!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Couplers and Compatability??  (Read 1906 times)

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Couplers and Compatability??
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »
Hi lads, after all the bright ideas about building a OO layout and spending three days on an island drawing plans for it I have now come to the conclusion that I don't have the room to do what I want.

Plan B is now my original idea and that is to build an American N scale layout over the top of my British N layout, not settled on a theme yet but I will draw a plan over the next few days.

Anyhow back to my real intention for this post.

Are the new Bachmann Knuckle Couplers compatible with Micro Trains, Atlas Accumate and Kato couplers, I know some of you lads have been buying Bachmann locos and other stock lately so I am hoping you can help me.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Zunnan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17178
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Couplers and Compatability??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »
I've found that generally speaking MT, Accumate (Atlas) and McHenry couplers work OK together but there are some niggles when using uncouplers. I tend to refit anything that doesn't use Accumate or MT couplers with MTs as result. I've not had the need for anything that Bachmann produce yet so haven't tested those couplers specifically, but I expect that I'd probably fit MTs in the long term.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:55 AM »
I've found that generally speaking MT, Accumate (Atlas) and McHenry couplers work OK together but there are some niggles when using uncouplers. I tend to refit anything that doesn't use Accumate or MT couplers with MTs as result. I've not had the need for anything that Bachmann produce yet so haven't tested those couplers specifically, but I expect that I'd probably fit MTs in the long term.

Thanks for the reply Zunnan, I used to fit all my US N scale stock with MTs but doubt if I will do it again, the price we have to pay in Oz for MTs is crazy as last time I converted my stock it cost me $400au or 260 UKP.

I made the conversion to MTs because I found the Accumate couplers were a pain with the supposed to air hoses falling out.

I don't spend as much on the hobby as I used to and buy mostly second hand stock, I think this time I will only buy stock that is equipped with Knuckle Couplers, that brings me back to the original question, are Bachmann E-Z Mate MkII couplers compatible with other brands.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »
They should couple reasonably well but may not magnetically uncouple reliably ???

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 01:58:53 AM »
Hi Dave

Had no real issues with Bachman couplers.

Kato seem to be the only ones that give me trouble, but as these are mainly on my Coalporter sets and are generally run as one long unit I get by. Certainly MT seem to be the best and most reliable and are what I usually retro fit where needed.

There are several sources of info on this topic (including conversion) and is certainly well documented among our American counterparts.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 02:02:47 AM »
Hi Dave

Had no real issues with Bachman couplers.

Kato seem to be the only ones that give me trouble, but as these are mainly on my Coalporter sets and are generally run as one long unit I get by. Certainly MT seem to be the best and most reliable and are what I usually retro fit where needed.

There are several sources of info on this topic (including conversion) and is certainly well documented among our American counterparts.

Thanks very much for that it helps to know what is and isn't compatible, I always had trouble with Kato couplers but changed them to MTs, once again  :thankyousign: for the reply  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:11:55 AM »
FOR YOUR INFO

Nice link showing the various couplers and their history

http://www.nscaledivision.com/information_on_couplers.htm

:ngauge:

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »
Thanks for that and for reminding me about that website, I wish they would update it to the present day, regardless its still a good source of information  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal