!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wheel tapper and single chimney A4 Pacific  (Read 603 times)

Offline WilliamPorter

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Wheel tapper and single chimney A4 Pacific
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
Hi there, I am reasonably new to this great hobby after I inherited a layout from my grandfather that has had all the track removed and has been cut in half to be left in a loft for 20 years.

Anyway what I came to say is that I am planning to make the scene from Oh Mr Porter at the start where he is tapping the wheels at the christening of The Silver Link and soaks everyone by getting his hammer caught in the cable of the water tower.
I have been looking around at what I need and I am going to repaint a second hand Graham Farish A4 Pacific and the things that I cant seem to find is a model of a wheel tapper and a single chimney for an A4 Pacific. I am aware that Dapol make a loco with a single chimney however I am working on a limited budget and cant afford to buy a brand new loco just to repaint.

If anyone could help me with where to find these things it would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jake

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Wheel tapper and single chimney A4 Pacific
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »
Scenecraft has a wheel tapper or platelayer or somesuch with big hammer down at ground level. Actually if you repainted him to look posh he'd probably do as a croquet player too.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline WilliamPorter

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
Thanks for that, I will have to order one.

Cheers, Jake

Offline AndyGif

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14644
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
A wheel tapping hammerhead is tiny, probably same size as normal claw hammer or smaller. Belt a wheel with a  6lb or up sledge and it probably go clunk rather than ting!

Offline WilliamPorter

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:21:42 PM »
Thanks for the posts, I have just realized that i already have the scenecraft kit. I have decided that what I will use is not the man swinging the hammer but the man with his hammer by his side drinking from a can. What I plan to do is take the hammer from by his side and glue it to the can so it is hanging over his shoulder as it is in the part of the film where it gets caught in the chain of the water tower. If you haven't seen Oh Mr Porter I really do recommend it as it is one of the best films of all time 

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00
Below Goal: £26.00
Site Currency: GBP
74% 
October Donations

Advertise Here