!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 0-6-0 pannier tank  (Read 33743 times)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 0-6-0 pannier tank
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »
There are still the odd one from the first batch knocking about (not many though!) so I finally obtained one.

Out of the box running wasn't great - sticky at low speed. After an hour of running in (full speed) it's transformed.

The motor performance seemed a bit odd during this - drawing up to 100mA (a lot for the small cans used in these), for a bit then slowing stuttering a bit, before it seemed to clear itself and settle to running on <50mA (Better!), and notably faster.

Now the slow speed and crawl performance is also much much better, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd hope the motor becomes available as a spare in due course - I think it's the same dimensions as the original Dapol can, and if so it's a perfect replacement for those in the 14xxs and Ivatts, and would likely transform their performance also.

A few detail bits need sorted out - the standard painting wheel rims and crank pins, painting out the spurious number on the rear buffer beam and painting the prominant DCC planking plug in the cab black to obscure it.

Overall happy so far!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
Now the slow speed and crawl performance is also much much better, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'd hope the motor becomes available as a spare in due course - I think it's the same dimensions as the original Dapol can, and if so it's a perfect replacement for those in the 14xxs and Ivatts, and would likely transform their performance also.
That is an interesting idea. I keeping that Dapol will release some of their older tank engines with newer motors, particularly the M7.

I would be very happy to do a transplant though if a better motor is available.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline lionwing

• If you have nothing nice to say then keep quiet!
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
Not a happy bunny today!

Having spent the last few days adding scenery to my layout (Newdale - under-construction) I gave the track a  good clean last night and prepared for some running time with my Dapol 0-6-0 Pannier.  It ran quite rough for a few minutes and didn't seem in good health at all.  A short time after it quit altogether!

I rigged up a short section of track just to check I had no wiring issues on the layout and still nothing.  No movement and no sign of life -  :(.

I am positive that the controller is fine and is supplying power to the track.  It is a Gaugemaster - the power light comes and I struggle to see what could go wrong with it.  Unfortunately I have no other loco to test on the track to rule out controller issues completely!

The Pannier tank has never been completely smooth since new so again my thoughts process concludes it has given up!

A phone call to Dapol will be made this morning!
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Offline Crackerbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
Not a happy bunny today!

Having spent the last few days adding scenery to my layout (Newdale - under-construction) I gave the track a  good clean last night and prepared for some running time with my Dapol 0-6-0 Pannier.  It ran quite rough for a few minutes and didn't seem in good health at all.  A short time after it quit altogether!

I rigged up a short section of track just to check I had no wiring issues on the layout and still nothing.  No movement and no sign of life -  :(.

I am positive that the controller is fine and is supplying power to the track.  It is a Gaugemaster - the power light comes and I struggle to see what could go wrong with it.  Unfortunately I have no other loco to test on the track to rule out controller issues completely!

The Pannier tank has never been completely smooth since new so again my thoughts process concludes it has given up!

A phone call to Dapol will be made this morning!

Hi
Sorry to hear your problems with the 0-6-0 pannier, however you can check your controller operation quite easily and inexpensively without another loco.  I assume you do not have a multimeter available to test your outputs - here is a simple alternative - solder two wires to a 12v bulb and hold the ends to each side of your track - turn up the speed control and if all is OK then the light should increase in intensity.  The light bulb test is also useful to find dead areas in and around your layout.
Hope you get your loco running well soon
Regards
Bill

Offline d-a-n

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

Although I can't help on the fixing the loco side, I work in Oldham and could bring a test loco to you after work. Please message me if you think this would help!

Offline lionwing

• If you have nothing nice to say then keep quiet!
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • MySpace
    • PhotoBucket
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
Just got the Pannier back from DCC supplies.

All fixed under warranty.  It was a dodgy motor!

Now runs like a dream -   :claphappy:
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
Glad you have it sorted :thumbsup:

Online silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
I'm still wondering when the LT pannier will make an appearance, I asked the same question on Dapol's Facebook page and got no response.   ???  I would like to find out so I know whether I can order another loco instead.

Perhaps they won't do it all as Farish seem to be doing one as well, it's a pity because Dapol's panniers have much better detail.

Regards

Veronica.

Offline GeeBee

• N Gauge Society Number: 14888
  • Hi from Grahams world of the terminally bewildered
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
 :hellosign:           I have just taken delivery of the Dapol London underground Pannier Tank I will have to rig up a test track as my layout is residing in the loft in several pieces waiting for a cool enough day to try to re assemble it, will let you know haw it runs later this week
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:28:20 PM by GeeBee, Reason: emoticon not working »

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:05 PM »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards

Offline 5944

• N Gauge Society Number: 9265
    • Twitter
    • My Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
I bought a LT one (L94, first batch I assume) at TINGS in September, and it runs reasonably well, a very slight wobble on curves but hardly noticable on straights. Then at the Basingstoke show yesterday, after much umming and ahhing, I decided to get another pannier rather than a Farish Jinty. 3702 in black this time. Runs better than the LT one, no wobbles, works well at low speed too, so fingers crossed it'll behave itself!

The only slight flaw is it has the number in black on the rear bufferbeam. 30 seconds with a sharp knife has removed most of it, and weathering will hide the rest, but an odd thing for Dapol to add in the first place.

I'll give it a couple of hours running in, make sure there's nothing wrong with it, then weather it and fit DG couplings. I can feel a micro layout coming on....!

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:05 PM »
Just a quick question. Does anyone know if the 57xx were autofitted?  Been thinking of getting one in BR black and like the thought  of running it with an auto coach.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »
No, none of the 57XXs were auto-fitted; however, they did sometimes work with autocoaches but had to run round the coach at each end of the journey. A 57XX in BR Black would be suitable, probably with a crimson autocoach.

Only 14XX, 64XX (coming as RTR) and, under BR WR, some 45XX, tank engines were auto-fitted on the GWR / WR.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »
5572 (4575 class with sloping tanks) was fitted with auto gear and still is - I was one of the team that did the restoration and Dapol made one in black with an early crest which I have amongst a few others.

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:39:09 AM by Hailstone »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here