Need help photographing models

Started by RBTKraisee, August 03, 2023, 06:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icairns

Quote from: RBTKraisee on August 13, 2023, 05:13:16 PMBealman makes a great point - I'd be really interested to see your lighting setup, if you can possibly get a shot next time its all setup?

Cheers,

Ross.

@Bealman and @RBTKraisee:

My setup is not very exciting but it does seem to work, although it may not comply with the normal rules for photography.

My railway room is on the side of the house that does not get direct sunlight so I am always struggling for natural light.  To compensate for this, I use the two light stands shown in the photo below, each fitted with a 1,600 lumens LED lightbulb.  By carefully positioning the light stands and adjusting the heights, shadows can almost always be eliminated. 

The stands came with those white umbrellas for diffusing light but they always seemed to get in the way so I stopped using them.  They also reduced the light for the subject. 

While taking photographs, I have the three room lights on and use a flash(!).  I just have to be careful not to get too much glare with the flash (it is sometimes difficult to do this and I may have to take multiple photos before I am satisfied).

Even after using all of this, I sometimes use Affinity Photo software to increase the exposure by one stop to make the photos look brighter.

I hope this is of interest.

Ian

Bealman

Thanks for that. The setup is simple but very effective.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Bealman

Mind you, the green Type 4 on the left may have a slight problem  ;)  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

RBTKraisee

Quote from: icairns on August 13, 2023, 08:20:05 PM
Quote from: RBTKraisee on August 13, 2023, 05:13:16 PMBealman makes a great point - I'd be really interested to see your lighting setup, if you can possibly get a shot next time its all setup?

Cheers,

Ross.

@Bealman and @RBTKraisee:

My setup is not very exciting but it does seem to work, although it may not comply with the normal rules for photography.

My railway room is on the side of the house that does not get direct sunlight so I am always struggling for natural light.  To compensate for this, I use the two light stands shown in the photo below, each fitted with a 1,600 lumens LED lightbulb.  By carefully positioning the light stands and adjusting the heights, shadows can almost always be eliminated. 

The stands came with those white umbrellas for diffusing light but they always seemed to get in the way so I stopped using them.  They also reduced the light for the subject. 

While taking photographs, I have the three room lights on and use a flash(!).  I just have to be careful not to get too much glare with the flash (it is sometimes difficult to do this and I may have to take multiple photos before I am satisfied).

Even after using all of this, I sometimes use Affinity Photo software to increase the exposure by one stop to make the photos look brighter.

I hope this is of interest.

Ian

That's brilliant, thank you!

Looks like I might need to get some lights then, too :(  $33 for a pair on stands on scamazon. Not too bad, I guess.

Ross.

---=== B Minus 1 Day ===---
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

maridunian

The key thing is to get the light source behind you and the camera, shining from an angle that prevents your shadow falling onto the subject. This could be natural or artificial light. If the subject's shadows are too dark, use ambient light or a secondary source to lighten them.

Here's my study. The ceiling light bar has 3 100W equivalent LED spots.

If shadows are too stark (ie not enough daylight in the room), I point my LED anglepoise sideways to fill in.

Here's a recent photo taken with an Olympus TG-6 compact with focus stacking.

Most of the model photos I take (including those shown in my shop, see below) used my Sony phone sitting on the layout or held on a tripod (most selfie sticks have a suitable adaptor).

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Coyote

I use a Meike 320 flash with a diffuser so that the flash goes in all directions except straight on and stops any shadows from appearing. The shutter is also set for a two second delay so there is no finger bounce affecting the camera.

Dave

Visit Mossdale's YouTube channel for a view of a 1920's LMS railway in North Yorkshire or Mossdale Road for some shunting

https://youtube.com/@MossdaleNGaugeRailway

RBTKraisee

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 13, 2023, 07:43:51 PM
Quote from: RBTKraisee on August 13, 2023, 05:13:58 PM
Quote from: Nbodger on August 12, 2023, 08:23:20 PMOn BB posted images if you wish to enlarge, right mouse click and open image in a new tab

That's a good idea. Even if you are barred from all my threads for a week ;)

Ross.

---=== B Minus 2 Days ===---

@Nbodger I think the poor man is getting his Mikes and Micks mixed up :)

Yes, sorry. Between taking Deb to her various docs, the kits, fixing multiple computers for a friend and 4am viewing of the Perseids, I've gotten only about 8 hours sleep in the last three nights. Not good. Definitely not good!

It really is amazing how your time gets used up when you're supposedly on a break!

And just to confirm, it's Newport Numpty who's the target of my ire right now!!!  :smiley-laughing:

Ross.

---=== B Minus 1 Day ===---
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%