!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol "Robin Hood"  (Read 3867 times)

Offline Tony

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol "Robin Hood"
« on: May 23, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have recently taken delivery of a Dapol "Robin Hood" loco. It looks really impressive and the detail is superb. However, the tender gets very hot after approx 45 minutes of moderate running even without a load. Dapol have advised me to oil the worm although I'm unsure as to how this will prevent the tender getting hot as the worm is located within the boiler shell. Anyway, I will do as they suggest !

I will let you all know how I get get on.

Regards

Tony

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Dapol "Robin Hood"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »
The heat produced by the motor depends how much work it has to do, so if the locomotive is stiff it will have to work hard to drive the mechanism and the heat will appear in the motor even if the gear in the loco is what is stiff. Most model locos are shipped with thick grease on the gears which avoids damage in transit and which a spot of daywat or similar light oil will dissolve.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
Keep us posted on this one. One of my Peco colletts ran very hot. It was a couple of years old and had not previously exhibited any problems.  Peco identified this as a motor failure and replaced it. They did this free of charge despite the age of the loco.
Elmo

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
What controller are you using? If it's of the feedback type, such as Hornby's HM2000, this could be the cause of the overheating problem.
I use an old Graham Farish AGW controller when running my DC locos.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
Dapol motors run hotter than Farish in my experience. However, they shouldn't run too hot (mildly warm to touch of side of tender) - it's probably worth trying to measure the current consumption. If it's high then there's likely something not right with the motor - oiling the worm will help, but it won't drop the current consumption that much.

The heat dumped is a power so also squares with the current draw - hence low current draw is desirable. For comparison with 8 coaches on my new Robin Hood runs on 90milliamps.

I also did a more detailed post on another forum of some of the adjustments I needed to make to get it running better:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20828-dapol-britannia/page__view__findpost__p__403968

It should be noted that in this case oiling the worm made no difference to the current consumption. You should try it, but I'd be surprised if it makes much difference.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:47:29 AM »
I decided to try a Dapol Brit again as a friend of mine was selling one. I had no luck in the past so I will see how this one does. The advice about removing the keeper place was excellent Al - great to see that the boiler doesn't have to be removed. I found my last Brit impossible to dismantle. My last one had major problems and had to be sent back. Really hoping this one will work out ok.  :-\

Offline Tony

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
Hi everyone,

Have recently returned from holiday and gave my recently purchased "Robin Hood" its second outing. I mentioned in a previous message that it was running very hot (I use a Bachmann controller). Unfortunately, it now refused to more in either direction so it has this morning been posted back to the retailer. It's a shame that I'm experiencing this problem because it's a superb looking model notwithstanding the colour of the wheels !

I spent 1/2 an hour at the weekend replacing the front bogie on my 9F with a new bogie and fiddly little spring (lots of cursing)  in an effort to prevent the bogie riding too high. In recent months I have spent nearly two hundred pounds on two Dapol locomotives that have required attention. Quite frankly, I'm not impressed: they should exercise proper quality control to ensure that these problems don't arise. Other people appear to have suffered similar problems ! 

Tony 

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
I think its pretty sad that Dapol could not perfect the 9F right from the word go, I say this because the Minitrix 9Fs are around 20+ years old, they gave virtually no trouble at all and there are still lots of them being used today and still doing a sterling job.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:58:10 AM »
The Minitrix 9fs are even older than that. I remember owning my first one in the early 80s and they weren't new out then. Amazing locos. I sent one of mine to be pro weathered at Grimy Times and it looks great. Makes a big difference.

My new Dapol Brit is behaving well so far. My previous one overheated and cut out. Seems like a common problem. My Dapol 9f is ok, but I had a few fail on me previously.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here