!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modeling n-scale water  (Read 2319 times)

Offline agent9843

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Peace & Love
    • YouTube
    • Ringo- TheMad Modeler, N-scale Models  "How To" -Make -Build -Scale -Model -Diorama
    • Awards
Modeling n-scale water
« on: November 20, 2012, 02:26:35 AM »
Posting my n-scale waterfront project.  Not exactly happy with it  :-[; but what's done is done.  Used realistic water and gel medium.  Have a look... and comments if you have em.
Images and video follow:

http://youtu.be/go3b6ODdc0k

Regards, Aj

Offline A.Carter (BiG-T)

• N Gauge Society Number: 22937
    • Awards
Re: Modeling n-scale water
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »
It's looking good, water is always a hard thing to model it either look's good or ok. there's a layout on the exhibition circuit that uses real flowing water, sounds daft but to me it always look's over scale if real water could be over scale.

Tony

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:36:49 AM »
Thanks for Video

Always a hard one to get right and will admit to having "simple flat painted" water on my current layout as it was easier.

Will be going to try "realistic" water from Woodland Sceinics at some point. Will post pics - if and when.

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »
Hi

I have used 'realistic water' for a river, marshes and a dock. I have found the key to it looking decent is not to use blue underpaint but an assortment of dark colours like those supplied in Woodland Scenics water kits. Also I have found it essential to only lay the liquid in very thin layers and only when the temperature is above 16 degrees celcius. Below this it takes ages to dry and set and  is easily messed up. To get depth therefore takes a few a layers and a bit of time.

I have also tried painting a few sections of the layer last poured when dry and putting a clear layer on top. This can give some appearance of swirls and depth.

I have had problems with leakage of the liquid and when the base is sealed with PVA as recommended this can turn white again after the realistic water solution is poured on it and sets. To stop this I have had to ensure that all PVA is overpainted and the paint is fully dry before applying the water.
For rapids, waves and waterfalls I have used the waterfall kit which works well.

Cheers

Mac

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
Good work agent9843 - love the way you have integrated the people.

I've used Magic Water for my seascape which I applied at the end of Feb. I'm pleased to report that there has been no shrinkage or yellowing. I've also put tools on it temporarily and it shows no signs of any damage or indentation.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=4249.0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:56:51 AM by Pengy, Reason: extra details »
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything