How different age groups react to new technology

Started by Dorsetmike, July 30, 2014, 05:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

This is an interesting quote by the late Douglas Adams, I wondered what the forum would make of it...

"I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MattJ

Actually, new technology is getting boring.  It's always slightly improved versions of existing things.  I want to see something jaw-droppingly NEW.
They're there for their tea.

Newportnobby

I can go along with 1. and 2. but would probably make 3. "Anything invented after you're fifty............."
Just my twopenn'orth :hmmm:

port perran

I can go with 1 but the other two are less precise.
I still think new technology is great and exciting (at 59) but I do get exasperated with so called major upgrades to existing technology which are billed as "groundbreaking" but are in fact minor tweaks designed merely to make people part with their money.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

sparky

You have all missed 4... "At any age DCC is sometimes utterly baffling" :hmmm:

Chetcombe

Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mustermark

You could debate what age applies to each, but I think it is kind of true...

I'm 50 and I bl**dy love all this new fangled technology. I think it's great fun.  But that fits perfectly with Mr Adams' theory when you consider my mental age is about 12.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Greybeema

But it's not just about the tech.  It's how it is applied. 

Eg 3D Printing.  Great tech but if you consider that a widget is needed in the States and is supplied from Europe.  Rather than manufacturing the part in Europe and shipping it over, the part can be emailed and manufactured locally...  Delivery by email....

Now that's tech... 
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on August 01, 2014, 03:14:55 PM
Bit scary they know what Tazers and bombs look like :o :worried:
They were Tazers & bombs ??? !!!  :o

I thought they were old tech ... !!!  ::)

Agrippa

At least I now know that the French word for a mouse  is the French word for a mouse.
If you get my drift.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

mr bachmann

technology ? well my car has grease nipple's , manual starting , one puts oil into the petrol , the hood is raised and lowered manualy , the traficator switch is clockwork , heating is provided by a travel rug -
all this is done manualy and it never fails .

alan

Kipper

I am 64, and just love all new technology. I can sit and look at it all day. I just need a younger person to show me how to switch it on!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations