!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: NOISY TRACK  (Read 1903 times)

Offline DAVE1562

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23011
  • GWR MODELLER
    • Awards
NOISY TRACK
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
Hi all......bit of advice required i am using 9 mm mdf as a baseboard and covered it in 2 mm cork, im at a stage where im fixing track to board,i have tacked it in odd places with pva and will permanantly fix by ballasting.i have noticed that it has become noisy over these positions and where the wires are fitted to points/frogs through the board.will this cure itself when i ballast or is there something i could try or am i missing something?

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: NOISY TRACK
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:20:34 AM »
Hi Dave and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not an expert on this but did a Google search and found this link that may be useful (the advice is for OO but may apply to N)

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/c-noise/index.htm
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
Very informative, Pengy. Thanks for posting :thumbsup:
It'll be interesting to hear the views of others.
For example, I am using 1.5mm commercial grade rubber on 9mm sundeala and it really helps deaden track noise, not least as sundeala absorbs sound slightly more than MDF

Offline macwales

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:03:10 PM »
Hi

I used a cork laid on chipboard at first but the noise was terrible and soon changed to 9mm Sundeala on chipboard plus cork. However this too created quite a bit of noise in the house and other inhabitants constantly objected.

A friend had used Peco track undelay so I changed to that.

First I put down chipboard that is braced and well supported. I then mark out the track plan and follow this with 9mm Sundeala. Country track sections are thin strips and curves of Sundeala to make embankments easier to construct and yards, sidings and stations have large flat pieces cut to shape. The track is then drilled and pinned to the Sundeala through the Peco ballast and I like the look of this and it saves all the tedium of ballasting.

Trains run on the tracks with hardly any noise except on points. I have found that points can rise up in the middle using the Peco foam ballast strips but you can get special point underlays to minimise this.

There are other makes of foam ballast.

Cheers

Mac

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
The way to go is dump  the track  pins in the metal recycling bin & use a  foam  underlay (not Peco as it has a reputation for disintigrating over time)  glued down with Latex glue then  glue the track to the underlay, use a diluted latex  glue on the ballasting this cuts noise dramatically &  the latex  provides  two layers  of adhesive for the track  to have some flex thus eliminating the noise.   

Offline DAVE1562

• N Gauge Society Number: 23011
  • GWR MODELLER
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »
Hi all...just been experimenting, i have tried some 3 mm depron left over from my rc days under the track and it has made a noticeable  difference has anyone tried this?  it is available in 2-3-4 6 and 9mm thicknesses and could work well with copydex.

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
Hi all...just been experimenting, i have tried some 3 mm depron left over from my rc days under the track and it has made a noticeable  difference has anyone tried this?  it is available in 2-3-4 6 and 9mm thicknesses and could work well with copydex.

If it's a closed cell foam type of sheeting Dave it should be ok with Copydex / latex glue

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:18 PM »
thread resurrection alert!

I have track on sundeala board, not yet ballasted, so noise issues there lie over the horizon.

I also have track on foam board stuff cut out for rock cutting type scenery.  I have ballasted a small section of this and it gives a nice attractive change in the sound (as in, much more noise!).

I'm a bit wary of ballasting any more in case it all gets too much.

any tips?  My layout is here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=2286.45

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 09:48:38 PM »
Have you used any sort of track underlay such as cork on either the sundeala or the foam board? I suspect, if not, the noise is just resounding through the foam board :hmmm:

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:50:51 PM »
I've nothing under the track on the foam section - there is cork on the sundeala.
Maybe I need a secret rubber crumb ballast?

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal