!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NGF Exclusive! Windhoff MPV Prototype!  (Read 89602 times)

Offline H

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • grahamehedges
    • Awards
Re: NGF Exclusive! Windhoff MPV Prototype at TINGs!
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
At the end of the day it's all about timing and availablity.

H.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2012, 03:30:28 PM »
At the end of the day it's all about timing and availablity.

H.

And this seems a great time to launch it and good to see the prototype available at the N Gauge show last weekend. Well done Forum Team!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline RussellH

• Trade Count: (+9)
    • Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the masses of support - it all helps!

Very interesting discussion going on about possible duplication - if bachmann do one now or later it really doesnít matter, as we'll make as many as is required - no waste. Thatís the beauty of 3D and if just one person enjoys it then its been worth while. The beautiful bachmann OO version has the motor in/under the central tank - ours (at the moment!) has a totally removable deck so can be run empty. David who does the 3D cad stuff must be confident as heís working on the wood carrier module.

Having said that it is real pain in the motorising department. The motor bogie works reasonably well and it has pulled 7 VBA's on the flat & straight with virtually no extra weight. The down side is it's just too hard to find for sale anywhere, a tad difficult to install and its start/stop are a tad abrupt - But no worse than Iv seen at big exhibitions. If you can find one and want to use it you can have this MPV - now.

If you want one with a flat deck under each end to play with motorising yourself Iím sure we can do that too. FUD is nice to machine. Alan suggested the bogies from a Portram - this may work! Its got powered bogies in either half so you only need one tram.

Meanwhile - The search for an alternative progresses with tomix bogies and a 6mm coreless motor/gearbox....

And David would like to know opinions on the deck texture.

Regards
Russ
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:28:05 PM by RussellH »
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
IMHO deck looks great  :thumbsup:
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2012, 09:35:27 PM »
Looks pretty good to me
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline bridgiesimon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12318
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2012, 10:01:20 PM »
Timber version sounds very interesting,
http://www.penmorfa.com/Wrexham/three.html
have a look around 2/3 down for a couple of examples of these running with some OTA wagons - Chivers kits to complete!

Simon

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 01:17:30 AM »

Hello again,

The deck looks pretty good to me too - good job.

Incidentally, while I applaud the development team for the work they've done, and wish them luck, the comments above about motorising the model underline that going for a powered vehicle from the start was a courageous decision.

I've designed several kits for the N Gauge society, none of them motorised, so I understand some of the difficulties faced by those involved in this project and have huge admiration for the sheer amount of work I know they must've done to get this far.

Nonetheless, surely reasonable and good natured discussion around the wisdom and possible pitfalls of selecting this particular prototype are perfectly valid topics for a model railway forum which invites discussion?

cheers

Ben A.

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2012, 10:18:40 AM »

Nonetheless, surely reasonable and good natured discussion around the wisdom and possible pitfalls of selecting this particular prototype are perfectly valid topics for a model railway forum which invites discussion?

cheers Ben A.

I 100% agree Ben. I notice from your previous posts/contributions that you put a lot into the hobby and your posts/discussions are formed of experiences in this field and therefore your positive criticism is welcomed and very valid.
My posts were aimed at a about two members whom are openly admitting to starting arguments on the subject and funnily enough The same two whom have started similar arguments on other topics in the past they clearly know nothing about, just for attention seeking purposes/trying to look good.

Unfortunately their comments tend to do the hobby/concerned parties more harm than good and actually puts off people going for a huge project like this. One the hobby could clearly benefit from.
I will always welcome advice/constructive criticism/people pointing out things that may assist the potential project, but downright argument starting on a subject/field they know little about just upsets forum harmony.

All the best
OwL

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
Absolutely

If you are in it for the hobby make the things *you* want. If you are in it for the money - you are in the wrong scale  ::)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Anthony Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18392
    • Facebook
    • My website
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
Absolutely

If you are in it for the hobby make the things *you* want. If you are in it for the money - you are in the wrong scale  ::)
:laughabovepost: :thumbsup: :beers: :claphappy:

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
Hi Guys

Were not doing this for the money - good grief we'd have gone broke ages ago. Its just because we can and its fun.

Meanwhile the nanomotor and gearbox idea isnít suitable for this but may interest you if you need slow speed tiny drives (wind turbines etc) or fancy re-motoring something maybe. Lovely little unit thatís runs on very low volts but when used with a tomix bogie made a farish 08 look quite speedy.

https://catalog.precisionmicrodrives.com/order-parts/product/206-102-6mm-dc-gearmotor-16mm-type

Plan C on the go now....stuffing the tomix motor into the chassis. 12mm diameter motor with 10mm across the flats into a 8mm high chassis - watch this space.

Also Iv been asked for a loco hauled version of this - its possible as modules sit on the same lugs as the cab. Question is will the jap bogies be Ok or is there a preference as to what else could be used. Comment welcome! Only thing is - it has to be available in sufficient quantities - unlike that motor bogie we were using! Lesson learnt here for anyone creating items Ė make sure thereís sufficient supply of essential bits.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:05 PM »

Question is will the jap bogies be Ok or is there a preference as to what else could be used.

I didn't know if you were going to print the dummy bogie, or at least bogie sides.

I'm guessing the more important thing would be to make the mounting on the chassis compatible with as many options as possible
for ease of supply I'd guess ATM or similar, it must be easier to get the dummy bogies than the powered ones.

just my opinion.

Offline RussellH

• Bridgebury gate
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2012, 08:49:17 PM »
Hi 37025

This is just a question for use on the possibility of an unpowered loco hauled set.

The jap unpowered bogies seem to be in stock and have the benefit of power pickup.

The UK alternatives can be made to fit - the mounts are different but they look more familiar.

So, a chance to choose a Uk bogie version - what looks best for this type of wagon in your opinion??

Regards
Russ

www.bridgeburygate.com

Offline class37025

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
Hi Russell,

think I'd go for either

2002C

pair English Steel ESC-1 bogies, NEM pocket, mouldings only

2002D

pair English Steel ESC-1 bogies, NEM pocket, complete with wheels

both ATM and available from TPM.

http://atmwagons.co.uk/id6.html

after all, would be under Rule 1 so your own choice, each to his own.

cheers

alan

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
My posts were aimed at a about two members whom are openly admitting to starting arguments on the subject and funnily enough The same two whom have started similar arguments on other topics in the past they clearly know nothing about, just for attention seeking purposes/trying to look good.

Unfortunately their comments tend to do the hobby/concerned parties more harm than good and actually puts off people going for a huge project like this. One the hobby could clearly benefit from.
I will always welcome advice/constructive criticism/people pointing out things that may assist the potential project, but downright argument starting on a subject/field they know little about just upsets forum harmony.

I don't know who this is aimed at, but it really isn't helpful. People (me included) have expressed reservations about possible (or likely depending on your view) duplication which seems a valid concern.

As I said at the start I know only too well the problem of finding time to develop 3D models.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations