!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Control Wires/Rods for Turnouts  (Read 4145 times)

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
Control Wires/Rods for Turnouts
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
 :wave:
Hi Guys and Gals  .

Came across this link for some nice looking manual turnout control levers for those of you that have need of such thing. Ive looked at all sorts of rods and cable arrangements, mainly model aircraft based, but these seem to be more in line with what I am looking for.  :goggleeyes:

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Website link http://www.humpyard.com/

May not be particularly cheap, but they certainly look the part and I do like the flexibility in how they can be mounted. I also see no reason why they could not be used in conjunction with a servo  to give the best of both worlds -  you could watch the levers move as if by magic.  ::)

Have asked for costs of International shipping and will post when I have details.

Hope you like these   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:56:32 AM by trainsdownunder »

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Re: Control Wires/Rods for Turnouts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
They do look the part for sure if manual  points are the set up then  you can create your own signal box the cost very similar if not less than using motors no  wiring &  interactive as the prototype   ;)

Offline Oldman

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Grumpy old git who hates sport
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
I have one of these waiting to be built.
http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/leverframe.htm
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:29 AM »
I'm a cheapskate. I run the wires to the back of the microlayouts and then out a tiny bit, put a 90 turn on it and then stick a little plastic blob on the end so it can't poke anyone.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
I'm a cheapskate. I run the wires to the back of the microlayouts and then out a tiny bit, put a 90 turn on it and then stick a little plastic blob on the end so it can't poke anyone.

You and me both Alan  :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Calnefoxile

• N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:02:18 PM »
You could always look at Mercontrol, follow this link http://www.lytchettmanor.co.uk/mercontrol.html

I've just started to have a go with it on Cedarville, but without the levers.

Reagards

Neal

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:02 PM »
All my 27 point controls terminate in a wire sticking out at the front of the layout.I did start to make a frame with levers in but I've basically decided to just have a push pull system with a 
Knob of some sort on the end.
Underneath my layout is a spaghetti of cycle rear brake cables.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 03:41:01 PM »
Another way of control  &  the control  knob is here with the Bullfrog  from  fast  tracks 

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/BullFrog-Control-Rod-Kit-18in-p/bf-0003.htm

My control  rods are from  R/C  aircraft snakes at my local  model  shop same  ideas as fast tracks but a lot more economical  :)

(Slec  Yellow  1000mm (39") Snake Solid Inner Set Ref: SL026-R ) in the link  below

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Snakes.html

At 2.26  each  they are good value at 39''   long  in  certain  cases you can get two points per rod from them the  fittings on the ends unscrew & are useless  to me i  put thm on  ebay & got some money back  from  around a dozen of them  ;)

Being plastic they wont rust if your layout  is  open to any damp  atmosphere, to attach  them  to the underside of the layout boards you can buy saddle clamps of an appropriate size  from the  model  shop   while your there 

http://www.slecuk.com/catalogue/Saddle-Clamps.html

Drop  of  epoxy glue &   they're in place  job done  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:54:01 PM by upnick »

Offline cudders

• N Gauge Society Number: 21730
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 06:49:08 PM »
I'm a tight was too..

Plastic tubes and brass wire..held under the baseboard with gaffer tape.. just layed out out my goods yard with them. Does the trick fine.

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »
I'm a tight was too..

Plastic tubes and brass wire..held under the baseboard with gaffer tape.. just layed out out my goods yard with them. Does the trick fine.

Cudders

Not so much the tight wad part for me cudders  why complicate things with  point  motors wiring &  Team  digital SM84   to  operate 8 points on DCC    not only the cost but remembering all those addresses for each point gives me headache thinking about it i   had two of them set up  so  16  to  sort  out.   

Other side of the coin  once installed the  plastic rods need no  maintanance  &  are operated easily  from the front edge of the board,  the money from  the motors &   SM84's  has gone towards other things  :bounce:

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:53:04 PM »
I stopped using wire and tube mechanism to the edge of my layout because I used to brush up against the levers all the time.

These days I use 3/4 inch of tube with 1 1/2 inches of wire and top install them beside the points, I hold them in place by filing the blue off the top of a couple of track nails .tacking one each side of the brass tube and soldering them together across the top of the tube, the wire can then be trimmed shorter, works 100% for me, had 13 sets of points working in less than one and a half hours.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 11:41:45 PM »
I stopped using wire and tube mechanism to the edge of my layout because I used to brush up against the levers all the time.

Same problem that's why I have been looking at the Humpyard stuff. Also like the idea that you dont have to have "X" no of levers in a prebuilt frame.

Have done some checking and they cost pretty much the same as the Mercontrol after P&P

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:01 AM »
I'm using more than a dozen Mer control levers and I concur with the snagging it can be a pain I prefer to turn and throw a lever feels right,,,
Charlie.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »
 :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Don't bother dealing with this product as after several emails I am disappointed to say - "yet another rip off" on charges.

The guy wants to charge 12% extra for anyone using Paypal or Western Union to cover fees (these are the only payment he accepts other than cash). Originally he was going to charge 20% until I queried it.
This meant my potential order carried an extra 26 in charges effectively an extra 1 per unit. With P&P quoted at 30 as well the becomes unrealistic. When will people learn  :hmmm:

Will now be looking at the Metcontrol I think.

Offline Fratton

• N Gauge Society Number: 23974
  • 2mm Association Number: 4766
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:52:23 AM »
I purchased my Mer control from antics if that helps,,,
Charlie.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00