!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Terrier  (Read 17010 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Terrier
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2015, 05:21:10 PM »
Hi

Further to my previous post I have now increased the weight of my Dapol Terrier with the following

Want to give that post another go? I'd be interested to know what you did!

Dave G

Online Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2016, 09:21:42 AM »
I've only just found this thread missed it last year ,I picked up a second hand terrier at a show last year it was an impulse buy and at a good price . I am absolutely amazed how a tiny little loco like that can pull 6 coaches without even any signs of slipping my other two are only capable of three ,four at a pinch once the train is moving ,how come there is such a difference between the same type of Locos ?
Bob

Offline FourWheelCoach

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 09:51:23 AM »
If you want something denser than lead to weight your loco get some tungsten.

TIG welding electrodes are suitable and the stub left over after they are beyond further use for welding is big enough to use. Ask a TIG welder to save them for you.

Tungsten carbide drill bits are dense too and eventually wear out or break.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »
I've only just found this thread missed it last year ,I picked up a second hand terrier at a show last year it was an impulse buy and at a good price . I am absolutely amazed how a tiny little loco like that can pull 6 coaches without even any signs of slipping my other two are only capable of three ,four at a pinch once the train is moving ,how come there is such a difference between the same type of Locos ?
Bob

I've noticed this too and am convinced it has to do with how the resistor is wired, but that may not be the case. Someone recommended to me that you strip them all, clean the gears, and run them all for an hour afterwards on a test loop like you were running them in, and that they should level out in terms of responsiveness, which may or may not change the hauling capacity some.

The real doozy is the M7, where about 50% seem to pull 2 coaches, 30% 3, 15% 4, and 5% 4 or more lol There are lots of discussions about why but none of them seem to explain all the variation. Lol The mysteries of the hobby
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Offline CirroCu

• 'onest Chief, it came off in me 'and!
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
I have six Terriers, all in different liveries and five converted to DCC. One, "Freshwater", in Isle of Wight livery I bought second hand on EBay but the tags holding the body to chassis are too loose and so the conversion failed and it now sits in a siding. The other five all run well, but some better than others.
I bought two of the new ones, "Bodiham" in K&ESR blue and "Portishead" in GWR in"Shirtbutton" green. The latter a bit foreign but we did get occasional visitors (Rule 1).
I contacted DCC Supplies Ltd to ask if and when they could fit decoders and they said send them in, which I did at the begining of March.  To cut a (very and frustrating) long story short I was informed at the begining of June that following complaints to Dapol about the body clips becoming too loose to hold the motor in place the manufacturers now glue the body and chassis together and it is impossible to fit a decoder.
As the two locos were, I assume, damaged in the attempt to fit decoders Dapol have been asked to supply me with replacements. Needless to say I am still waiting and when they do arrive I am afraid they are going to be sitting in the siding with Freshwater.
Unless, of course, someone out there has a suggestion?
I have plenty of will power, just no won't power.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »
That is very interesting, I bought Bodiam in KE&ER livery a few months ago. It is a great runner but the body is not a good fit on the chassis so I can understand them glueing them together. The problem is that they become a sealed unit so if they go wrong you can't repair them.

It sounds like the tooling is getting worn.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »
I like the 'Thames' release in LBSCR livery. A massive improvement on the livery, scalloped corners and the cab front and back, tank fronts and toolbox lined.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
I like the 'Thames' release in LBSCR livery. A massive improvement on the livery, scalloped corners and the cab front and back, tank fronts and toolbox lined.

Agreed! Only major thing left is the Westinghouse pump which would be very difficult to line, I imagine. A really strong update in terms of livery.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Online NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 05:31:34 PM »
You're right! I've got a 'Stepney' picked up secondhand at a recent show, and thought it was lovely. But this new version is even nicer!

Regardless, these locos seem to be among the better tank engines Dapol have made. Mine certainly runs more reliable (and pulls more) than either my Prairie or my 14xx.

Cheers, NeMo

NGS Journal Editor

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »
No front or rear bogies to worry about  :)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal