!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout  (Read 29603 times)

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
Re: Japanese Terminus Layout
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments all... :thumbsup:

Your layout is looking great Claude, have to hand it to the Japanese layouts as they always look bright and cheerful, are you going to plant some of those beautiful blossom trees that I have seen on Japanese layouts over here in Oz ?.

There are plans for a few blossom trees towards the front of the layout. If you see the photos I posted back on 29th April, you will see a section of hillside with a small yellow pick up truck. This will be an orchard with a couple of small farm buildings in this area...hopefully to give a little more depth to the layout. There will also be quite an extensive woodland behind the layout, covering the hillside to be built over the fiddle yard.

Town Centre is looking great! Where did you get the Southern Turbostar?

Thanks... The Turbostar is a standard Farish model - part number 371-430. I've not seen them in production for quite a while, and there is no evidence of them in the current Farish catalogue. You do see them from time to time on second-hand stalls or on Ebay, so it's worth keeping an eye out.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
Claude, will you be bringing the Southern Turbostar to the Liphook show tomorrow?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline SymonC

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21645
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »
Town Centre is looking great! Where did you get the Southern Turbostar?

If it's the same as the one I have it's a Bachfar release from 2007.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 03:56:32 PM »
Claude, will you be bringing the Southern Turbostar to the Liphook show tomorrow?

Sure, I'll bring it along.

Yamanouchi Oshika will be set up and running, along with another N gauge layout (a German layout belonging to a member) which is under construction... I'll be bringing a couple of Bullets to run, along with one or two other interesting bits...

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
Finally now winter is at an end, I have had the chance to check out the layout and make sure all is okay electrically. All seems to be fine, with a couple of sticky points attended to, and a thorough clean has taken place.

First things first, they layout now has a name...Kanjiyama. This is meant to be a small town somewhere in the JR Eastern region, up in the Japanese Alps. It is a junction station between a diesel operated branch line and the Kanjiyama line, a small third-sector branch heading off into the mountains.

The scenery has changed a little. Carving the foam would have been a real hassle, to the point where this has been dropped, and a more solid base of hardboard has been adopted. The foam will be used for filling in gaps. The hillside will slowly climb behind the station, eventually swallowing both lines via a pair of Greenmax tunnels mouths, currently en route from Plaza Japan, along with a small selection of Sankei buildings to fill in some gaps.

Towards the top of the hill will be a small farm, which will have some open ground around it, before the landscape gets covered by trees. My first set of cheepo trees from China arrived the other week. Ideal for using in a forest, but probably not up to scratch for individual trees. Tomytec have provided a couple of bamboo trees, along with a couple of cherry blossoms, however the rest will come from Graham Avis. Some of these trees feature in pictures earlier in in this thread.

I have finally managed to fit the platform canopies, following the addition of signage. I'm not too sure what other platform details will be added...perhaps some of the plant areas provided in the Kato station accessory pack may add an extra splash of colour.

Kanjiyama sees a little freight traffic. This will eventually be in the form of an occasional fuel-oil train to the stabling point, as well as a more regular sand train, which uses the third-sector line. JRF traction will almost invariably be the DE10, although an occasional DD51 will crop up. The Kanjiyama line has a DD16, which is mainly used for engineering trains, as well as a couple of DE10s from the Tarumi line, bought when the cement operations ceased a few years ago. These are very recent additions, and are not, as yet, being used on the sand trains, which remains in the hands of the line's two DF50 locos...one of which has been fitted with headboards by the loco staff; delusions of grandeur setting in!

The sand trains will not properly start operations until I finally get round to obtaining a set of the Kato sand hoppers!

Operations is quite simple. The train arrives from the JR line and pulls into platform 3. The Kanjiyama line loco then runs out of the stabling sidings, hooks onto the end of the train and takes it up the branch. The JRF loco then runs to the stabling point to await the train's return. When it does return the whole process is reversed.

Neither lines are really heavily used, so the bulk of the traffic is handled by single-car units - KiHa110s for the JRE line, and either a KiHa40 or KiHa53 on the Kanjiyama line. Two-car sets do operate, and the Kanjiyama line has recently obtained a second-hand two-car KiHa58. Two-car KiHa110s and a recently delivered KiHa130 also show up on the JRE line.

Rush hour at Kanjiyama can get a little hectic!

In the main, platform 1 is used by the JR Eastern services, whilst platform 3 is used by the Kanjiyama line. Platform 2 is used occasionally, and is only accessible to the JRE line.

Just occasionally invisible catenary appears, allowing me to exercise some of the electric fleet. The local railfans got really excited with a couple of visitors from the Iida line turned up...

Now I am awaiting the arrival of the remaining buildings and the tunnel mouths before pressing on with the scenery behind the town. I also need to pay more attention to the stabling sidings and work out what buildings are going there...so far I have one portacabin.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:11:04 PM by Claude Dreyfus »

Offline galway

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21458
    • Awards
Re: Kanjiyama - Japanese Terminus Layout
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
Very nice looking layout  :thumbsup: and the storyline is great
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
Great to see this developing, Claude. I look forward to the updates :thumbsup:

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
Great looking layout Claude, reminds me of when I modelled Japanese :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
Nice to see a certain DMU being put to good use, and I love that last photo too. Don't tell anyone but I just bagged myself a Modemo NT23 Enoden Type 600 "Red colour scheme", run only once then stored absolute bargain £32 delivered  ;D  Wasn't planning on buying any more but a new one is over £90 here  ::)

One day I will get as advanced as you, need to buy a lot of track first  :(

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

When I saw the KiHa58 for sale I thought it would fit in perfectly with the small but select fleet being put together for the third-sector line. Some things are just meant to be!  :thumbsup:

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
More scenic progress to report...this time at the other end of the layout where I felt progress was clearly lacking.

Before this, however, I had one more Sankei structure to complete. This was the most complicated of the three, but made up a really nice model.

Perhaps the pictures don't show it in the best possible light...and yes, I still need to line out the roof edging to get shot of the white from the tile paper.

Now the three Sankei buildings are complete, I was able to roughly position them on the layout in more or less where they will be living. The landscape still has to be properly formed, but I hope you get the idea. There will be a tree lined bank between the right-hand Sankei building and the much larger Kato structure beside it.

A drawback with these very fine kits is that they are perhaps too fine compared with the altogether more 'rural' Tomytec offerings. This does look odd, so I have had to separate them to an extent...trees will come in very useful here!

The previously mentioned Kato apartment is the final town building to be added...save for a few small outbuildings etc. It was purchased to fill a large gap which I had not accounted for. It is still a bit bright, however will be toned down in due course.

This rather indifferent picture shows the overall townscape, awaiting the finer landscaping features before the first layer of paint and plaster is applied.

At the other end, the fiddle yard has now been obscured by a new hillside.

Just visible in the foreground is the start of the form work for the front hillside, which will be relatively high. I liked this idea as it would loose the trains in the landscape to a certain extent...and try to disguise the fact the layout is only 1'6'' wide. The area I have to play with in terms of the third-sector companies yard is now a little more apparent.

This final image shows the front edging more clearly. This is to protect the scenery from the front, and at the board join. The pink foam will form the main basis of the hillside. The woodwork will be painted black to blend in with the framework at the front of the layout.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »
Very nice, Claude :thumbsup:
Just don't be tempted to cut any layout grass with that Flymo :o

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
Good stuff.   Great to see the layout going so well. :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
Just don't be tempted to cut any layout grass with that Flymo :o

It may prove useful in trimming the hills down a little...

Hopefully the general detritus seen in many of the photos will be cleared out as part of the Easter 'project', which involves emptying out the shed, garage and cupboard under the stairs and putting everything back again - hopefully in some semblance of order, and hopefully thinned out a little!

Gives me more space to work on the layout, as well as having the ability to store things in a more organised way. It may even provide me with a flat, level surface for me to carry out some modelling over the summer!  :o

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »
 :smiley-laughing:
Ah - the famous Easter clearout of outbuildings like garages/sheds. It's an institution.
Mine is getting a serious workover involving a skip :o

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here