!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: sticking non ballasted track  (Read 809 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
sticking non ballasted track
« on: September 02, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
Hi all,

Have stuck down all the track with double sided sticky tape as can't seem to come to terms with track pins and it makes it reasonably easy to remove if something goes wrong. Am about to start ballasting which should keep it all down properly as it does have a tendency to pop up slightly in places. However, don't want to ballast the non seen track so wondering best way of sealing it.

Would putting the PVA glue solution that you put on ballast work or just flow away and serve no purpose or should I just squirt glue over the middle of the sleepers. You all prob going to say use track pins but they do my head in. Maybe my eyesight's shot but they bend, ping off, I don't know.... little baskets!

Thanks for any advice

Cheers Weave

Offline Bikeracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
Re: sticking non ballasted track
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
I've stuck my track down with spaced out pieces of double sided tape,where there is no sticky tape I put neat PVA round the ends of the sleepers using a fine tip applicator and then go over it using a small stiffish brush to spread and poke it.
After that I put a a piece of steel weight on the track until the glue dries clear.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: sticking non ballasted track
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »
Hi all,

Have stuck down all the track with double sided sticky tape as can't seem to come to terms with track pins and it makes it reasonably easy to remove if something goes wrong. Am about to start ballasting which should keep it all down properly as it does have a tendency to pop up slightly in places. However, don't want to ballast the non seen track so wondering best way of sealing it.

Find some woodscrews that will fit between two sleepers but are wide enough the screw head is holding the sleepers down, buy a box of them and just screw down between the sleepers here and there. That also makes it trivial to take the fiddle yard track back up and re-use it.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal