!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thornton Gate of the Blackpool Tramway  (Read 64457 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Thornton Gate of the Blackpool Tramway
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »
Thanks for the update, Tom (and Anna).

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2016, 11:36:35 PM »
 :hellosign:Tom& Anna   :greatpicturessign: thanks for the updates
regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2016, 11:06:51 AM »
Looking good. Hope you get a few invites this year so we get chance to see TG in operation.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
Thornton Gate (We're still alive!)
« Reply #213 on: August 11, 2016, 07:51:15 PM »
Hello all, this is just a very quick update!

Sorry it been a bit of a while... I am still alive, I've been very busy with everything else going on in life!

Just to say thanks very much for the contacts and messages of concern about the quietness of this thread during 2016.
I can assure you all is fine with Anna, myself and Thornton Gate!

I am yet to post about the Settle show we did at the start of the year, which has been our only outing this year, I will get around to posting that!
And I have a dozen new ideas and mini projects still to do. But sometimes your just not in the mood, which has been the case for this year.

Still... Onwards and upwards

Tom :-)  :thankyousign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
Re: Thornton Gate (We're still alive!)
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2016, 05:26:29 AM »

I can assure you all is fine with Anna, myself and Thornton Gate!

Good to hear that, Tom. Best regards to you all.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2017, 09:31:57 PM »
Remember that show report from March last year (2016).... No? Well thats because i've only just gotten around to writing it!

So sorry about that!

Settle was the only outing for Thornton Gate during 2016, this was manly due to us needing a bit of a break from the project and myself unfortunately having a few health issues...

But still...

Above: The show as held in March at the local Primary School in Settle which is a really lovely town. This being the first time Anna and myself had visited. After setup we spent the lighter evening on the platform of Settle station hoping to see something interesting using the famous Settle to Carlisle route, as it happend all we did see were Ex BR 1989 build Northern Rail Class 158 DMU's (We get the same type of trains at home).... never mind!   

To the show!

Above: Another school, another sports hall! This one was not to bad, the show had a mix of local layouts and a slot car racing track display by the local scout group which gave a nice local mix. Thornton Gate was the guest layout invited by the organiser and we were all to happy to participate!

Above: So by now are normal setup and ready for the one day event, the layout of cource had been service and clean prior to attending but never hurts to do a re-clean before operations start for the day.

Jubilee Car 762 and a flying Balloon no 713 opened operations

And later joined by the single deckers no 624 (incorrectly numbered yellow centenary class) and Metro coastlines Brush car 636, seen in the station area with pink metro coastlines Balloon car no 710.

Above: As always acting works car Balloon Class no. 701 stayed stable with its trailer wagons in the yard for most of the day, and as its winter still (well early spring) sports its snow plough once again.

Were would we be with out Tram Car failures? KitKat Centenary no 741 and 'Tiger' livery  Brush car no. 622 letting the side down again! As of Jan 2017 both are still awaiting attention, but like all the other times stock has let go during a show they'll be back!

Yes so overall i nice weekend away, Thornton Gate was we'll received and after almost a years rest we're looking forward to the upcoming 2017 exhibition season, where we have some big changes and upgrades to do!

Details will be posted in the coming month or so, we'll be at some really cool venues this year, many being one off special shows! I always love exhibiting in the wired and odd places!

More to and will follow....!

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2017, 12:19:14 AM »
I always love exhibiting in the wired and odd places!
Is that a typo Tom, or a hint...  ;)

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2017, 12:24:36 AM »
I always love exhibiting in the wired and odd places!
Is that a typo Tom, or a hint...  ;)

Oh its a hint!  :D :P

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
Thanks for the update, Tom.
Best wishes to you and Anna.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
Thornton Gate back under construction!
« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »

Its time for another update.... and.....

We're doing a spot of house keeping as in some much needed repairs and upgrades to the very fabric of the layout.

First up, Anna has been replacing the side panels, as I felt the originals were now to large and heavy, and i really wanted to bring the overall height and top banner down a bit.

The end result, Both these new end boards which are simple pine frames skinned with hardboard will be painted matt black both sides to give a more minimal and less distracting appearance.

The end 'shelf' panels are also going to be replace and so taking a hammer to the layout, the current set have been knocked out, ready for new smarter ones to be installed.

The back scene has also had some attention, mainly were the two boards meet, as this area had an awful gap between the boards and had become shabby and knocked about, hence the need to cut back both boards and recut new sections. These new sections have / will be doubled up for strength and when finished should give a nice neat join line.... well thats the plan!

Scenically, I've not done to much at the moment, but have removed most of the vans from the yard area and sanded down the roadway which was always a bit bumpy, the plan will be to give this a new reskim of plaster and general tidy up.

We're also hoping to say goodbye to the current 1970's transit vans with more modern replacements.

So there we are for the moment, March 2017 is going to be a busy month while we get these updates in place. I'm hoping to do some more scenic work such as static grassing and replacing of fencing etc but we'll see how time goes.

We are next due out at the Severn Valley Railway open weekend on April 8th and 9th 2017, we'll be in the Engine House Museum at Highley, Shropshire.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:41:14 PM by Balloon_726 »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2017, 04:20:18 PM »
Thanks Tom.

We're also hoping to say goodbye to the current 1970's transit vans with more modern replacements.

It wouldn't surprise me if some folks on the forum would be interested if you put them on the N'Porium!

Online Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »
With a bit of luck, we shall be at the show in Highley on the 9th. Looking forward to seeing the mods.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
First public outing of 2017!!! - Show Report.
« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »
Repairs done, Layout glued back together! .... Thornton Gate did its first public outing of 2017!

The Severn Valley Railways April Open House Weekend was the first event of 2017 for us...

.. With the rather splendid back scene of a Midland diagram WD 8F locomotive undercover inside the museum at Highly.

Above: As mentioned in my last post, The layout has had some 'life extending' improvements for 2017 including new lower side panels and baseboard repairs. So now looking very smart!

Behind the scenes, the fiddle yard got some attention + repaint, as did the new backscene areas. The speakers that provide the sound effects for the layout have been rewired and moved to the top of the boards, so the volume can be turned down a bit!

Cosmetically, we're halfway though the updates for this year. The new yard road plaster work had improved the look of the yard a lot in my opinion. As seen here p'way 701 seen stabled on the yard as per normal.

Above: Balloon 726 at Thronton Gate station.

Operationally, we've had to do a bit of patch job to get things working as some cars had failed since running over a year ago, mainly with DCC decoders that might have burnt out after Settle last year.

Brush car no. 622 (blown DCC chip) and "kitkat' Centenary tram 641 (split gear) were in need of repair as we wanted them for the show. As mentioned 641 a real pain to keep running is such a crowd pleaser, but had now gone though its second chassis!

In the end it was easier to do a strait chassis swap with two lesser used cars so Jubilee 762 gave up its chassis to Brush 622 and Centenary 624 (642) give its Bachmann PPC unit to 641 rendering both 762 and 624 as spare parts body shells only.

And with that sorted it we were ready for two days of intensive running!

Jubilee 761 and Brush car 636 on north bound Fleetwood service

Above: All was going well on day one then ... Jubilee 761 which was one of the first cars I ever built and the most reliable of the fleet broke down....for the first time ever at a show! Unable to fix it on the day the car was dumped on the centre road for the remainder of the day.

Above: As things quieted down by about 4PM other cars joined 761 on centre line to be stabled until the end of the day, here Balloons 710 and 'Fat door' 713 are seen being no longer required for the remaining hour or so.

Day 2....

So onto day 2 and 701 with trailers started the day at around 10:30am, the layout being left in the unheated shed all night had led to condensation build up on the rail head so 701 did some laps to clean up the rails and test for any bad spots and dirt etc....

As we were so near home for this show I had been able overnight to get Jubilee 761 back up and running for day 2, as it happened it was the only failure of the show, with all other cars performing the gruelling hours of continued running very well!

Overall the layout was once again very well received by the public with a few invites to future shows across the country... 2018 season looks to be building all ready!

So we'll end with day 2 last hour centre line stables with Balloons 726, 711 and standard 147 parked up for the final time at this show.

We've still got things to do, updates, repairs etc, are next outing for 2017 will be announced shortly its next month (June 2017).... more info to follow in a bit

But for now thanks for reading!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »
Thanks for the pics and the update, Tom.
The layout is already looking very smart and I'm sure will be even more appreciated after 'Cosmetics - part deux'.
Any shows planned in the Lancs or nearby area?

Offline Balloon_726

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
Thanks for the pics and the update, Tom.
The layout is already looking very smart and I'm sure will be even more appreciated after 'Cosmetics - part deux'.
Any shows planned in the Lancs or nearby area?

As ever thank you for your kind words!
And yes now you mention it....

Just this little event.... Happening at Blackpool Transports Rigby Road tram depot in 5 weeks time!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal