The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertHound

Thing is Steve, they already penalize people, it's called parking charges. I know what you mean though, and I'm not entirely sure I agree with it ethically either, but it's one solution.

You could also argue the opposite, that petrol taxes are grossly unfair on those living in the countryside, since they have to cover more miles to go to work, go to the supermarket etc, yet there is no congestion.

Many large cities (think London) have good public transport systems and when I worked in London hardly anybody drove to work. Everyone took the train or bus. Improving the road network is a must but didn't they do studies years ago to demonstrate that building more roads just leads to more cars?

Not in disagreement with you. If I knew the answer I'd take it to the government!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Trainfish on October 26, 2014, 12:34:19 AM
What I can never understand is how the cost for a car or even a minibus with up to 9 seats is £6.40 yet a van which generally only carries 2 people costs double that!  :doh:

Because they can ? A lot of vans and trucks go the long way around as a result especially as Welsh council business contracts specify severn bridge tolls are not expensable or reclaimable.

Still we do now have a Stobart Less CO2 service into South Wales.

I did like the comments of one of the severn tunnel engineering team that they try to avoid cutting England off from civilization more than neccessary 8-)

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

talisman56

Dartford crossing is a toll bridge southbound and toll tunnels northbound (the original southbound tunnel is now northbound).
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

DesertHound

Quote from: EtchedPixels on October 26, 2014, 11:08:55 AM
I did like the comments of one of the severn tunnel engineering team that they try to avoid cutting England off from civilization more than neccessary 8-)

Alan

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :wave:

Talisman - thanks for also pointing out it's tolls both ways. I couldn't remember. I thought it used to be only tolls in one direction, bt that could have been a while ago, or a figment of my imagination.

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

talisman56

Quote from: DesertHound on October 26, 2014, 12:04:11 PM

Alan

Talisman - thanks for also pointing out it's tolls both ways. I couldn't remember. I thought it used to be only tolls in one direction, bt that could have been a while ago, or a figment of my imagination.

Cheers

Dan

Apparently the Dartford crossing is free between 10pm and 6am - I suppose it saves them having to pay night rates to the crossing staff...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Sprintex

Quote from: talisman56 on October 26, 2014, 12:11:51 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on October 26, 2014, 12:04:11 PM

Alan

Cheers

Dan

Apparently the Dartford crossing is free between 10pm and 6am - I suppose it saves them having to pay night rates to the crossing staff...

Won't have to pay crossing staff at all soon as it's going "Numberplate Recognition" during November and will be chargeable on the same basis as the London Congestion Charge - either you pay in advance of using it or you have until midnight the following day to pay it, otherwise you will face a penalty charge :thumbsup:

Taken from the Dart-TAG website:-
"The way you pay the Dartford Crossing charge is changing.

Dart Charge — the new remote payment system being introduced during late November 2014 will reduce congestion and ease traffic flow at the Crossing.

If you currently have a DART-Tag it will be easy for you to move to a new Dart Charge account.

Please ensure the contact information on your account is up to date because you will be contacted with further information about how to move to the new account shortly.

Current DART-Tag holders will not lose any credit from their existing accounts and any remaining funds will either be transferred or refunded, as appropriate.

Once Dart Charge has been introduced, it will no longer be possible to pay the charge at a barrier as you use the Crossing. Instead, you will need to pay in advance of crossing or by midnight the following day. You will be able to pay in several ways, including; online, by phone at one of many payzone retail outlets or by post.

It will still be easier to set up an account, where you can save up to one third on every crossing.

Advance construction work is well underway to prepare for the introduction of Dart Charge. Immediately after the introduction of Dart Charge, we will start the main road works at the Crossing to remove the booths and introduce a new road layout; this work is due to be completed in spring 2015.

You can find more information and subscribe to receive updates on the introduction of Dart Charge at www.gov.uk/highways/dartford "

Paul

Greybeema

Watch out for the minimum balance allowed and the minimum top out account - you might be surprised about how high the level of each is...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Trainfish

So it will be free to anyone with false number plates then?  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Skyline2uk

Holy roof (I invite jokes on that theme to lighten the mood) update 1:

Well it seems it is not that serious. There is a vent installed in the roof, and as I sort of suspected, the lead flashing is a bit bent and letting in rain at certain angle.

It would seem that (in the words of the roofer who went to take a peak) it has been "installed by a plumber". Its not a bad job, just not finished correctly. Much like we are finding we the rest of this house, it was a half-job.

Anyway, said roofer was here less than 30 mins, said it was not a big job and he would send (e-mail) a quote. That was on Thursday. Nothing.

Now I am sorry but why do local tradesman just not want work??? Is this "too small to bother with"? Even if that were true, why not just come out with that? I am prepared to pay the man the going rate, I don't want my house leaking through the winter (I suspect this would not be its first winter, judging by the inept quality of things I have found in the house to date).

I may be forced to price up tall ladders and do it myself. Which will no doubt result in a trip to A&E. Or a YBF clip. Which I suppose could provide some funds.

ARG!

Skyline2uk

Bob Tidbury

DONT Talk to me about roofers ,The scaffolders were supposed to put scaffolding up on Thur 16 didnt come till Friday  afternoon put up the front bit said they were coming back Sat came Sun afternoon put up side scaffolding ,
Roofer came Mon mid day said he will come back when the rest of scaffold was up they came Mon afternoon finished the rest,The roofer came Wed went to get matching tiles came back Fri it's now 11days later roof half done no sign of roofer phone turned off no contact at all.as you say don't they want work. How can you leave a roof half done I am old school if I do something for some one I do it as quickly as I can and to the best of my ability,no one seems to care a toss any more
Bob

steve836

Quote from: Skyline2uk on October 27, 2014, 06:27:32 PM
Holy roof (I invite jokes on that theme to lighten the mood) update 1:

Well it seems it is not that serious. There is a vent installed in the roof, and as I sort of suspected, the lead flashing is a bit bent and letting in rain at certain angle.

It would seem that (in the words of the roofer who went to take a peak) it has been "installed by a plumber". Its not a bad job, just not finished correctly. Much like we are finding we the rest of this house, it was a half-job.

Anyway, said roofer was here less than 30 mins, said it was not a big job and he would send (e-mail) a quote. That was on Thursday. Nothing.

Now I am sorry but why do local tradesman just not want work??? Is this "too small to bother with"? Even if that were true, why not just come out with that? I am prepared to pay the man the going rate, I don't want my house leaking through the winter (I suspect this would not be its first winter, judging by the inept quality of things I have found in the house to date).

I may be forced to price up tall ladders and do it myself. Which will no doubt result in a trip to A&E. Or a YBF clip. Which I suppose could provide some funds.

ARG!

Skyline2uk

1) Strictly speaking a plumber should do the lead work (plumbum is the latin for lead)
2) If you do fall off pics please :D
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Skyline2uk

Quote1) Strictly speaking a plumber should do the lead work (plumbum is the latin for lead)
2) If you do fall off pics please :D

1) Smart

2) How rude  :P

Skyline2uk

EtchedPixels

Extreme railway modelling opportunity. Bet not many people have run trains round their chimney  :(
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Buzzard

OK so I get this new phone made by a company whose motto is Life's Good.

Well life wood be good in the Buzzard household except

a)  I cannot get hold of a full manual for the phone
b)  I cannot register my phone on the LG website
c)  As I cannot do b above I cannot get user support to assist and finally
d)  LG seem to busy to talk to me or have enough people on their live chat facility

So dear reader if you're thinking of buying an LG product do some more research and buy your required product from another manufacturer.

Life's Good, pah!

Nigel

ozzie Bill.

Why is it that when you are assembling a kit, or similar, there is always one joint that gives you grief. I am trying to put together a ratio brass etch safety cage for a ladder and there is one pesky joint where the glue just won't take!!! Aaaargh! Driving me crazy. Hopefully I have finally nailed it, but there is a big goo of glue on that joint, so that will have to come off, as it is unacceptable, even to my low standards. Cheers, Bill.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations