!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 50  (Read 31537 times)

railsquid and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 50
« Reply #300 on: September 12, 2019, 06:28:37 AM »
Thats a decent shout. What a difference variations in detail can make. Intercity's idea maybe right thinking about it, its the clear shot of the roof with the large grill so if thats at one end thats the number one end and the need for a clear photo when modelling a particular loco

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: September 12, 2019, 06:33:30 AM »
Well it’s been renumbered (with correct variations)... but yes gold star for getting the NSE flashes in the headcode box in the right place. I must admit when I saw the standard model I thought they looked too high, but to be fair to Dapol they were correct for 040.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #302 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »
Hi ,
Having had the tiniest involvement in the 50 - holding end of tape measures and pouring over pictures the  fleet is as one engineer said  50 fleets with one loco in each !  Depots seemed to take  great care in weekend embellishments and photographs are great but equally a minefield of traps and pitfalls.  As  the class 22 showed produce a model and watch several books appear to confound and muddy already dirty waters ! The 50 may have more books already but I am sure more will come to add to the fun of modeller and manufacturer...  looking forward to seeing more at TINGS.   

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: September 12, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
50040 has become 50031!

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: September 12, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
The repositioned NSE flash and addition of numbers between the lights in the route headcode number box?

The opposite way around - these were on the Dapol original!

As has been correctly surmised, I have renumbered one of the 50s from 50040 "Leviathan" (which should be "Centurion" by the time that it had NSE flashes, but that is a project for another day) to 50031 "Hood", a locomotive that I recall seeing frequently in the Thames valley area when I was a nipper. This includes removing the number and NSE flash from the headcode box and adding a new NSE flash in a lower position.

Transfers by Railtec, etched nameplate (and crest) by Fox.

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: September 12, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
Nice surprise from Postie this morning was 50007 from the Dapol club collection.  Off for a test purr on the office layout later but first impressions over the unpainted shells is that it does what it says - it looks  like a 50 ! I am sure I have some etched plates to find - but that is for after TINGS.
hopefully other models DCC and 50 fund collection models soon in grubby mits, quite broke now ....
Robert   

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: September 12, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
Nice surprise from Postie this morning was 50007 from the Dapol club collection.  Off for a test purr on the office layout later but first impressions over the unpainted shells is that it does what it says - it looks  like a 50 ! I am sure I have some etched plates to find - but that is for after TINGS.
hopefully other models DCC and 50 fund collection models soon in grubby mits, quite broke now ....
Robert   

Hello all

The above post reminded me: Anybody who received an e-mail from DCC Supplies advising that their model of 50015 was available and giving the option of collection at TINGS....

Be aware that if (like me) you responded to Fiona directly via e-mail asking to have a model waiting for them at TINGS, some messages have apparently not made it back to her.

I spoke to her on the phone yesterday (a pleasure) and she then updated her list to ensure mine would be there. At the risk of inundating her with phone calls, it might be worth checking to avoid disappointment.

Skyline2uk   

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: September 12, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »
Done a bit of work on mine. Very light weathering, dominos added, name added, double arrow removed.

As delivered

Now

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #308 on: September 12, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
Absolutely superb. Thank you for sharing the photos

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: September 12, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
I have pushed the body properly onto the chassis since the above photos were taken.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: September 12, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
I have pushed the body properly onto the chassis since the above photos were taken.

Was too busy admiring your improvements to notice that. :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Basil

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »
The above post reminded me: Anybody who received an e-mail from DCC Supplies advising that their model of 50015 was available and giving the option of collection at TINGS....

Be aware that if (like me) you responded to Fiona directly via e-mail asking to have a model waiting for them at TINGS, some messages have apparently not made it back to her.

I spoke to her on the phone yesterday (a pleasure) and she then updated her list to ensure mine would be there. At the risk of inundating her with phone calls, it might be worth checking to avoid disappointment.

Just to clarify: DCC Supplies will have stock of the model at TINGS. Both DC and DCC fitted (DCC sound will be a couple of weeks). They will have all models reserved for collection at the show and shall also have a few spare to fulfill those who wish to change from shipment to collection from the show (and which have not already shipped).
If you wish to collect, please bring a copy of your order to speed things up! If you've not pre-ordered then there are still a few left.

Offline jamespetts

• Kittens and cake
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: September 13, 2019, 01:17:13 AM »
Some photographs of 50031 running at the Model Railway Club this evening:

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

N gauge class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

Having now had a chance to run these properly, they do run very nicely, and run at slow speed well straight out of the box, as advertised.

For some reason, 50037 (the NSE livery varieat) was slightly louder in running than the others, but this was not noticeable against the noise of the club house (albeit I could hear it at home with a basic DC controller and a small piece of test track). It still ran smoothly, though.

As may be observed, I have fitted my class 50 with Dapol Easifit couplings with a short shank. I had a few in stock, but I am now running low. I find that these are out of stock everywhere (apart from the less economical single packs), albeit they are marked as being on order.

Does anyone have any ideas when it is likely that these items will be back in stock?

In any event, this is evidently an excellent and very high quality model that is just right for my layout. The only thing that I have not tried yet is DCC fitting - I shall be interested to find out how a stay alive unit and capacitors fits into this.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: September 13, 2019, 07:47:28 AM »
With a speaker void you should be able to fit a stay alive really easily.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: September 13, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
As may be observed, I have fitted my class 50 with Dapol Easifit couplings with a short shank. I had a few in stock, but I am now running low. I find that these are out of stock everywhere (apart from the less economical single packs), albeit they are marked as being on order.

Does anyone have any ideas when it is likely that these items will be back in stock?

If you can put up with 5x short plus 5x long a simple web search found 3 online retailers with stock. Search for NEMCOUP.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything