the line until the lights flash", resulting in a few fatalities.  When I heard this related, it was ascribed to the rural northwest, so any Cumbrian natives could comment?

Here in the US South, I have a whole lot of local phrases and meanings to decifer.  The obvious one is "y'all" (used to think that was a two-masted boat) and it's plural cousin "all y'all", but you also get things like the universal modifier "bigole" (as in "the sheriff is a bigole bulkyboy and he was drivin' a bigole unmarked pickup when he done me for speeding"... translation, "the fat sheriff was in an unmarked truck when he ticketed me for speeding").

keithfre

Quote from: Agrippa on April 30, 2015, 12:35:45 PM
Never quite figured why highly inflammable means highly flammable,
when inflexible and flexible are opposites.
It seems that confusion goes all the way back to Latin: check out in- prefix section here:
http://www.chambers.co.uk/search.php?query=in-&title=21st&sourceid=Mozilla-search
I particularly like "used to add emphasis or force, or sometimes with almost no meaning", as is the case with (in)flammable  ;D

port perran

Quote from: Agrippa on April 30, 2015, 12:35:45 PM
Never quite figured why highly inflammable means highly flammable,
when inflexible and flexible are opposites.
We often laugh about prawns.
When you see in a recipe used shelled prawns does this mean with or without shells ?
Think about it.
It usually means with no shells but in reality it sound like prawns with shells.
Or is it just us?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Agrippa

Standing about in pubs , as I frequently do, often someone will say
"My big pal's got  a new car"  or "My big mate's getting married "
etc. Never sure if these pals are tall or longstanding aquaintances.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Jon898 on April 30, 2015, 01:53:27 PM

Here in the US South, I have a whole lot of local phrases and meanings to decifer

Do they really spell 'decipher' that way in the USA, Jon? (Genuine quest for knowledge as opposed to extracting the proverbial)

Jon898

Quote from: newportnobby on April 30, 2015, 04:40:10 PM

Here in the US South, I have a whole lot of local phrases and meanings to decifer

Do they really spell 'decipher' that way in the USA, Jon? (Genuine quest for knowledge as opposed to extracting the proverbial)

They used to give me spelling tests in geometry class to ensure nobody got 100% for the year, and I had to repeat a whole year of prep school because I failed Greek, so, no they do not spell it that way  :dunce: it's just me being what my Cajun former employee would term a "dumbass" (one day, when he had used it with the director of the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration, I had to translate that term as "valued craft worker", but that's another story).

I admit, it looked strange when I typed it...

Tdm

I often hear that English is one of the most difficult languages for a "foreigner" to learn as it has no real "structure" to it, unlike Spanish and French for example.
I can quite understand that as some of the things we say and write don't really make logical sense when looked at in the light of day. For example :-

"Off to the Pub", "Give us a bell", "I'll bid you goodnight", etc.

There must be thousands of similar examples which must be a nightmare for someone learning English to understand.

Mind you I have just got back from having a biopsy at Wrexham (Wrecsam) Maelor Hospital, and had forgotten what the Welsh (Cymraeg) language is like, but to me hearing so many people speaking Welsh there, also reminded me that in my opinion, a Welsh accent is one of the nicest (if not the nicest) accents of all.

weave

Maybe this is in the realm of "urban legend", but wasn't there an issue when ungated level crossings were being introduced that the signs read "Wait at Line While Lights Flash"?  Apparently, that was interpreted in some region(s) as meaning "wait at the line until the lights flash", resulting in a few fatalities.  When I heard this related, it was ascribed to the rural northwest, so any Cumbrian natives could comment?

Here in the US South, I have a whole lot of local phrases and meanings to decifer.  The obvious one is "y'all" (used to think that was a two-masted boat) and it's plural cousin "all y'all", but you also get things like the universal modifier "bigole" (as in "the sheriff is a bigole bulkyboy and he was drivin' a bigole unmarked pickup when he done me for speeding"... translation, "the fat sheriff was in an unmarked truck when he ticketed me for speeding").

The 'while' could be true. I'm a southerner and on holiday in Spain the coach rep, who was northern, when telling us the itineraries, kept saying 'lunch 12 while 3, dinner 6 while 9.30' etc.   

We got it but being southern no one asked why.                                                                         

Trainfish

I hate it when people start a sentence with the word 'listen'. I'm already listening otherwise I wouldn't have heard you. It also sounds like they are giving out an order and I don't like taking orders just like when a waitress gives me my meal and orders me to "enjoy".
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

steve836

Quote from: Tdm on April 30, 2015, 06:46:11 PM
I often hear that English is one of the most difficult languages for a "foreigner" to learn as it has no real "structure" to it, unlike Spanish and French for example.
I can quite understand that as some of the things we say and write don't really make logical sense when looked at in the light of day. For example :-

"Off to the Pub", "Give us a bell", "I'll bid you goodnight", etc.

There must be thousands of similar examples which must be a nightmare for someone learning English to understand.

Mind you I have just got back from having a biopsy at Wrexham (Wrecsam) Maelor Hospital, and had forgotten what the Welsh (Cymraeg) language is like, but to me hearing so many people speaking Welsh there, also reminded me that in my opinion, a Welsh accent is one of the nicest (if not the nicest) accents of all.

Reminds me of a mate of mine who went to the US on an exchange program and got into trouble when, being given a task which required an early start, he told a female co-worker that he would call round in the morning and knock her up. Apparently it means something different across the pond.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

LAandNQFan

Maybe this is in the realm of "urban legend", but wasn't there an issue when ungated level crossings were being introduced that the signs read "Wait at Line While Lights Flash"?  Apparently, that was interpreted in some region(s) as meaning "wait at the line until the lights flash", resulting in a few fatalities. 
The way I heard it was as a joke:  "Ah wayted while lights flashed, an a bludy great barrier cam down and stopped me gewin acrost."
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

MalcolmInN

Quote from: steve836 on April 30, 2015, 09:57:16 PMthat he would call round in the morning and knock her up. Apparently it means something different across the pond.
Not only but also in the norf of england (specially I fink) in the NEast when 'she' would have been in a bit of a state - - and he also when her father came calling with a shotgun (marriage).
By the way, dont ever try to cheer an American up with the expression "keep your pecker up", mind-u that is not often used any more now in England common speak either.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Tdm on April 30, 2015, 06:46:11 PM
Nope, sorry, gotta disagree, too much structure in them romance languages, too many genders, who ever heard of tables and '(la?) plumes de ma tant' and other assorted inanimate objects having sex ? (German is even worse I am told ? ) I got on very bad with French at school (well, 'bad' is relative, it directed me into the sciencies cos they declared me a duffer at languages ! )

Agrippa

English is the Lingua Franca of the world , despite the fact that many people
don't use proper grammar like wot i do. It's been  extremely flexible over
the years and can absorb foreign words and phrases almost automatically
with ease.

eg blitz,safari,algebra,claymore, ski,karaoke , sherry, vandal , skipper

truly the language of the future.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

dannyboy

And then there is regional english ! "Ayup lad, where's tha bin?". "Arve bin t'Ilkley Moor bahtat". "Well arll go t'foot of ar stairs". "Sithee later". (This could go on, and on, and on.....!   :sorrysign: :smiley-laughing: David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations