!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Peco  (Read 13422 times)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
Re: Peco
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Does anyone have any updates on the release of the new 3 way point yet?

5th of September I have heard. :thumbsup:

Offline cudders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
About time!!!  ;D

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline chris carter

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »
Hi i'm building a large DCC l;ayout 40+ points 4 track helix etc, i'm also using all code 55, i simply solder a common to the frog wire and then take that to common on a switch on the cobalts point motors which are fantastic, so in essence i take a red and black from the track bus to one of the extra switches on the cobalt, then the common from the switch to the point. So far no issues with slow running or shorts on electrofrog points.The cobalts are not cheap but are worth the etra investment, nice and slow and less stress on the blades.

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Hi i'm building a large DCC l;ayout 40+ points 4 track helix etc, i'm also using all code 55, i simply solder a common to the frog wire and then take that to common on a switch on the cobalts point motors which are fantastic, so in essence i take a red and black from the track bus to one of the extra switches on the cobalt, then the common from the switch to the point. So far no issues with slow running or shorts on electrofrog points.The cobalts are not cheap but are worth the etra investment, nice and slow and less stress on the blades.

i get great performance with peco point using the manual version of this, with point levers and spdt switches changing polarity,,,,
Charlie.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »
I realise that this thread is a little old now, but did it ever reach a firm conclusion about mixing different grades of Peco track? I've been working on a new layout design and have been chucking in Peco Streamline, Finescale and Setrack to make the design fit the space. I'm still unsure whether this is going to cause problems when (if!) it's in operation.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
For Peco:
Code 80 flex and set-track match exactly
Code 55 and code 80 join but you will need a bit of packing under the join as the code 55 is lower from railtop to baseboard. Not a big problem. You may also need to gently smooth the slight bump between the two.

But yes it works and it's not a big problem.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »
Thanks for that. I carried on reading elsewhere after posting that and found that most opinion agrees with you, and also points out that the Code 55 may cause minor running problems for some locos. As I didn't have much Code 55 in my trackplan anyway, I've removed all but two vital points/crossovers that can't be changed without changing the track plan. Those I'll just pad out underneath and perhaps file on top if need be :-)

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
"Before we give consideration to your baseboard design, we have some concerns about the practicality of your proposed track plan. a) The track seems to be a mixture of Code 80 and Code 55 track, whilst in theory this is possible, in practice we have found the connection between the two track sections to be problematic at best."

Now I am in a quandery. Do I have to revise my plans and size of layout in order to go Code 55 only?  ??? ??? ???
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
Now I am in a quandery. Do I have to revise my plans and size of layout in order to go Code 55 only?  ??? ??? ???

I'd go with one or the other if I were you, or keep them as separated as possible. Code 80 for the sidings and Code 55 for the mainline, perhaps. I went completely for Code 80 in my layout plan because I needed lots of short length points.

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
The main line is almost all Code 55 except ontry to fiddle yard. The Code 80 is in the station and goods area of the Branch Line.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »
Crikey! That's a layout and a half! Very impressive.  :thumbsup:

I guess you're doing the right thing with the division of track types. Perhaps make the main running lines through the fiddle yard Code 55 too, to make absolutely sure that everything runs smoothly at speed. From what I've read, it's not a deal-breaker anyway, as you just need to provide the Code 55 with some padding underneath where it meets Code 80. But it doesn't hurt to play it safe where you can.

Offline LNER1949

• N Gauge Society Number: 10272
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
Don't know if this is any help, as I used the code 55 on my layout viewing side & used the code 80 for the hidden sideings, to keep the code 55 same height, I used a double side "stick trackalay" which the code 55 sits on, and it is on par with the code 80 which I have laid bare onto the boards. I think the code 55 is as good as one can put together from fine scale 2mm Society home made track, for which I don't have the time or paitance to fiddle with.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything