!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 50  (Read 48288 times)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol class 50
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
ok great!

not sure if it's worth pre-ordering. often the prices are cheaper a few weeks after the loco is released than they are when pre-ordered.  there isn't much incentive to pre order really.  I would like one in large logo and one in nse livery.

tim

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Re: Dapol class 50
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »
Hi , Your choice but forums filled with ebay touretts and other angst when stuff not available having sold out and with Hornby and Bachamann increasing prices plus Hattons holding pre order prices until Saturday then you do have the chance of chasing your tail. Given the dearth of modern versions as S/H with market with earlier versions having reduced prices then the few weeks reductions may not be around for you..
happy hunting of course
Robert   

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 50
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 05:34:14 PM »
Hattons tell me that this is now due between July and Sept of 2015.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline mark100

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
Hattons tell me that this is now due between July and Sept of 2015.
We have one on order for our sons Xmas Present. That's next year sorted already  :beers:
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

Offline STEVE44

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26049
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
Hi,
    When I went to the Warley show, Dapol said they were waiting for tooling more like its going to be 2016.
Steve44

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
Hi gang ,
Some CAD work done recently in liasion with the 50s on SVR to fine tune earlier work so some progress towards tool room. Hopefully livery work on its way as well great fun pouring over images sorting details that have evaded past efforts.

so much of the face shape is subjective that no model has yet caught everything, the Lima one in 00 for its time was not bad but let down by bogies and windscreen angles. The Hornby model has issues on face as well - also rides high the 4mm guru at work tells me. the Farish one has some vague side details but is otherwise not bad but windscreens lack something and the mu details on front need beefing up and not just printed on.  My 3mm kit based on work by Colin of MTK fame has much to offer and its cab front castings are lovely but have due to use of alot of white metal shrunk when cooling so alot of filler. Undoubtably the best model to date in N is the CJM one but some doubt windscreen rake. The O gauge JLRT class 50 is very good and recently shown in model rail express. So lets hope the Dapol one matches the CJM one plus lights/dcc ready/fitted.
cheers
Robert       

Offline talisman56

• N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
The lead times on things nowadays are getting ridiculous - the OP in this thread is dated July 18, 2012; if they aren't going to be able to supply until 2016 that's 4 years in gestation...
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline Buzzard

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 08:17:11 AM »
The lead times on things nowadays are getting ridiculous - the OP in this thread is dated July 18, 2012; if they aren't going to be able to supply until 2016 that's 4 years in gestation...

You could almost get two baby elephants in that time :D

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 09:04:27 AM »
Dapol seem to be redoing everything that was nearly ready at the time Dave Jones left. The Bulleid Pacifics, Schools, 50s and others were apparently all on the point of being ready for tooling and then got pulled.

Given Dave's attention to detail (look at the 52 and 22 development threads on RMWeb), I find it hard to believe there were major deficiencies. Since then the only new releases from Dapol have been the O gauge models like the wagons which seem to have had "issues" (to say the least). :(

I just hope that the delays mean we do not end up with curates eggs like the O Gauge milk tanker.  :-\
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Buzzard

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:16 AM »
Dapol seem to be redoing everything that was nearly ready at the time Dave Jones left. The Bulleid Pacifics, Schools, 50s and others were apparently all on the point of being ready for tooling and then got pulled.

Given Dave's attention to detail (look at the 52 and 22 development threads on RMWeb), I find it hard to believe there were major deficiencies.

A bit of politics perhaps e.g. you think you're good but we can do better.

Nigel

Offline talisman56

• N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
Since then the only new releases from Dapol have been the O gauge models like the wagons which seem to have had "issues" (to say the least). :(

I just hope that the delays mean we do not end up with curates eggs like the O Gauge milk tanker.  :-\

The recent Dapol 'O' Gauge releases have received a lot of approbium from a member on RMWeb called 'adrianbs' (I'll leave the reader to decide what the two letters at the end of his username mean). Mostly detail errors (and mainly to do with number and positioning of rivets - a true 'rivet-counter'), but it's the attitude that goes with the posts that have been rubbing people the wrong way...
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
A bit of politics perhaps e.g. you think you're good but we can do better.
Possibly true. Without knowing why Dave left Dapol, we are not likely to get a good answer.

The recent Dapol 'O' Gauge releases have received a lot of approbium from a member on RMWeb called 'adrianbs' (I'll leave the reader to decide what the two letters at the end of his username mean). Mostly detail errors (and mainly to do with number and positioning of rivets - a true 'rivet-counter'), but it's the attitude that goes with the posts that have been rubbing people the wrong way...

True, his attitude has not made him many friends. However some of the issues he has pointed out are more than just rivets though. The nonsensical branding on the milk-tankers that Dapol addressed by simply painting them out and missing the branding entirely was a basic error that should have been spotted.

The decoration errors have crept into N gauge as well. The recent Pannier releases have been all over the shop with some marked with red route discs (which would upt them in same weight category as a Castle  :goggleeyes: ). On the flip side, all the GWR liveried versions have incorrectly carried yellow discs when they should have been blue. It was BR who re-categorised the Panniers to yellow in 1950.

Also the latest batch of GWR auto-coaches have had something go wrong with chocolate. After being consistent for years, it has suddenly become the colour of milky coffee. Also the weathered Maroon Western that was missing its yellow warning panel. I am not saying that Dapol never made decoration errors prior to Dave's departure but there certainly has been a real crop of clangers in the last 12-18 months. :(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:00:12 PM by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
The first Dapol 14xx was 1466 in lined green, when in fact 1466 was bought from BR by the GWS still wearing the early crest black it had worn since the grouping, and its associated auto coach was of a diagram that was never lined maroon, and which mistake has been repeated in the re releases.
and lately the Fruit D in so called BR maroon which looks more like GW freight stock brown. It annoys me that I am probably not the only person who has taken the time to inform Dapol of possible errors in either engineering or livery mistakes, only to be totally ignored by them.

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:10:12 PM by Hailstone »

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »

True, his attitude has not made him many friends. However some of the issues he has pointed out are more than just rivets though. The nonsensical branding on the milk-tankers that Dapol addressed by simply painting them out and missing the branding entirely was a basic error that should have been spotted.

The RMWeb thread on the Dapol O-gauge milk tanks is an interesting one to be sure. AdrianBS makes some valid points, and sometimes it is strange how obvious errors crop up when manufacturers are making what should be pretty straightforward models.

On the other hand, AdrianBS appears to be a P4 modeller of some sort. That made me think immediately of this very funny video, "Hitler on Model Railways", and my apologies to those who have seen it already.

One experienced modeller I know comments that P4 modellers would sooner have no model than an inaccurate one. So the fact Dapol are producing inexpensive, reasonably accurate ready-to-run O-gauge stuff isn't enough.

Shifting this to N-gauge, yes, it boggles the mind how the maroon 'Western Enterprise' sans yellow ends saw the light of day, but at the same time the basic model is extremely good, better than any N-gauge 'Western' we've ever had. Ditto the Dapol pannier tank, and frankly, that the Dapol 14xx works at all is a minor miracle given its tiny size.

Issues with incorrect livery bother me much less now that I'm getting more confident about painting, renumbering and weathering my models, and I'd encourage others to tweak their models if they really find a route indicator disc or whatever really annoying!

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »
Hi Folks,

I think we need to keep sense of proportion re. Dapol and Dave.  Dapol was not perfect when Dave worked for them.  Also "Saint Dave" is yet to release a model under his DJM company to contrast/compare.

No offence to Dapol or Dave is intended just trying to make a point.  Indeed I wish Dapol and DJM every success for the future.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00