Bachish stanier class 4 tank

Started by Bigmac, Yesterday at 07:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nabber, Thorpe Parva and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bigmac

do/did bach/farish produce a Stanier 2-6-4 tank loco ? I thought i had one--but cant find it. I know they did the Fairburn--and the standard 80*** type--ive got those.

Or did i imagine it?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

chrism

Quote from: Bigmac on Yesterday at 07:44:36 PMdo/did bach/farish produce a Stanier 2-6-4 tank loco ? I thought i had one--but cant find it. I know they did the Fairburn--and the standard 80*** type--ive got those.

Or did i imagine it?

I don't think they do/did. There were a few whitemetal kits to create one using a Poole Black 5 chassis - one of which had the parts/instructions for making it as either a Stanier or a Fairburn.

Bigmac

Quote from: chrism on Yesterday at 08:16:07 PM
Quote from: Bigmac on Yesterday at 07:44:36 PMdo/did bach/farish produce a Stanier 2-6-4 tank loco ? I thought i had one--but cant find it. I know they did the Fairburn--and the standard 80*** type--ive got those.

Or did i imagine it?

I don't think they do/did. There were a few whitemetal kits to create one using a Poole Black 5 chassis - one of which had the parts/instructions for making it as either a Stanier or a Fairburn.

thanks--it saves me searching any more.  I do have the kit built version--and the fowler. Both heavyweight bruisers.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

martyn

There was a Phil Kerr kit, later marketed by Foxhunter, but not available RTR as far as I know.

See tne Foxhunter kit thread on the Forum.

Martyn

icairns

Quote from: martyn on Yesterday at 08:23:33 PMThere was a Phil Kerr kit, later marketed by Foxhunter, but not available RTR as far as I know.
See the Foxhunter kit thread on the Forum.
Martyn

@martyn is correct about Phil Kerr's kit being marketed by Foxhunter.

It is actually an interesting (but obscure) part of British N gauge history.

The masters for a Stanier 2-6-4T loco kit were produced and owned by the late Phil Kerr but he let Adrian Jarvis sell kits under the Foxhunter name.  Only 18 kits were sold by Foxhunter.  Phil Kerr then sold the masters to Knightwing. 

Phil apparently also sold the kits under his own brand (P.K.).   Shown below is a model with a P.K. box.  The box clearly states "Loco Body Kit" and that the chassis is not included. 

Photo courtesy of @Fredastaire.

Now here is the interesting bit.  I found the photos below in my files .  They show what appears to be two P.K. models of the Stanier tank marked "Ready-to-Run.  Note how the words "not included" (referring to the chassis) have been blanked out in the bottom photo. 




Does this mean that Phill Kerr actually batch-built a few Stanier tanks himself, painted, lined, and numbered them and then fitted them with a Graham Farish Std. 4MT 2-6-4 chassis and sold them as RTR? 

As can be seen from the bottom photo, it looks like at some point, Phil just stuck a P.K. label on a Graham Farish box.  Maybe he just ran out of his own boxes?

Phil Kerr also produced a kit for a Fairburn 4MT 2-6-4T loco that was sold to N Gauge Lines and then to Foxhunter. 

Any additional information about these uncommon kits would be much appreciated.

Ian


Wrinkly1

Skytrex produced a whole body kit of a Stanier 2-6-4 tank in the 1980s/1990s. It used the Farish Black 5 chassis and was a simple body replacement and add a bogie. I bought a Fairburn version which was a heavy lump of metal and would pull anything. In hindsight I wish I'd bought the Stanier version as, of course, the Fairburn has been superseded by the Farish R-T-R model.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £12.34
Below Goal: £87.66
Site Currency: GBP
 12%
October Donations