!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Point motors  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Alycidon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Point motors
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
I am envisaging using Peco top mount point motors on my hidden fiddle yard.  It will be easier to dismantle a bit of scenary rather that get under the board.

Can I use Peco PL11?,  track is 55 finescale Peco.  Peco site says HO/OO but notning about N.   My local model shop has no idea at all.

Thanks
A   

Offline Bigric

• N Gauge Society Number: 15491
    • Awards
Re: Point motors
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
Up to now , I have used Peco PL10 point motors exclusively on my (still unfinished) shed marathon , the W ones actually as I am DCC . These have worked very well for me so far , both below & surface mounted using the little plastic mounting plate thingies . About 6 months ago , I bought a PL11 & did a kind of trial thing with code 55 points - success was a bit varied/hit & miss , and I suspected that it would work with a bit of packing/furtling etc......BUT that was then , and I've not returned to that particular little project since ! HOWEVER , when I Googled Peco Pl 11 just now , I did notice that someone had stuck a short video on the very same topic on there - he was successfully using PL11s with code 55 points & included furtling instructions !!! Cheers , Ric

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »
I've used them quite successfully, see here for a little mod you have to do to make the throw long enough to operate the point successfully http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=979.  If you don't trim them then the throw is off centre and sometimes sticks.  Its the blue circled pieces (the distance setting tabs) that need shortening by 1 to 2 mm to allow the motor to operate properly.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline steam-driven boy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16277
  • 2mm Association Number: 4524
  • Hey! I'm just this guy, y'know?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »
Hi,
Just to add to the very helpful replies, here's EP! - Peco PL-11 with N gauge / Spur N point / turnout test  a YouTube video I've kept the shotcut for, it may be the one described.
There was also an article in the N Gauge Journal (6/11 Nov-Dec) perhaps unhelpfully entitled 'Turnouts Over Tunnels' which covers the use of PL-11s, either directly mounted or using Mercontrol type linkages.
With the sqeezing in of my storage loops it came as comforting reading - as does whiteswan's contribution  :thumbsup:

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...
Solsbury Hill Layout: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6978.0

Offline spurno

• N Gauge Society Number: 21170
  • a model railway is for life not just for christmas
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »
I am envisaging using Peco top mount point motors on my hidden fiddle yard.  It will be easier to dismantle a bit of scenary rather that get under the board.

Can I use Peco PL11?,  track is 55 finescale Peco.  Peco site says HO/OO but notning about N.   My local model shop has no idea at all.

Thanks
A
hi Alycydon

i use pl-11 with my code 55 track with no problem.i also use woodland scenics trackbed which does make the point motor too high.the way i got round this was to remove the lip on the base and then fit to the motor. this turned out to be the perfect height.i also remove the distance lugs for less visual impact and silicone to the baseboard.
Born beside the mighty GWR.

Regards

alan

Offline Alycidon

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »
Thanks lads, thats an excellent reply.

A

Offline georgehgv

• Geominster Mainline & Heritage Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »
Can anyone confirm that the pl11 Peco fits the Setrack ST5 and ST6 points and do they clip they clip to the points?

Thanks
A new layout Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line has been created after moving home and not being able to accomodate the old layout.

This then is my third version which is vastly improved from previous efforts.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled.

Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:29:58 PM »
They work with N gauge Setrack points but don't clip directly
as the lugs don't match the spacing between the sleepers so
some trimming required. They clip directly to 00 points.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:36:52 PM by Agrippa, Reason: posted before message finished »
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline carpy

• N Gauge Society Number: 17728
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:37 AM »
i have had no trouble using set track or any of the code 80 points because i found by experiment that if you drill a tiny hole up through the bar on the point and glue in a short piece of wire the point motor bar cannot jump up and off the point   i use pl11 as are so easy. i hope you know what i am sayincarpyg and it makes scence        carpy

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »
Regarding using PL 11 point motors with n gauge points I emailed Peco and this was their reply:

"PL11 can be used with N gauge points but you will need to raise the points by approx 2mm to ensure the tiebar connects to the PL11 drivebar."

Conversely if possible you could lower the point motor by 2mm.

I found setting up a bit of a fiddle and the down side apart from cost is that there is no provision to mount a switch for frog polarity or for a mimic board.

Geoff

Offline Wingman mothergoose

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
I've used PL-11's on Sherwood Central with no problems, I did have to lower them to make them work properly though.
I had to use them on Whetstone as I didn't want to lift all the track and retrofit under board motors. They're quite obtrusive, but I suppose they could be painted ballast colour to hide them a little bit?
I've had to cut holes in the cork to fit them, and I need to fill the gaps with ballast but I'm worried that when it comes to glueing the ballast that the glue will get inside the point motors and gum them up....

Chris

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal