Why so few tank locos?

Started by nf3996, August 25, 2012, 10:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

About 3 years ago I started to scratchbuild a Barclays 0-6-0T engine as used by the Wemyss Private Railway. On version 7 at the moment, still about 80% complete. Not as easy as it looks.

Alex :wave:

moogle

You could add the Minitrix Dock Tank (Ex-LMS) to the list, although like the Farish J69 is only available secondhand.
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Roy L S

Quote from: Joe 90 on August 25, 2012, 02:00:08 PM
I must admit I wouldn't mind a tank loco.
Preferably a 2MT Tank as they ran on the Guildford to Horsham line many years ago.

I believe Farish made some a few years back, but if they did they are like rocking horse poo.

It was Dapol who made the most recent Ivatt 2MT Tank about five or six years ago.

The initial batch were non-push-pull ones, they did BR Late Crest (2 Running Numbers) and LMS (Ditto).

Later they did two push-pull variants in BR livery too.

I have one of the originals and a later push-pull one. They are a lovely looking and well detailed model but by todays standards (Farish BR Standard 3MT Tank) the chassis is not that great. It runs smoothly enough but slow control is not fantastic.

The original version is also poor at going over pointwork without stalling. That is much to do with design I believe, with the cheapo plastic chassis being not especially "true" and not all wheels making good contact with rails. The later push-pull is better as it also has a pickup off the rear pony-truck.

By comparison the later Farish 3MT is a different proposition, it has a better metal chassis, see through spoked metal wheels, double reduction gearbox and is DCC ready. It only picks up off the loco wheels but is nonetheless far more reliable through pointwork as long as they are properly adjusted (Some that were delivered were not).  There are two further versions of the model due in the next couple of months hopefully.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Roy

BernardTPM

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 25, 2012, 04:02:03 PM
According to the main manufacturers
- they cost as much to design as the big mainline locos
- they don't sell as well
The second of those may well be true, but for the majority of older tank locos the lack of outside valve gear and often even cylinders must make them cheaper than a tender loco with outside cylinders and valve gear. They do plenty of the latter, of course. The main reason has got to be sales - glamourous outsells workaday every time.
Thought - now the upgrade of the Farish GWR panniers has been out-flanked by Dapol, why not use the chassis under an all-new 94xx? I'm pretty sure the wheelbase is the same. There's a way of spreading devlopment costs.

daveg

I have a 'mature' GF 57xx out for repair due back soon-ish I hope, and a Dapol 57xx on order - been waiting ages and still no ETA.

Meanwhile my pair of autocoaches are parked up, waiting for Godo.

Roy L S

Quote from: daveg on August 25, 2012, 07:00:04 PM
I have a 'mature' GF 57xx out for repair due back soon-ish I hope, and a Dapol 57xx on order - been waiting ages and still no ETA.

Meanwhile my pair of autocoaches are parked up, waiting for Godo.

Hi Dave

I am surprised you say you have been waiting ages for the Dapol 57xx you have on order given that it was only even announced a couple of months back!

As far as I am aware Dapol's intention was that it would be released at TINGS in September.

Maybe somebody else can confirm?

Regards

Roy

E Pinniger

There's also the Farish J94 Austerity saddle tank, still available at retail I think.

Minitrix made the tank version of the Ivatt 2MT as well as the tender version, like most Minitrix products it's a very good runner for its age, and not usually too pricey second hand.

Quote from: moogle on August 25, 2012, 03:16:13 PM
The J69 and GP tank are two very different beasties. The former fell apart when you removed the body for a start!
The J69 is often referred to as a Holden Tank, big motor, not very good for shunting or end to end layouts but great for roundy roundy types!
People often sell them on (or even give them away) once they lose the coupling rods but you can buy replacement  ones. I think its BH Enterprises who do them.

I'd be interested to know if these are still available (don't appear to be on the BH website). I have a J69 missing the con rods which is a surprisingly good runner considering the flimsy plastic clip-together chassis and can motor!

daveg

Hi Roy

Having been prompted by your comment about the wait, I checked and you are right, 4 weeks  - but it seems like ages!

Having read the review of forthcoming Dapol releases, including the tank, in the BRM, I asked Hattons if they had a shipping date and was told no news yet.

Karhedron

Quote from: E Pinniger on August 25, 2012, 08:43:12 PM
Minitrix made the tank version of the Ivatt 2MT as well as the tender version, like most Minitrix products it's a very good runner for its age, and not usually too pricey second hand.
I cannot speak specifically on the Minitrix Ivatt but many of their locos were compromised to some degree in order to fit the bodies on existing continental chassis.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

BernardTPM

Both the tank ands tender Minitrix versions had too big a boiler, but the tank sections were not too bad and well detailed. I wonder if a Farish/Minirix combination might work for a 2-6-2T, given the non-availabilty of the Dapol version.  :hmmm:

moogle

Quote from: E Pinniger on August 25, 2012, 08:43:12 PM
There's also the Farish J94 Austerity saddle tank, still available at retail I think.

Quote from: moogle on August 25, 2012, 03:16:13 PM
The J69 and GP tank are two very different beasties. The former fell apart when you removed the body for a start!
The J69 is often referred to as a Holden Tank, big motor, not very good for shunting or end to end layouts but great for roundy roundy types!
People often sell them on (or even give them away) once they lose the coupling rods but you can buy replacement  ones. I think its BH Enterprises who do them.

I'd be interested to know if these are still available (don't appear to be on the BH website). I have a J69 missing the con rods which is a surprisingly good runner considering the flimsy plastic clip-together chassis and can motor!

I'm sure its part No BHE114. Worth a try at 75p for a pair! http://www.bh-enterprises.co.uk/page13.htm

My Irish layout here

cudders

Yes RTR tank's are few and far between.

Most of mine are kits on farish chassis.  I have an N2, N7, L3, A5, three J50's and a Flatiron..May have some more but would have to check..

Why there is no J72 is beyond me..

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

H

Quote from: cudders on August 25, 2012, 11:46:19 PM

That's very debatable and dependant on your perspective. There's one heck of a lot more RTR tank kettles than pre-grouping 'singles' or DC EMUs.  :hmmm:

H.

cudders

I dont count GWR in this..loads of those types but not for me.

LNER and LMS were the biggest and most varied yet not that many types produced from the huge number available.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

moogle

Quote from: H on August 25, 2012, 11:56:46 PM
Quote from: cudders on August 25, 2012, 11:46:19 PM

That's very debatable and dependant on your perspective. There's one heck of a lot more RTR tank kettles than pre-grouping 'singles' or DC EMUs.  :hmmm:

H.

Very true H. There's less tanks than tender loco's or diesels for example.

If you go by tank engine style, then there are very few.
After all, a pannier tank is still a pannier tank regardless of which xx it is.

And then there's size and wheel arrangement.
Most of whats available is in the 0-6-0 format and is either long (i.e GP tank) or short (i.e J94) bodied.

Whilst there's Dapols 14xx 0-4-2 and M7 0-4-4 there's nothing else!
No 0-4-0's for example. Mind you, there's no 4w diesels either so it's on a level pegging as far as that goes.
(Unless you count that hideous Lima effort!  :-X)

My Irish layout here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations