!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol  (Read 2854 times)

Offline geminijkr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9914
    • Awards
Dapol
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Hi to all,
I have just joined this forum and after browsing through the Dapol Steam section, I thought some of you might be interested in my experience.  I have 3 9Fs which run well but the first one suffered from the bogie problem and after several communications with Dapol have not been able to get them to send me the replacement part to fix it. A SAE from Canada doesn't work! I have two B1s with which I have had no problems with but I prefer the Farish ones, (I have four) which run slightly better. I have two Brits but the first one broke its wire between loco and tender. As it was out of warranty, after communication both with the retailer and Dapol, I attempted to solder it myself. I had the same problem with Ixion but it was still in warranty and was replaced. I was quite proud of my soldering as it is very fiddly but after, it just sat on the track and got hot, so that will go to BR Lines in due course as I now understand they are the repair agent for Dapol, (they seem very busy with a reported 14 week wait). I have two B17s, the orginal one runs well but has limited haulage up my gradients compared to the other Dapol and Farish models and the second one was worse and gets very hot so that one will be relegated to the display cabinet for the time being. I have one of the original 2MT tanks that runs well but the fornt bogie has trouble staying on track like the 9F.
Just so you dont think this is just anti Dapol, I have had to replace a Farish Jubilee and A1. The second Jubilee is still a bit temperamental. It seems quality control is definitely not a strong point of these newer models which are definitely a big impovement in detail and accuracy.
Regards
Keith

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Dapol
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
Hi Keith - welcome to the forum :wave:

Thanks for your comments which pretty much bear out what most members have said. QC does seem to be a bit hit and miss but luckily I personally have had very few issues with any of the manufacturers.
Are you modelling any particular location or era??

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »
Welcome :wave:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline geminijkr

• N Gauge Society Number: 9914
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »
Hi,
I model the East Lincolnshire Railway, originally based on Louth station and early 50s so a mixture of LNER and BR. about 2 years ago I extended my finished basement and now have a layout roughly 20' by 5' with a L shape of 9' and I have added Spalding to my layout with a much more complex layout with the GN and GE joint as well as the M&GN.  The availablity of Peco single and double slips and threeway point has made it possible. Needless to say I have had to compromise a bit so only have one junction on the South end which serves as both the GN&ER and the M&GN. I could have used another six inches in width to spread out the goods area and cattle loading pens but it is pretty close to Spalding as it was in the late 50's early sixties before the closure of the M&GN. I now model BR Eastern with a mixture of steam and early diesel. Unfortunately the changes meant that Louth had to lose its engine shed, which had closed by that time anyway. When I get a bit further along I will post some photographs.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
Welcome,

Hearing of the 14 week wait I guess my Dapol 9F with a broken tender to loco wire will be idle for another year or so...  >:( Thankfully I still have my reliable minitrix 9tannias  :smiley-laughing:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Bikeracer

• N Gauge Society Number: 21763
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
I won't even look at Dapol locos on Ebay never mind buy new because of the none availability of spares.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »
I won't even look at Dapol locos on Ebay never mind buy new because of the none availability of spares.

Allan

Lots of spares on ebay - in the form of broken locos  :smiley-laughing:. Also some spares now via BR Lines.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline anselm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20354
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
Hearing of the 14 week wait I guess my Dapol 9F with a broken tender to loco wire will be idle for another year or so...  >:( Thankfully I still have my reliable minitrix 9tannias  :smiley-laughing:

I've been waiting 5 months and still no sign of it being returned.  Luckily my layout hasn't been available for much of that time.

Ian  :(

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
5 months to get a wire soldered? Wish you'd posted here - I could have done that for you in 20 minutes!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
I haven't had a lot of luck with their steam locos and I have had a few problem diesels too, but I have a Hall which is excellent. My A4 is going back to the seller I bought it from due to some awful noises eminating from it.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal