!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kimbolted - the layout room  (Read 101621 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Kimbolted - the layout room
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2016, 03:00:02 PM »
@Zwilnik
The Peco SL-E395F can be made to fit (for some reason the geometry isn't an exact match for the code 55 small points I am using) but it looks as if I'm going to give myself 2 extra headaches if I proceed:-

1. The track would emerge from the fiddle yard through the backscene and then appear from the ground floor of a factory/warehouse which would look a bit odd :hmmm:

2. It seems the electrofrog diamond crossing requires wiring through a DPDT switch and, as anyone who knows me can tell you, stuff like that just makes me shy away as I'm a complete electrickery numpty. OK, this diagram is for the code 83 version but I guess the principle is the same :worried:
http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Instruction%20sheets/Code%2083%20Electrofrog%20A4%20Eng.pdf

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #421 on: September 22, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
@Zwilnik
The Peco SL-E395F can be made to fit (for some reason the geometry isn't an exact match for the code 55 small points I am using) but it looks as if I'm going to give myself 2 extra headaches if I proceed:-

1. The track would emerge from the fiddle yard through the backscene and then appear from the ground floor of a factory/warehouse which would look a bit odd :hmmm:

2. It seems the electrofrog diamond crossing requires wiring through a DPDT switch and, as anyone who knows me can tell you, stuff like that just makes me shy away as I'm a complete electrickery numpty. OK, this diagram is for the code 83 version but I guess the principle is the same :worried:
http://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Instruction%20sheets/Code%2083%20Electrofrog%20A4%20Eng.pdf

There are plenty of factory/dock/industrial rail layouts where lines have run through buildings, so that shouldn't be too bad. Another option is if it's a hopper loading bay for instance. I'll see if I can find a good reference photo.

As it's in the fiddle yard you can probably get away with an insulfrog diamond crossing, which makes life a *lot* easier.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #422 on: September 22, 2016, 03:38:16 PM »

As it's in the fiddle yard you can probably get away with an insulfrog diamond crossing, which makes life a *lot* easier.

Electrics wise, quite possibly but, as I posted earlier, the fiddle yard is only accessible by me crawling under the layout so any stalling by small locos would be a PITA.
Believe me, your help is proving invaluable!

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #423 on: September 22, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »

Electrics wise, quite possibly but, as I posted earlier, the fiddle yard is only accessible by me crawling under the layout so any stalling by small locos would be a PITA.
Believe me, your help is proving invaluable!

that's a good point (hah!). Another option would be to use 2 sets of points instead of a crossover. You'd be able to use electrofrogs without wiring hassles but it would make the crossover a bit longer, so you'd have slightly less space to turn the track through the backboard.

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #424 on: September 22, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
As far as hiding the back scene exit, looking at various pics of cement works, it looks like there are a few possibly buildings in them that have trains running through. That or a simple rail warehouse with a through line.

If you can set the loading hoppers up to be just in front of the back scene, then you could use them to cover it :)

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi139.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq301%2Fggpaine%2FBoothbay%2520Railroad%2FDragon%2520Cement%2F09-04-09DragonCementLoadingandMainG.jpg&f=1

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #425 on: September 22, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »
I have a couple of code 55 diamond crossings, I used them on the old layout, I had two crossover junctions. I had the frog wired to the point connected to the crossover it was easy to wire up. If you want one of them let me know.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #426 on: September 22, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »
If you put the unloading facility against the backscene then you could have a loaded train going through to the fiddle yard and another empty coming out. Two trains, one clockwise the other anti-clockwise. Just a thought. :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #427 on: September 22, 2016, 08:13:35 PM »
As far as hiding the back scene exit, looking at various pics of cement works, it looks like there are a few possibly buildings in them that have trains running through. That or a simple rail warehouse with a through line.

If you can set the loading hoppers up to be just in front of the back scene, then you could use them to cover it :)

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi139.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fq301%2Fggpaine%2FBoothbay%2520Railroad%2FDragon%2520Cement%2F09-04-09DragonCementLoadingandMainG.jpg&f=1

Thanks for the pic but there's no way I have the space for anything like that! The Walthers gravel Company kit actually has quite a small footprint and, with the 15 weathered Preslos, I may be able to hide things :hmmm:

I have a couple of code 55 diamond crossings, I used them on the old layout, I had two crossover junctions. I had the frog wired to the point connected to the crossover it was easy to wire up. If you want one of them let me know.

Thanks Chris. If they are the short electrofrog version (SL-E395F) I'd appreciate one and could perhaps pay you for it at the Wigan show (Saturday 1st Oct).

If you put the unloading facility against the backscene then you could have a loaded train going through to the fiddle yard and another empty coming out. Two trains, one clockwise the other anti-clockwise. Just a thought. :)

Not really possible as the backscene will have the High Street running along it above the railway track level so the factory/warehouse will hide a stretch of the road. Space just doesn't allow what you suggest and the stone retaining wall I intend to use between the road level and the track level would already be pierced 3 times by the railway. I think a fourth maybe a hole too far in just an 8ft length.
Thanks for your input, though!

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #428 on: September 22, 2016, 08:54:22 PM »
Sorry Mick they are SL-E394F long crossing, they are a match for the SL-E395/6F medium points or SL-E391/2 small radius points with a crossing angle of 10". The number you have has confused me slightly, my catalogue is 2012 vintage, have they changed the numbers?

In my catalogue the short crossing is SL-E393F, crossing angle is 20".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:58:10 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #429 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »
Sorry everyone. Looks like a typo for the code as the short crossing code 55 electrofrog is SL-E393F

http://www.hattons.co.uk/7644/Peco_Products_SL_E393F_Finescale_short_crossing_with_electrofrog/StockDetail.aspx

:sorrysign:

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #430 on: September 22, 2016, 09:37:59 PM »
Hi Mick what point is that you are using on your fiddle yard, and it looks like a small piece of track before the next point( where the join is), I am sure the long crossing will fit plus it will be the same geometry/ angle has your point. The long crossing is just over 6", I will check when I find it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:50:47 PM by lil chris, Reason: correction »
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #431 on: September 23, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »
@lil chris

You are spot on, my friend. The small point + a small length of track you see come to a total of 6" in length so a longer crossing would be possible.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #432 on: September 23, 2016, 04:59:18 PM »
Hi Mick I thought it would fit, I will find it tonight I know I have two plus a single slip in a box somewhere.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
@newportnobby
Good news Mick I have the crossover, they come with 4 wires attached, 2 frog wires and 2 feed wires, they are easy to wire up if you use a point motor connected to the crossing which has two switches. They worked good when I was using them, you are on dc though, I would imagine the wiring is the same. By the way I have a single slip has well, they are the same length which would probably give you better running, you would of course need two motors. The only thing with the slips I removed the springs because I was using it with the cobalt motors, the live frogs are easy to wire with the cobalt motors.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:14:29 PM by lil chris, Reason: spelling »
Lil Chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #434 on: September 24, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
@lil chris
Thanks Chris. I'll take a crossover off you if I may, and perhaps we could catch up at the Wigan Show.
The single slip would be a step too far for me, I think, but, out of curiosity, why would you need two motors for something with one tiebar? :confused2:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal